Why the Nikon F6?

Old September 21st 04, 09:36 PM
Wesley Jansen

"TP" wrote in message

Nikon specifically made a major statement to the world press, in
English, to remove any ambiguity about plans for future DSLRs. For
the avoidance of doubt, Nikon made it quite clear that full frame
DSLRs do not feature in their plans for the foreseeable future, and
that development would concentrate on APS-size sensors.

So please get that fact into your head, and stop dreaming.

Actually there is very much speculation on an upcoming D3 in dpreview.
Personally I've been an advocate of DX because I don't see why we have to be
chained to 35mm type systems. Most like FF because it lets them use their
existing wide angles. Nikon has offered DX wide angles and it's speculated
that IF they did make a FF available, it would be able to detect a DX lens
and crop accordingly. Even Canon offers DX style lenses now, which seems to
indicate they are committed to the smaller size too in the consumer/prosumer
models. Of course the other advantage of FF (for now at least) is larger
pixel sizes which SHOULD translate into better images (not always the case,
though). But large chips aren't easy or economical to produce yet, so FF
cameras may occupy only a small niche of sales. If Nikon's images from the
D2x are even close to expectations, FF may be a mute point. But if the new
Canon is significantly better, I wouldn't fall off my chair in astonishment
if in the not-too-distant future, Nikon announces a FF. By the way, I pity
those who don't have the capacity to dream. ;-)

Old September 21st 04, 10:09 PM
William Graham

"Nick C" wrote in message

"Mark M" wrote in message

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Dallas" wrote in message
news On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 13:33:21 -0700, Mark M wrote:

Yes.
And BMWs break down at a ratio of about 4:1 compared with Toyotas.

In other words... Toyotas are actually more likely to get you to
your
destination.
Expensive does not always mean better in every sense. Which would I
rather
own?
That depends.
If I want to have fun taking corners around town, give me the BMW.

If
want to rest assured that I'll make it up the rough, dirt, Dalton
Highway
to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska (for the third time...), I'll happily

keep
my Toyota Land Cruiser.

My deepest sympathies.

I owned a BMW E36 for about 3 years. I have never experienced

motoring
pleasure like that from any other motor vehicle manufacturer. If by
some
twist of fate your BMW does break down, rest assured, you will be

assisted
within minutes if you are in a major centre.

I put 80,000 miles on a BMW K-100 motorcycle without one single
problem......This represents more reliability than any automobile I

have
ever owned, and pretty phenomenal for a motorcycle........

I do have the impression that BMW motorcycles are exceptionally

reliable.
My great uncle owns no less than 23 BMW motorcycles, and loves to talk
endlessly about how great they are. I believe him.
Unfortunately, both BMW and Mercedes automobiles don't have very good
reliablility statistics compared with rival like Lexus and some other
Japanese makes.

I rode a bike for 16 years and have the body scars to prove it.

In that time, I owned a BMW bike and rode the sucker everywhere. Went up

the
Alcan highway to Alaska and back a couple of times. The BMW was one of the
last bikes I had.

My son has a BMW car; bought it new a couple of years ago. Occasionally I
drive it. It's not bad. It has one of the best transmissions available.

But
recently, he had a major tune-up and it cost him a tad over $1,500
buckaroos. I like driving my Ford truck. Recently I had a major on it and

it
cost me $80.

I liked the British Triumph, though it leaked oil. Rode an A.J. 500cc
one-lunger thumper (as we called them) and also had the British Norton

(lots
of low end torque) but it was a killer bike on sharp turns going through

the
mountains. Had a bunch of Japanese bikes, a few "Hog's;" some were flat
heads and some were OHC's. They were good road machines but they were

hard
on chains. But the best riding (comfortable) bike was the BMW. It was a

darn
good touring machine.

nick

Yes....Those were the days......Really interesting machinery....I had a BSA
440 Victor....It was a thumper too, with lots of low end torque....Also had
a German Zundap, a two cycle off-road bike. And numerous British
bikes....One was a two cycle "gentleman's bike" an Ambassador. 175 cc
single....Made for commuting in a suit and tie......All of these were before
the Japanese, (especially Honda) took over the motorcycle industry.

Old September 21st 04, 10:20 PM
William Graham

"TP" wrote in message
"Nick C" wrote:

[...]

I regularly rode 200 miles on my BMW and always got off the bike as
fresh as when I got on. It was supremely comfortable; the combination
of seat and suspension was perfect.

My previous ride was a Triumph 650cc Tiger, with a full fairing. I
couldn't ride more then 60-70 miles without having to stop and tighten
several nuts and bolts that had shaken loose. I remember going to the
local bike workshop and asking them if they could cure, or at least
reduce the oil leaks. They just laughed out loud. And laughed out
loud some more. How I wished I had stayed with Honda ...

My best friend bought a new Norton Commando in John Player Norton
livery (basically white with red and blue details). He got a free
white John Player Norton jacket free with the bike, and proudly wore
it as he rode around the English country lanes. I followed
respectfully on my well used Triumph ...

Within a few hours he was complaining about the bike's handling. The
rear end kept getting out of line. It was then I noticed that he had
a lot of black dirt on the back of his jacket - effectively a black
stripe vertically up the back.

It turned out that the dirt was engine oil, which was leaking out of
the crankcase breather and onto the rear tire, which then flicked it
up onto his jacket.

Happy days!

;-)

Working on British bikes was what taught me all the British mechanic's
terminology.....I can still remember reading in the Ambassador manual that I
should dip the chain in paraffin before reassembling it on the
bike.....So....I melted a block of my mother's canning wax, and dipped the
chain in it....Of course, when I put it on the bike, all the congealed wax
broke off, and I thought it was just some strange British way of getting any
sand and/or dirt off the chain........

Old September 21st 04, 10:33 PM
William Graham

"TP" wrote in message
"William Graham" wrote:

"TP" wrote in message
.. .
"William Graham" wrote:

I put 80,000 miles on a BMW K-100 motorcycle without one single
problem......This represents more reliability than any automobile I

have
ever owned, and pretty phenomenal for a motorcycle........

Agree 100%. I bought my BMW R65 in 1979 and sold it two years and
63,000 miles later having had no problems - except the need to replace
three rocker covers thanks to my (over-)enthusiastic cornering!

Yeah....I was racing with some guy riding a beemer down a winding

mountain
road a few years back. I backed off when I saw the sparks coming from

his
valve covers on the curves....I was afrain he was going to launch himself
off the edge of the cliff.....

My R65's cornering limit was definitely dictated by the geometry of
the rocker covers. For a time I rode with rocker covers that had been
ground down by contact with the road surface and thoroughly enjoyed
myself. When I realised the engine was losing oil through a small
hole in one rocker cover I replaced them both (they were fairly cheap)
and took a tumble soon after because the new rocker cover wouldn't
allow me to lean over quite so far as I needed to for the speed I had
chosen for that bend ...

When the bike was originally delivered I had side protection bars
fitted; these were intended to protect the rocker covers. I soon
removed them because they were far too limiting in terms of cornering
speeds, plus they added width I didn't need.

I don't know if the R65 was ever sold in North America. It was a
compact version of the BMW boxers that was available in 450cc and
650cc versions. It was about the size of a contemporary Honda 250 and
had much tauter handling than the larger R series boxers, plus rather
more engine power for its capacity than BMWs traditionally offered.

Yes it was....I had a couple of friends that had them....They were very much
like the R75/6 that was my first BMW, but, as you say, a bit smaller and
lighter....The 650 version could accelerate just as well as my 750. I would
still be riding my 750 except they stopped selling the 100+ octane gasoline
that it needed during the 80's and it would 'ping', or pre-detonate on the
poorer gas. I put heavier valve springs on mine, and retarded the timing,
but it still pinged, so I finally (in 1985) sold it for the newer K model.
That bike still sits in my garage today, and runs as well as it ever
did.....The only thing I have ever needed to do was to get rid of the Varta
battery, and put a Yuasa in it...........

Old September 21st 04, 10:52 PM
TP

"William Graham" wrote:

Yes it was....I had a couple of friends that had them....They were very much
like the R75/6 that was my first BMW, but, as you say, a bit smaller and
lighter....The 650 version could accelerate just as well as my 750. I would
still be riding my 750 except they stopped selling the 100+ octane gasoline
that it needed during the 80's and it would 'ping', or pre-detonate on the
poorer gas. I put heavier valve springs on mine, and retarded the timing,
but it still pinged, so I finally (in 1985) sold it for the newer K model.
That bike still sits in my garage today, and runs as well as it ever
did.....The only thing I have ever needed to do was to get rid of the Varta
battery, and put a Yuasa in it...........

I've never ridden a K series, but they look good. The other day I saw
a brand new BMW Boxer of about 1100cc. Beautiful bike.