Another Photo-Journalist added to the roll of honor.

Old January 28th 11, 09:39 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Another Photo-Journalist added to the roll of honor.

French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit
in the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering
the disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ouk-dolega-32/

Savageduck

Old January 29th 11, 02:22 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On 1/28/2011 4:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:

French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit in
the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering the
disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ouk-dolega-32/

Those guys put as much on the line, with less backup than the bravest of
troops. I have nothing but admiration for them.

--
Peter
Old January 30th 11, 01:14 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit in
: the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering the
: disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.
:
: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ouk-dolega-32/
:
:
: Those guys put as much on the line, with less backup than the bravest of
: troops. I have nothing but admiration for them.

And now photographers, probably including some of the same ones, are taking
similar risks to bring us the truth about what's happening in Egypt.

The U.S. is being begged and cajoled to take on a major role in helping rid
Egypt of Hosni Mubarak. We won't, of course. For nearly two generations
American policy in the Middle East has been dictated almost exclusively by
Israel, and Mubarak is as close to a friend as Israel has in the Arab world.
But at least Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton are saying some of the right
things, calling on Mubarak to reform his government and stop trying to crush
the protests. That's as much as we can expect; and quite frankly, most
Americans don't know what course of action would lead to a good outcome in
Egypt. All we know for sure is that whenever we try to throw our weight
around, things seem to get worse for whomever we're trying to help.

As for what our attitude would be in the best of all possible worlds, I prefer
this excerpt from our declaration of independence from Great Britain in 1776:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that
they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights; that among
these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these
rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from
the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes
destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to
abolish it and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such
principles, and organizing its power in such form, as to them shall seem most
likely to effect their safety and happiness."

If only.

Bob
Old January 31st 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-01-28 13:39:40 -0800, Savageduck said:

French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit
in the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering
the disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ouk-dolega-32/

What

a shame. Still, of him it can also be said that he lived.

Coverage of Tunis and Egypt in the US has been abominable, as usual.
Only Fox News has given it any air time at all. The other major
networks are more interested in doing news stories about the lives of
their talking heads, how much they get paid, etc. Have any of them
actually sent correspondents to the area?

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 31st 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-31 12:31:58 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2011-01-28 13:39:40 -0800, Savageduck said:

French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit
in the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering
the disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ouk-dolega-32/

What

shame. Still, of him it can also be said that he lived.

Coverage of Tunis and Egypt in the US has been abominable, as usual.
Only Fox News has given it any air time at all. The other major
networks are more interested in doing news stories about the lives of
their talking heads, how much they get paid, etc. Have any of them
actually sent correspondents to the area?

NBC, BBC, AP, & Reuters all seem to have a fair number of
correspondents & teams in the area, with most focused on Cairo. They
seem to be taking this seriously, as they should. These events do not
bode well for the Middle-East.

Something worth considering is, we have armed both the Egyptians and
the Israelis with all sorts of goodies, such as 1000 M1 Abrams tanks
for the Egyptians along with various other vehicles and weapons, and
218 F-16's. Then there is an order of AH-64 Apache gunships waiting
delivery.
The Israeli's already have 55 AH-1 Cobra's & 48 AH-64's. To match the
Egyptian F-16's, they have 286 F-16's, 43 F-15's, & 25 F-15E's. For a
ground war they have their own tank, the Merkava, of which they
currently have 1680 various models active with 300 in production. They
also have a tank reserve of 1550 based on M60 & M48 tanks.

So there could be a little more tension in the region than most are
comfortable with, and there is much twitching in Washington.

Savageduck

Old February 1st 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
peter

On 1/31/2011 8:55 PM, shiva das wrote:

By the way, who did Fox send to Egypt, Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck?

I hope they send both + Rush, for a start.
Perhaps Roger could help too.

BTW ever see this:

Particularly:

But with this new information, one thing is now uncertain. Did Fox
actually not know the name of the Kingdom Foundation leader or that he
is a News Corp investor? Or did they, as Stewart said, "purposefully
cover it up because it didn't help their fear-driven narrative?"

Stewart turned to John Oliver and Wyatt Cynac to figure out whether Fox
is, in fact, evil or stupid?

WATCH:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/23/stewart-fox-prince-alwaleed_n_692234.html

--
Peter
Old February 2nd 11, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-01-31 19:17:15 -0800, peter said:

On 1/31/2011 8:55 PM, shiva das wrote:

By the way, who did Fox send to Egypt, Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck?

I hope they send both + Rush, for a start.
Perhaps Roger could help too.

BTW ever see this:

Particularly:

But with this new information, one thing is now uncertain. Did Fox
actually not know the name of the Kingdom Foundation leader or that he
is a News Corp investor? Or did they, as Stewart said, "purposefully
cover it up because it didn't help their fear-driven narrative?"

Stewart turned to John Oliver and Wyatt Cynac to figure out whether Fox
is, in fact, evil or stupid?

WATCH:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/23/stewart-fox-prince-alwaleed_n_692234.html

Seems

to me that this obsession with Fox News, Limbaugh, Beck, and Palin is
extreme to the point of being a mental illness. And yet, those who keep
up these unreasoned, incessant and, may I say, irrational attacks refer
to their opposition as "wingnuts?" lol. Sounds like a serious case of
projection, to me.

Old February 2nd 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter N

On 2/2/2011 1:12 PM, C J Campbell wrote:
On 2011-01-31 19:17:15 -0800, peter said:

[...]

that statement has as much validity as they deadbeat who owes money
complaining about being asked for the money he refuses to pay.

--
Peter
Old February 2nd 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2011-01-31 12:31:58 -0800, C J Campbell

On 2011-01-28 13:39:40 -0800, Savageduck said:

French photo-journalist Lucas Mebrouk Dolega 32, dies after being hit
in the head by a police fired tear gas grenade in Tunis while covering
the disturbances in Tunis for Paris Match.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...-mebrouk-doleg
a-32/

What

[...]

Thanks, Duck, I share your concerns.

As to Fox's sheer domination of the coverage, I suppose the OP never
heard of CNN, ABC, CBS, PBS, Al Jazzeera Engish, New York Times, Wall
Street Journal, Washington Post, Agance France Press...

NBC had 6 correspondents on air from Cairo this evening.

I guess if one only watches Fox "news" and listens to wingnut talk radio
one might get the impression that no one else is covering the situation
in Egypt.

By the way, who did Fox send to Egypt, Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck?

Actually, I don't watch TV news much. I get most of my news from Wall
Street Journal, AP, NPR and USA Today apps on my iPad. TV is just about
dead. And anyone who throws me in with the "wingnuts" probably doesn't
read this news group much. I am a libertarian, unaffiliated with any
political party.

Old February 2nd 11, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-02-01 18:55:38 -0800, C J Campbell
said:

Actually, I don't watch TV news much. I get most of my news from Wall
Street Journal, AP, NPR and USA Today apps on my iPad. TV is just about
dead. And anyone who throws me in with the "wingnuts" probably doesn't
read this news group much. I am a libertarian, unaffiliated with any
political party.

How can you call yourself a Libertarian and claim to be unaffiliated
with any political party?
That is an oxymoronic statement.

The Libertarian Party is the third largest political party in the
country. There have been winning Libertarian Party candidates in US
elections since 1978. It hold ballot status, along with the GOP, and
the Democratic party in all 50 states.
Your last Libertarian Party Presidential candidate in 2008 was Bob
Barr. I am sure he appreciated your support.

Having no affiliation with a political party is to be an independent,
not a Libertarian. Unless you don't know what it means to be a
Libertarian, that is.

Savageduck