A positive form negative

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 31st 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Peter Irwin

Default A positive form negative

piterengel wrote:
Hi everybody. I need for a certain work to obtain some positives from
negatives. I can't treat all film with positive method, because a part
of photos must remain negatives. I have a Contax Auto PC Bellow with
slide duplicator, and a RTS II camera. Photos are taken using an
Ilford Delta 100 film, developed in ID11. I want to use the same film
for positives. My questions a

The film to use for making positives on 35mm film is
Eastman 5302 Fine Grain Release Positive. I bought
some from Kodak in Toronto a few years ago for something
like $CAN 17 for a 100 foot roll. Kodak Motion Imaging
will probably still be willing to sell you a roll, it
is also listed for sale at electron microscope suppliers
because it is used by some models of electron microscopes
as well as by the motion picture industry.

The speed of 5302 is somewhere around 3 ASA, but this
depends a bit on development and how much blue and violet
are in the light source. Develop in Dektol 1:1 for 5 minutes.
You can adjust contrast a little by playing around with
different developers. The film looks like white plastic.
It can be handled fairly freely under any safelight for
B&W enlarging paper. You should have no trouble bulk loading
it into 135 cartridges by hand.

Peter.