Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 14th 18, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 00:26:36 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb
stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

automatic backups, without the user having to do anything special.

Yes yes yes. But you are not saying where are those automatic backups
stored.

either the cloud or an external hard drive. all the user needs to do is
enable backups, which is trivial.

They don't know what an external hard drive is, don't have one, and need
hours of training on how to use it. Similarly with the cloud, but even
worse because their internet is slow, and wifi is also slow.

there is no training. plug it in, click a button. done.

My sister has used Apple computers for many many years. I sent her a
batch of photographs (JPG) on a USB stick and despite seeking help
from her neighbours she never managed to view the photographs. In the
beginning she had not the faintest idea of what to do with the USB
stick. I am sure she is not alone.

that has nothing to do with backups, the topic under discussion.

Of course it has. I was illustrating how helpless untrained people can
be when faced with anything but the most basic of tasks.

however, it does further the point that people incorrectly assume
computers are hard to use, which requires technical skills and
extensive training.

For her, they are. Anything much beyond facebook or email is terra
icognito.

you should also have known that your own sister would not know what to
do with a usb stick. why even send her one in the first place?

Why should I? We have lived in different countries for 60 years.

the easiest solution would have been to use photo sharing, then the
photos would have appeared on her devices without her needing to do
anything special, including an apple tv if she has one.

another option would have been to email or text the photos, or upload
them to a photo sharing site and then send her the links. it's not as
simple or as elegant, but it would have worked.

4GB?

Eric Stevens