a recommendation on a telephoto or zoom telephoto nikon lens.

Old December 7th 04, 08:56 PM

Default a recommendation on a telephoto or zoom telephoto nikon lens.

hi,

i recently started learning SLR "travel" photograhy and bought the
following based on earlier advice from this group:

nikon N70 body with 50mm/f1.4 and 24mm/f1.8 prime lenses. i took my
first shot out on a trip to the netherlands and was somewhat happy
with the results for a first timer.
(http://purnea.ee.princeton.edu/~pgupta/webalbum). many folks have
given me good tips for improvement so thanks for that.

i am very happy with the lenses I have but now i'm heading to sikkim
(eastern himalayas) and rajasthan in india this winter and i want to
shoot some closeups of the mountains and people etc. the main problem i
encountered with teh above was not being able to do closeup of objects
that are far away. i got lucky as netherlands is just plain flat and i
could get quite close to what i wanted to shot. it'll be a problem
trying to shoot a mountain while you are about 10 km from it.

i'm looking for recommendations on a nikon AF telephoto or zoom
telephoto lens that will be a good travel lens. i've been looking at a
80-200mm/f2.8 but $700 is beyond the budget for a student. if i can
find a used one for $350-400 (my budget) i'd be happy but haven't been
able to locate. some others have said don't get zooom, get primes. but
it'll be hassle for me to 5-6 prime lenses while trekking.

any recommendations for solid mid-range zoom telephoto lens that will
give good results that i should consider for a nikon n70 body.
thanks for your time.
pallav