Pentax Optio (released in Sept 2004)

Old November 19th 04, 03:21 PM
gt

Default Pentax Optio (released in Sept 2004)

The Pentax Optio has 4 MP and 10X optical zoom.

No image stabilization.

I would think that this camera would be a good one to consider, except for
that fact.

Anyone care to comment?

thanx

Old November 19th 04, 04:00 PM
Aerticeus

I am sure it is a very good camera and 10x optical is sweet

However, I rate IS (image stabilising mechanisms) very highly - whether it
be glass based or sensor based

FWIW

Aerticeus

new owner of Canon S1 IS 3MP and 10x optical (38 - 380 35mm equivalent)

. com...

Old November 20th 04, 07:19 AM
Jeremy

"gt" wrote in message
. com...
The Pentax Optio has 4 MP and 10X optical zoom.

No image stabilization.

I would think that this camera would be a good one to consider, except for
that fact.

Anyone care to comment?

thanx

Since you do not disclose what specific features are important to YOU, how
can we offer intelligent responses?

There are a gazillion digital cameras available, that cater to every
conceivable user. Much more so than any film camera ever did.

I don't use Image Stabilization. My trusty tripod does the job just fine.

Old November 20th 04, 08:29 AM
Aerticeus

Jeremy: I took a 0.3" exposure at 380mm (35 mm equiv) handheld and it was
very very reasonable

It would be nice to see a comparative review of the different IS systems but
I don't know how the reviewer's could remove subjectivity without resorting
to mechanical oscillators

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

. com...

Old November 20th 04, 08:44 AM
MarkČ

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

"gt" wrote in message
. com...
The Pentax Optio has 4 MP and 10X optical zoom.

No image stabilization.

I would think that this camera would be a good one to consider, except

for
that fact.

Anyone care to comment?

thanx

Since you do not disclose what specific features are important to YOU, how
can we offer intelligent responses?

There are a gazillion digital cameras available, that cater to every
conceivable user. Much more so than any film camera ever did.

I don't use Image Stabilization.

My trusty tripod does the job just fine.

Really?
Even in museums/churches where they aren't allowed? Or stalking wildlife?
Or hiking? Or shooting sports? Or moving children? Or candids?
Or...or...or... Tripods are great, but there are tons of
settings/situations where they are simply out of the question.

The guy obviously is intrestested in stabilization.
To him I would say that any hand-held camera using a 10x lens definitely
needs a stabilizer. If you're looking for a camera with that zoom ratio,
then IS should be a top priority. Take a look at Canon's S1 Pro--less MP,
but great lens.

Old November 20th 04, 10:20 AM
Aerticeus

These are my personal views:

I thought about 4MP or 5MP units with 10X optical zoom or more and one thing
put me off: image noise, even at ISO 64 equiv.

Try
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...QMAdOUWdCVRAr1

and
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...L2NXgAIEcSdVH0

Handheld shots, indoor with flash at 380mm (35mm equiv)

Look for noise in the second image :-)

Aerticeus

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

"Jeremy" wrote in message
ink.net...

. com...

Old November 20th 04, 11:03 AM
MarkČ

"Aerticeus" wrote in message
These are my personal views:

I thought about 4MP or 5MP units with 10X optical zoom or more and one

thing
put me off: image noise, even at ISO 64 equiv.

Try
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...QMAdOUWdCVRAr1

and
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...L2NXgAIEcSdVH0

Handheld shots, indoor with flash at 380mm (35mm equiv)

Look for noise in the second image :-)

Aerticeus

So because you bought a crummy camera, you're prepared to tell anyone
looking for stabilization to use just a tripod for everything?

That is the logic of a simpleton.

Old November 20th 04, 05:55 PM
MarkČ

"Aerticeus" wrote in message
Mark 2 - perhaps you'd like to link to some images you have taken?

Perhaps.

Here ya go:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/maui_2004