Pentax *ist D

Old August 13th 04, 01:22 PM

: Having said all that, the new Cheapo version is due out soon
: (September?) so if cost is an issue then you might find it worth
: waiting for that. However, I'm wondering if that will still have full
: backwards lens compatibility, or if it will retain the *istD's bright
: pentaprism viewfinder.

: Cheers
: TonyH

Anybody heard anything more about the Cheapo version? I heard the
announcement of an announcement a few months ago, but haven't heard any speculation
since then. I would hope that they use the same or better sensor, retain the
AA-compatible batteries, and just dummy-down the software a bit. I've used P&S
digicams enough to realize that for the most part I'm planning on using it as a
"digital light-proof box" to hold lenses. Most of the "features" on the digital
cameras are gear towards JPEG shooters. Shoot in RAW, focus/compose correctly, use
spot-metering, and exposure hold, and make sure the histogram doesn't blow out.
Anything else you can fix in post-processing.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *
* Electrical Engineering Ph.D. Graduate Student *

Old August 13th 04, 01:58 PM
Darrell Larose

Default Pentax *ist D

"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
. ..
BobS wrote:

About ready to make the jump to the Pentax *ist D but would like to get

couple of real world comments from those that own one already or have

used
it. I've read plenty of reviews - all favorable and the pro's and con's
about the sharpness and the CF card.

The card slot is a little annoying, but not more than that. The
sharpness is only an issue if you shoot JPEG or TIFF, because the camera
does the processing in that case. A little extra sharpening in Photoshop
is the remedy.

If you shoot RAW, which gives you much more control, the computer does
the processing and the sharpening. In other words; if you use Adobe
CameraRAW to open the RAW files, the sharpness should be no different
than it is for other digital cameras. I've blown up Pentax *istD images
to 60 x 80 cm on my Epson 7600, and the results are impressive.

Pentax offers their own RAW plugin as well as these other downloads;

*istD Firmware Update Version 1.11
*istD Photo Software update: Browser v1.11, Laboratory v1.10
RAW Plugin Module for Photoshop
Pentax Remote Assistant software

Old August 13th 04, 02:00 PM
Darrell Larose

wrote in message
[...]

We'll know more in 6 weeks when it's unveiled at Photokina 2004
http://www.photokina.de

Old August 13th 04, 02:24 PM
Charlie Self

tony notes:

owever, I'm wondering if that will still have full
backwards lens compatibility, or if it will retain the *istD's bright
pentaprism viewfinder.

Yes. I forgot to mention that viewfinder. It's as good as it gets. Lovely. Even
matte screen focusing is easy, and with my aged eyes, that's saying a lot.

Charlie Self
"Inanimate objects are classified scientifically into three major categories -
those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost." Russell
Baker

Old August 13th 04, 03:26 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

Darrell Larose wrote:

The card slot is a little annoying, but not more than that. The
sharpness is only an issue if you shoot JPEG or TIFF, because the camera
does the processing in that case. A little extra sharpening in Photoshop
is the remedy.

If you shoot RAW, which gives you much more control, the computer does
the processing and the sharpening. In other words; if you use Adobe
CameraRAW to open the RAW files, the sharpness should be no different
than it is for other digital cameras. I've blown up Pentax *istD images
to 60 x 80 cm on my Epson 7600, and the results are impressive.

Pentax offers their own RAW plugin as well as these other downloads;

*istD Firmware Update Version 1.11
*istD Photo Software update: Browser v1.11, Laboratory v1.10
RAW Plugin Module for Photoshop
Pentax Remote Assistant software

I know they do, but quite frankly the Pentax software (both the stand
alone software as well as the plugin) is crap compared to Adobe
CameraRAW and/or PhaseOne C1 (which I use).

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

Old August 13th 04, 04:47 PM
BobS

Default Thanks to All - Pentax *ist D

Thanks to all that responded to my question. Looks like a no-brainer after
reading your comments and I'm headed for the local camera shop. Just happen
to have a neice getting married in a couple of weeks so along with a couple
of film cameras, it looks like the *new* ist will get a workout also.

Charlie, thanks for your succint critique - as usual - and also to the rest
of you for sharing your experiences and insight. To those that posted links
to their sites, I've added them to my short list. Some very impressive
work.

The link to the photokina was a nostaglia trip - thanks! I was there in '66
and what a show it was. That was the year the picture of the monk that set
himself on fire made all the news and as I recall, it was Minolta that blew
it up (~20'x50') and hung it from the ceiling of the show tent. It was taken
with their 8mm "spy" camera as I recall.

Thank you,

Bob S.