The importance of a uv filter?

Old August 12th 04, 12:48 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default The importance of a uv filter?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:49:04 -0400, Bob Salomon

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

Taking night shots with lights with and without protective
filter is an eye-opener. Do it.

Coated, single coat or true Multi-coated filter?
Glass or acrylic filter?
Solid glass or sandwiched construction filter?

Bob,

no matter, in night shots you always see the additional light
spots. No filter is free of reflections.

I usually use multi-coated solid glass filters.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old August 12th 04, 12:48 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:25:39 -0600, "RonFrank"
wrote:

I have UV filter on all my lenses, and always have.

Ron,

let's ask this question: How far does the extra UV filter reduce
the contrast?

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old August 12th 04, 01:26 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

I have UV filter on all my lenses, and always have.

Ron,

let's ask this question: How far does the extra UV filter reduce
the contrast?

At least 3% for two glass/air surfaces, which is a lot if you add 3%
of a bright area to a dark area!
Theoretically it could add some RGB 8,8,8 to the linear gamma shadows,
on its own, before the lens groups come into play, and before gamma
adjustment boosts it further.

Bart

Old August 12th 04, 01:42 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:26:16 +0200, "Bart van der Wolf"
wrote:

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

I have UV filter on all my lenses, and always have.

let's ask this question: How far does the extra UV filter reduce
the contrast?

At least 3% for two glass/air surfaces, which is a lot if you add 3%
of a bright area to a dark area!
Theoretically it could add some RGB 8,8,8 to the linear gamma shadows,
on its own, before the lens groups come into play, and before gamma
adjustment boosts it further.

Bart,

thanks for the quantification. I suspected something like this.

In other words, you don't want any superfluous filters, at least
when you take high-contrast photos. Night shots are just an
extreme example and make the extra reflections very visible.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.