Air Travel - Tripods allowed or not?

Old July 8th 04, 10:21 PM
Matt Silberstein

Default Air Travel - Tripods allowed or not?

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:48:17 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,
"[KS]" wrote:

Doug Payne wrote:
Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
inflight baggage?

In Canada, and probably elsewhere, it has nothing to do with the
airline. It's dependent on airport security. I've been unable to pass
security in Toronto with a carry-on tripod for the past couple of years.
I went so far as to go to the security gate before checking in and show
them the tripod. The answer was "put it in your checked-in baggage, you
can't carry it on".

That just confirms it. I do frequent Toronto and Montreal. So checked-in
baggage it is.

What I can't figure out is why it's an issue at all??? For "ultra jumbo"
or non-collapsible tripods that can't be secured anywhere in the cabin
without blocking traffic or interfering with operations, it only makes
sense to restrict them to the luggage/cargo hold, but what kind of
security risk does the typical collapsible camera tripod present???

None, security risk is not really the issue.

Let me give a slightly different example. There was a free Lyle Lovett
concert on the 4th. It was in battery park and we brought a picnic. We
were not allowed in since we had *forks*. Now remember, this is not an
airplane, where I can dismantle the window with my fork, this is a
bloody city park. Somehow I was a threat with this nasty medium sized
metal fork. So on the 4th of July, to celebrate our freedom and
independence, we sat across the street. Perhaps a threat to passers
by, but the people in the park were safe from our nasty fork. (I won't
even mention my 3" rounded bread knife, your heart may not take the
threat.)

Risk reduction is a goal, but not the major one. Or, rather, the risk
is not hijacking and stuff, the risk is that they will get accused of
doing nothing. A system which was just as effective that did not
discomfort people would be worse. By making our lives difficult they
can claim they are trying hard. And isn't that one of Shrub's claims:
that doing something, even the bloody stupidly wrong thing, is better
than questioning the situation?

What's next? To board a plane, you have to be naked, shaved bald, and
empty handed?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The terrorists aren't
"winning". Nor are they "on the run". Quite the contrary: They've
already achieved total victory. Idiotic rules banning a camera tripod as
a security risk are all the proof of that statement that's needed.

Not total, but they are winning.

--
Matt Silberstein

Do in order to understand.
Old July 9th 04, 12:11 AM
Frank Pittel

I had no problem taking a tripod with me in one of my carry on bags in May.

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm [KS] wrote:
: Hi,
: After the strict rules for not allowing specific things in the inflight
: baggage, I am in double mind to take my Manfrotto tripod in my
: in-flight baggage or store it in my check-in baggage.

: Does anybody know about the airlines rules for taking tripods in the
: inflight baggage? And you know the Manfrotto ones are not small to go
: undetected.

: Thanks.

-------------------

Old July 9th 04, 12:25 AM
William Graham

"Carol" wrote in message
You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
Tripods go with the luggage.

That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

Old July 9th 04, 12:33 AM
Mike

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Carol" wrote in message
You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
Tripods go with the luggage.

That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
can get three at once.

Old July 9th 04, 12:55 AM
William Graham

ink.net...

"Carol" wrote in message
You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
Tripods go with the luggage.

That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
can get three at once.

Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

Old July 9th 04, 02:11 AM
Don Bruder

In article y9lHc.32166$JR4.1058@attbi_s54,
"William Graham" wrote:

ink.net...

"Carol" wrote in message
You can carry on a monopod, or a dipod if you buy an extra ticket.
Tripods go with the luggage.

That's strange. One would think that a monopod could be used as a weapon
more easily than a tripod....A monopod even looks like a weapon........

With a monopod you can only injure one person at a time. With tripod you
can get three at once.

Ah.....That must have been their logic..........:^)

It fits with the logic that any of them are a security risk, anyway!

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.