HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

Old July 7th 04, 11:34 AM
Donald Gray

Default HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

On 7 Jul 2004 02:27:15 -0700, (Orak
Listalavostok) wrote:

My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
Black ink old. Color ink old.
8 days to expire. 8 days to expire.
Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
Press enter to continue. Press enter to continue.

{Cross posting deleted}

I don't know the cure, but it frightens me a wee bit....

Ink jet cartridges do have an expiry date. just look at the box it
comes in.

OK, so they get refilled time and again.

The above 'Warning' message *may* indicate a very crafty move by the
manufacturers. Could cartridges themselves be coded with the 'use by
date' AND could the printer be reading the 'use by date'?

Is this the manufacturers fighting against refiling their
cartridges... Hammed!!!!

The ink isn't old. I replaced it just last week. Actually, since a
5-year supply of ink (for me) costs less than 20 bucks in bulk at
costco, I've been re-filling the four HP OJ 145 ink tanks (some call
them cartridges but the jets are separate) successfully since January
of 2003. Once a quarter or so, I refill the ink tanks with a few drops
of ink, always keeping the sponges wet and turning off the Hewlett
Packard paper-counting checks which HP uses as a lousy substitute for
ink level checking.

Questions for printer experts:
Q1: How do I bypass this "8 days to expire" HP ink tank setting?
Q2: Is an HP ink tank really timed to shut down in 18 months?
Q3: Do I just replace the tanks or do I have to replace the jets?

Please help,
Orak Listalavostok

--
Donald Gray
www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
Old July 7th 04, 02:36 PM
Travis Jordan

Orak Listalavostok wrote:
My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
Black ink old. Color ink old.
8 days to expire. 8 days to expire.
Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
Press enter to continue. Press enter to continue.

This is an HP lie.

The ink isn't old. I replaced it just last week. Actually, since a
5-year supply of ink (for me) costs less than 20 bucks in bulk at
costco, I've been re-filling the four HP OJ 145 ink tanks (some call
them cartridges but the jets are separate) successfully since January
of 2003. Once a quarter or so, I refill the ink tanks with a few drops
of ink, always keeping the sponges wet and turning off the Hewlett
Packard paper-counting checks which HP uses as a lousy substitute for
ink level checking.

Questions for printer experts:
Q1: How do I bypass this "8 days to expire" HP ink tank setting?
Q2: Is an HP ink tank really timed to shut down in 18 months?
Q3: Do I just replace the tanks or do I have to replace the jets?

Please help,
Orak Listalavostok

HP isn't lying. The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge. I
don't know of any software hacks or tools that will let you get around
it.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220

HP will give their customers all kinds of technical reasons why they
designed their printer this way, but in the end it was a marketing
decision to put this 'feature' in the product. Product feature
decisions are ALWAYS made by marketing.

Welcome to the brave new world of software-controlled obsolence.
Demonstrate your support for this concept with your feet. If you buy
another vendor's product be sure to send your old HP printer with a love
noe back to Carly Fiorina's personal attention.

Old July 7th 04, 02:45 PM
Bob Parnass

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:36:42 +0000, Travis Jordan wrote:

HP isn't lying. The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge. ...
Welcome to the brave new world of software-controlled obsolence.
Demonstrate your support for this concept with your feet...

Amen. I found out about Hewlett-Packard's built-in ink cart
obsolence *after* buying a $1000+ HP 2500c color ink jet printer.

I bought a different brand of printer the next time because
of this and won't be buying HP printers again unless their
policy changes.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old July 7th 04, 03:09 PM
Christopher Muto

i think all the majors have implemented some sort of scheme like this...
the cartridges have a chip built into them that can be reset as you refill
it. search the web for "hp resetter" (or for epson, "epson reset tool") and
you will find several... here's a manual way of doing it on particular hps
(not sure if it applies to your model). an alternate approach is to just
buy a cartridge and then refill that one... it may be more economical to
purchase a non-hp cartridge than the resetter tool give the small amount of
printing that you do.

no crossposting please, this reply to rec.photo.digital only, where it was
read

om...

Old July 9th 04, 05:06 AM
Bob Headrick

"Orak Listalavostok" wrote in message
om...

First, the HP printer ink level is NEVER monitored by HP.
This link http://www.valueshop.co.uk/printer-ink-links.asp
kindly sent to me by a helpful reader clearly says so:
"The [smart] chip [embedded in each HP printer cartridge] doesn't
indicate the amount of ink left in the cartridge ... but stops
[the HP printer] after a number of print runs, even if there is
[plenty of] ink available"

There is a misunderstanding here. The printer does not stop after a number of
prints or pages, it counts the individual drops fired. Based on the amount of
ink put in the supply and the individual drop size the printer can calculate
how much ink is left. There is some margin to keep the supply from running out
and introducing air into the printhead. Allowing the printhead to run dry
would result in damage to the printhead.

From your article, it appears there are three dates of concern:
"... the date printed on the ink cartridge is not the expiry
date [which] is determined either by a cartridge being in the
HP printer for 30 months, or the cartridge is 4.5 years old,
whichever comes first. The date on the cartridge, which you'd
every reason to think was the expiry date if you didn't know,
is 2.5 years after it was manufactured."

Therefore, the 3 Hewlett Packard ink cartridge dates appear to be:
- The date the cartridge was manufactured
(+ 2.5 years = printed date).
- The date the cartridge expires
(death occurs on the printed date + 2 years)
- The length of time the cartridge is in the printer
(2.5 years maximum)

Given the date printed on my HP c5010a tri-color ink cartridge is:
- 2004/06/10
(deriving an HP ink cartridge manufacture date of 2001/12/10)
And the date printed on my HP c5011a black ink cartridge is:
- 2004/04/29
(deriving an HP ink cartridge manufacture date of 2001/10/29)

This would seem to indicate the true HP ink expiration date is:
- 2006/06/10
(HP c5010a tri-color ink cartridge true expiration date)
- 2006/04/29
(HP c5011a black ink cartridge true expiration date)

Hmmmm .... so my HP ink cartridges are NOT expiring after all!
Then why do I see officejet d145 "Black ink old. 8 days to expire"
& HP OJ d145 "Color ink old. 8 days to expire" error messages?

The expiration is the *earlier* of 30 months from date of insertion into the
printer or 4.5 years from date of manufacture. The ink supplies are cheap
compared to the printheads, and the expiration is enforced to protect the
printhead.

Assuming the true HP ink cartridge expiration date is two years
hence, the HP OfficeJet d145 must be calculating the 30 months
in service expiration date instead. Now the HP error messages
begin to make sense.

Given I was presented with the HP OJ d145 printer as a birthday
gift from my lab mates in January of 2002, we calculate:
- 2002/01/14
(the 30 months in-service HP expiration date is then 2004/07/14)

That is, the 30-month contigious service date is what the HP
office-jet d145 printer must be complaining about!

So it's NOT the printer cartridge which is expiring; it's the
HP 30-months continuous service barrier which is hurting me.
I still have until 2006 for the HP ink cartridges to expire.

How can I recover the two years I am entitled for these cartridges?

The printer is designed to allow an ink cartrdige to be in the printer for 2.5
years. There is not an "entitlement". Once the seal of the supply has been
broken and the supply installed in the printer you have 30 months to use up the
cartrdige. Over time normal vapro losses will cause the ink to thicken and
become less suitable. Once again, the printer limits the allowable age of ink
supplies to avoid damage to the semi-permanent printheads.

Someone kindly emailed me this link which describes HP ink
rotation steps:

http://www.alotofthings.com/supportf...010A5011A.html
"Since Hewlett Packard multifunction printers only retain the
information of the last two cartridges, you can alternatively
swap cartridges in and out. This of course requires that you
have a total of three HP ink cartridges that are not date expired."

This applies to the low on ink indicator in the printers with integrated
cartridges containing both the ink supply and printhead. In these pritners the
toolbox and printer will indicate a low on ink condition but will not stop
printing, since there is not an external printhead to protect there is no need
for the pritner to limit printing in this case.

Do HP printing experts have any other suggestions to overcome
HP OfficeJet d145 printer ink cartridge expiration messages?

Put a fresh ink supply in the printer....

The HP printers with separate ink and printheads are designed for relatively
heavy usage home users or small office applications. If you do not print much
you should probably get a different printer. The PSC 2210 or 2410 or Officejet
6110 may be a better fit for your needs.

Old July 9th 04, 07:05 AM
The Real Bev

Bob Headrick wrote:

"Orak Listalavostok" wrote:

Do HP printing experts have any other suggestions to overcome
HP OfficeJet d145 printer ink cartridge expiration messages?

Put a fresh ink supply in the printer....

I think the intent was to avoid doing that when there's clearly ink in
the cartridge.

The HP printers with separate ink and printheads are designed for relatively
heavy usage home users or small office applications. If you do not print much
you should probably get a different printer. The PSC 2210 or 2410 or Officejet
6110 may be a better fit for your needs.

Is the cartridge expiration a windows thing? What happens if you're
running linux?

I'm pretty ****ed about the 2 HP printers my mom (win 98) has had -- the
last one started printing purple 3/4" color bands at random times and
now prints all photos with a purple cast, although text printing in b+w
and colors comes out fine. She's printed 1500 pages, which sure doesn't
seem like a proper lifetime for a printer.

--
Cheers,
Bev