Kodak Safelight Bulb and Filter Question

Old April 9th 04, 01:58 AM
SofaKing

Default Kodak Safelight Bulb and Filter Question

I'm almost into my darkroom....question is ... I've got two 20-30 year old
Kodak Safelights, the grey metal ones which take the ~5" glass filters. One
has a red bulb in it the other no bulb. Do I have to use a red bulb? Isn't
that what the glass filter is for? [Filters a OC, two #13s, #10 and #3
what do I use for black & white?] If I can use any bulb what is the maximum
wattage? Thx.

Old April 9th 04, 03:00 AM
Peter Irwin

SofaKing wrote:
I'm almost into my darkroom....question is ... I've got two 20-30 year old
Kodak Safelights, the grey metal ones which take the ~5" glass filters. One
has a red bulb in it the other no bulb. Do I have to use a red bulb? Isn't
that what the glass filter is for? [Filters a OC, two #13s, #10 and #3
what do I use for black & white?] If I can use any bulb what is the maximum
wattage? Thx.

You should use a 15 watt bulb or smaller in your safelight.
For the #13 filter (for Panalure and some colour papers) Kodak
recommends a 7 1/2 watt bulb.

You should test your safelight. Kodak has lots of good information at:
www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/k4/k4Contents.shtml

The 0C filter is for black and white enlarging paper.
Some fixed grade papers can be used with the brighter 0A filter
but multigrade/variable contrast papers need the 0C filter.

The #13 and #10 filters can be used with Panalure and some colour
print materials. These are rather dim safelights, and many people
just figure out a way to work in complete darkness.

The #3 filter is for developing panchromatic films by inspection.
The safelight is only used when the film is at least half developed
and then only for a very short time. It could be handy in emergencies,
but it isn't something you would likely use often.

Peter.