WalMart and jpeg printing

Old November 28th 04, 09:05 AM
Gene Palmiter

"Robertwgross" wrote in message
GWB wrote:
My wife brought a cd with pictures (copied from the CF card to the cd

with
Windows Explorer - XP Pro) taken on a Cannon S50, to Kinko's and they

said
they
couldn't print them. I can't imagine why.

I guess you know that this copy operation will not work. You need to use a

CD
recording program to burn files to a CD.

---Bob Gross---

Except....that it does work...sort of. With WinXP a user can copy to a CDR
drive and use the built-in burner software. The poster doesn't say that he
did this...but the Kinko operator didn't say the disc was empty....they said
they could not print what was on the disc.

Old November 28th 04, 09:48 AM
GWB

Bob Gross says:
I guess you know that this copy operation will not work. You need to use a CD

recording program to burn files to a CD.

No, I didn't know that. If they could print a picture from the CF card, why
can't they print the same file copied from the CF to a cd? The pictures are
viewable from the cd.
Old November 28th 04, 03:29 PM
John McWilliams

GWB wrote:
Bob Gross says:

I guess you know that this copy operation will not work. You need to use a CD

recording program to burn files to a CD.

No, I didn't know that. If they could print a picture from the CF card, why
can't they print the same file copied from the CF to a cd? The pictures are
viewable from the cd.

Try another Kinko's.

Back to the OP:

One possibility is the operator made prints of the thumbnails. These
aren't even viewable on most Mac setups, but can appear first on the CD
when read by Windows boxes. An ignorant- call it inexperienced if you
will- operator might not know that, and never get to the higher res. jpegs.

--

John McWilliams
Old November 28th 04, 04:27 PM
Fred McKenzie

I reconverted the tiff file to jpeg, but I did it
from an RGB version this time. After all that, I read on another thread
that some PCs and photo machines can't read a file if it has *lower
case* .jpg suffix instead of .JPG! Oh well, I used lower case--I don't
want to burn another CD at this point.

Nosredna-

Are you using OS X? When saving a file, OS X saves two. One is prefixed with
an underscore, as I recall. When viewed by a windows machine, the ones with
the underscore are usually first on the list. They will NOT open on the
windows machines I've tried, although XT may know how to handle them. (Upper
and lower case should make no difference.)

I have often shared photos via CDs, memory sticks and file servers, and the
underscore is frequently the cause of trouble. I've learned to burn the CDs
using Toast under OS 9 wherever possible!

Try this:

A) Be sure you use a CD format windows understands, such as ISO 9660.

B) Be sure the person opening the CD knows to ignore any files beginning with
a non-alpha character.

Otherwise, there may be a difference between the way a photo looks on a monitor
and the way it looks printed. That could explain a test print not looking
right, even though it looks good on your monitor.

Fred

Old November 28th 04, 04:50 PM
Rita Ä Berkowitz

John McWilliams wrote:

One possibility is the operator made prints of the thumbnails. These
aren't even viewable on most Mac setups, but can appear first on the
CD when read by Windows boxes. An ignorant- call it inexperienced if
you will- operator might not know that, and never get to the higher
res. jpegs.

Yep, this happened to me once. Who would have thought that the kiosks don't
do NEF's even though they display them clearly? I paid for a bunch of
prints and got back a bunch of distorted checkerboard prints from the
thumbnails. When I converted them to JPG I was happy.

Rita
--
http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/

Old November 28th 04, 06:42 PM
nosredna

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" wrote:

John McWilliams wrote:

One possibility is the operator made prints of the thumbnails. These
aren't even viewable on most Mac setups, but can appear first on the
CD when read by Windows boxes. An ignorant- call it inexperienced if
you will- operator might not know that, and never get to the higher
res. jpegs.

Yep, this happened to me once. Who would have thought that the kiosks don't
do NEF's even though they display them clearly? I paid for a bunch of
prints and got back a bunch of distorted checkerboard prints from the
thumbnails. When I converted them to JPG I was happy.

Rita

Oh, boy, that sounds disturbingly like the description my friend gave
over the phone. She said something like, "There are just some black
lines." Between her lack of graphics knowledge and (perhaps) an
experienced photo machine operator, who knows what happened! I might go
to KMart (WalMart is too far for me to spend that much time on this) and
have one print made from the CD and send it to my friend as proof that
the CD and jpeg are fine.
Thanks to all who helped out with this issue.