Upgrade report - SSD & photo software

Old December 27th 17, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default Upgrade report - SSD & photo software

On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
[]

I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's
unbelivable how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d
but with OSX Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.

Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.Â* I would check
for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
the junk-ware!).Â* Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.

I have. It's Windows mostly.

You have an issue then which needs to be resolved. Even on a 2GB tablet
Win-10 is quite usable (I've used it for video reception), but you would
naturally need more memory for some other programs.

--
Cheers,
David
Old December 27th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's
unbelivable how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d
but with OSX Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.

Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.* I would check
for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
the junk-ware!).* Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.

I have. It's Windows mostly.

You have an issue then which needs to be resolved. Even on a 2GB tablet
Win-10 is quite usable (I've used it for video reception),

video *reception* is a very low demand task, something even a 10 year
old computer with less memory can manage to do. it's just playing an
mpeg stream.

but you would
naturally need more memory for some other programs.

obviously.
Old December 27th 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
[]

I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.

Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory.* I would check
for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
the junk-ware!).* Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.

I have. It's Windows mostly.

You have an issue then which needs to be resolved. Even on a 2GB
tablet Win-10 is quite usable (I've used it for video reception), but
you would naturally need more memory for some other programs.

I've actually done some videoediting on it, it does have 8GB now though
it came with 2 but the old 3GB Mac is faster.
--
teleportation kills

Old December 27th 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-12-27 16:51:41 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 27/12/2017 16:24, android wrote:
[]
True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:

https://www.cio.com/article/2875981/software/the-5-best-open-source-email-clients-for-linux.html#slide3

Grab pan2 for Usenet.

Not much use if the software the OP needs to run is Windows-based!

That would present problems but there are Wine and VirtualBox...

https://www.winehq.org/

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I did get the Acer for Windows stuff, but it ain't fast...
--
teleportation kills

Old December 27th 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2017-12-27 09:27:02 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 27/12/2017 07:26, android wrote:
[]

I have W10 on my Acer notebook, a c2d with 8GB RAM... It's unbelivable
how slow it is compared to my old Mac Mini, another c2d but with OSX
Snow Leopard and 3GB in use.

Win-10 shouldn't be slow, especially with 8 GB memory. I would check
for any mis-configuration or unwanted processes (especially if it's a
vendor's Win-10 rather than a plain version from Microsoft without all
the junk-ware!). Use the Task Manager to see what's eating all the
CPU, memory, disk I/O etc.

I have. It's Windows mostly.

Yes, that's the same thing I saw, but it wasn't accurate. As David
said, check for installed software from Acer. My problem was the
Toshiba software. It's not needed, and after I removed all of it, the
laptop was fine, even with the HDD which happened to have bad sectors.
The software I suspect was some backup or disk recovery software, and
one other that was also disk related. The SSD was icing on the cake,
and sped things up considerably.

I cleansed the 'puter from stuff like that when I bought it two years ago...
--
teleportation kills

Old January 8th 18, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:44:44 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 12/26/2017 8:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

250 of what units and what time frame?

MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.

yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.

and how is the drive connected?

It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.

internal would be sata.

external could be anything.

Regardless of computer issues, I just want to wish everybody a happy and
healthy holiday season and following year.

Yaah!

You missed me.

I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
bladder removed.

Eric Stevens
Old January 8th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 7, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On 12/26/2017 8:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In , Bill W
wrote:

At the same time, this laptop is not supported for
anything past Win 7 - no chipset updates at all.

that could be why you are having crashes.

It might also be why I have low read/write speeds - ~250 for each.

250 of what units and what time frame?

MB/s. Isn't Sata 2 limited to 300? I'm assuming that's the issue.

yep, so 250 mbyte/s is reasonable.

and how is the drive connected?

It's a laptop, so there are no options internally.

internal would be sata.

external could be anything.

Regardless of computer issues, I just want to wish everybody a happy and
healthy holiday season and following year.

Yaah!

You missed me.

I spent Christmas and New Year in hospital having a gangrenous gall
bladder removed.

My commiserations, and I hope you are doing better now.

I had gall bladder surgery back in 2004, let us just say that the pain was
exquisite, and I was thankful to be rid of it. I had laprascopic surgery,
which was much better than having to be open up, but the overall effect was
as if I had been stabbed in the belly five times.

Savageduck

Old January 8th 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2017-12-27 17:27, nospam wrote:
In article , android
wrote:

it's also quite likely that the win7 wifi drivers will work.

True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:

and little else.

A matter of opinion. There are thousands of "elses".

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old January 8th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

On 2017-12-27 17:51, David Taylor wrote:
On 27/12/2017 16:24, android wrote:
[]
True. Throw some neto Linux dist into it and run it with Firefox,
OpenOffice.org and a mail client like Evolution:

https://www.cio.com/article/2875981/software/the-5-best-open-source-email-clients-for-linux.html#slide3

Grab pan2 for Usenet.

Not much use if the software the OP needs to run is Windows-based!

Not much use if Windows will not update!

--
Cheers, Carlos.