GPS

Old September 1st 04, 07:31 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
Prometheus wrote:

When you refuse to do a job the way that works because it is not
fashionable then it is very misguided.

When you insist that other people do a job the way that works for you, even
though it will not work for them, it is very silly.

Refusing to let a fear be overcome because a serial connector once
barked at you is silly. I could refuse to connect my PDA because the
connector is rectangular instead of circular, I don't because the
software connects the device as soon as I plug it in (actually it would
do so regardless of the shape, and I don't really care about it anyway).
--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 1st 04, 07:34 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:36:21 -0000, Jeremy Nixon

Even the ones with USB connections have serious problems. Every time I go
looking at GPS units I give up in disgust because no one makes one that
would work the way I want.

Ah, so in the end, it's all about "I".

Of course it is. How else am I supposed to make a purchasing decision?
Should I buy something based on what someone else might want that I'll
never use?

Not if you have no intention of ever really using a GPSR.

OK, with the exception of using one third-party piece of
software, you can't customize the maps on any GPSR -- they all use a
proprietary forman and ouly allow uploading of their own mapsets.

And that's a problem, and it's silly.

Their economists, and the people who do the data collection
and provide the mapping technology seriously disagree with you.

So you may as well just drop the entire topic. It's likely to be years
before the industry rises to your required level of perfection.

And that's sad, when the industry refuses to make things people want and
are willing to pay for. Though I think I now understand why, with all
these people who insist that anything anyone might want to use a GPS unit
for that deviates from the Sacred Way That Shall Not Be Questioned must
be wrong in what they want.

What's really sad is your passive-agressive BS. We may be a
bunch of jerks, but we get to have fun with our GPSRs. Some of us even
cave in and buy the chaep adapter.

Old September 1st 04, 07:38 AM

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 02:51:43 -0000, Jeremy Nixon
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

When you refuse to do a job the way that works because it is not
fashionable then it is very misguided.

When you insist that other people do a job the way that works for you, even
though it will not work for them, it is very silly.

It's probably pointless to suggest it by now, but it _will_
work for them if they quit being intransigent about with their novel
technology.

I don't suppose you have the vaguest idea how many millions of
years ago sharks stopped evolving. They found an interface with the
world that worked for them and never felt a need to ship version 2.0.