GPS

Old August 26th 04, 08:30 PM
Mxsmanic

Arty Facting writes:

The reason I mention this is because you may return to bang the same co-ords
as on the GPS and be up to 30 yards from what you wanted to find.

My experience is that accuracy is much better than this: a couple of
metres these days, in open country.

Old August 26th 04, 08:30 PM
Ryan Robbins

"Arty Facting" wrote in message
Now a combo GPS & camera? Sheesh - that is a thought!

The Kodak DCS Pro 14N allows users to plug a GPS receiver into the camera
for saving the coordinates to file headers with other EXIF data.

Old August 26th 04, 09:45 PM
Ron Hunter

John McWilliams wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

time on the GPS and Photo.

Just make SURE you sychronize the camera time to the GPS before you go
out as the clocks in most cameras aren't all that accurate while that
in the GPS is set by the atomic clock in the GPS satellite.

Ah, one more reason for occasionally downloading pix from the camera vs.
a card reader; some cameras auto synch to the time of the computer,
which in the case of at least Macs running osX, themselves auto-synch to
atomic clocks.

Yes, my computer also autosynchs to the atomic clocks, and the Kodak
dock will autoset the clock in the computer. However, when travelling
across time zones, the clock will need to be manually set.

Old August 26th 04, 09:47 PM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:

Arty Facting writes:

The reason I mention this is because you may return to bang the same co-ords
as on the GPS and be up to 30 yards from what you wanted to find.

My experience is that accuracy is much better than this: a couple of
metres these days, in open country.

There is a great deal of confusion about the GPS accuracy. Most specs
say 50-300 feet, but mine can put you back to within a couple of FEET of
the starting place. The more sats. you can see, the better positioning
you get.
5 or 6 sats. will give you a positioning that is 'dead on'.