GPS

Old August 29th 04, 06:21 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:13:05 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

In article , Ron Hunter
writes

and requires power cycling to connect and disconnect

No it does not, my PCs at home and work do not; I regularly connect and
disconnect their serial ports.

Sigh.

It is impossible to even REACH my serial port without disconnecting
everything, and moving my computer desk. NOT going to happen.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old August 29th 04, 06:34 PM
Mxsmanic

Jeremy Nixon writes:

Don't be absurd. AA batteries aren't obsolete; serial interfaces are.

I note the presence of serial interfaces on each of my PCs, several of
which are in continual use. If I get a time base for my server, that
will be connected by the serial port as well.

Old August 29th 04, 06:35 PM
Mxsmanic

Jeremy Nixon writes:

Modern systems don't have serial ports.

Where does that plug in the backplane of my machine lead, then? It sure
looks and behaves like a serial port.

Old August 29th 04, 06:35 PM
Mxsmanic

Old August 29th 04, 06:36 PM
Mxsmanic

Ron Hunter writes:

Enjoy the 1900's. I live in the the 21st century.

I enjoy being free to do what I want, which is made possible by getting
things to work and then leaving them alone.

Old August 29th 04, 06:36 PM
Mxsmanic

Old August 29th 04, 06:37 PM
Mxsmanic

Ron Hunter writes:

It is impossible to even REACH my serial port without disconnecting
everything, and moving my computer desk. NOT going to happen.

That's true of every port on two of my machines, even the earphone jack.

Old August 29th 04, 06:37 PM
Mxsmanic

Old August 29th 04, 06:37 PM
Prometheus

In article , Ron Hunter
writes
Prometheus wrote:

In article , Ron Hunter
writes

Did I suggest they should remove the serial interface? I suggest
that if a GPS manufacturer wants me to connect my computer to the
GPS and transfer megabytes of information, then 115kbps isn't going
to hack it, even if I didn't mind shutting the computer down to
connect, and then disconnect the GPS (which I DO mind)

I can understand the reluctance to use such a low speed connection
for large amounts of data, but since changing the data would be
infrequent I do not see at as a major disincentive. AS for switching
the computer off to connect a serial device, WHY? I regularly connect
and disconnect serial devices without switching anything off to do
so, maybe it was important in the old days but modern systems are for
more resilient.

It's your computer, and your peripheral. Not on mine, thanks.

So you do so out of superstition and not because it is necessary, how
quaint (or rather foolish). Actually, very foolish, imagine waiting for
a system to power down and reboot every time you change a connection;
are you going to do the same with USB?

Do you imagine that the electronics behind a USB port is magically
different to a serial port!

Let me spell it for you -

,

serial devices are designed to be hot swapped.
--
Ian G8ILZ