Huge posters with the Nikon D70

Old December 14th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Huge posters with the Nikon D70

I'm having a little trouble getting serious resolution with my D70.
Normally I shoot small product shots but a number of times a year I
have to blow the photos up to about 7' x 7'. We use a tradeshow house
for the printing...they're quite used to doing huge prints like that.

I tested to see which aperature was the sharpest (f16), focused on an
area to provide optimal depth of field and dropped the ASA down to as
low as it would go (200). I'm using the 18 - 70 mm lens that came with
the camera and on my last shot, I was shooting at about 39 mm. The
table top set was about 18" deep.

Even in the theoretical sharpest area, the image is a bit soft. (I'm
comparing it mentally to images I used to get from another photographer
who shot exclusively 4 x 5 transparencies) I have the Nikon loupe that
fits over the viewing window and even manually focusing doesn't make
much difference.

Am I trying to get too much out of the camera? Does anyone have any
suggestions about what camera I should get if the D70 can't handle
these huge posters?

Old December 14th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Have worked with 4x5 and digital, unfortunately digital can't hold
water to 4x5. We worked with jewelry, using a Kodak DCS460 and 760,
digital just couldn't hack it compared to 4x5. We were just doing
indexed pages, not 7' x 7'. We would have loved it to work so we
wouldn't have such a big bill with our processor, which of course was
passed to our customer. A friend used an industrial camera back,
Megavision I believe, on his 4x5 and was a little more successful
($20K).
You also need a decent lens, a 60 macro should about right. But with
35mm (well APS) digital you don't have the schleimfug adjustment you do
on a 4x5.
Caution using f16 on digital, can bring out the worst in a sensor.

Tom

Old December 14th 05, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I'm using the 18 - 70 mm lens that came with the camera

Well, if the Nikon kit lens is anything like the Canon kit lens I don't
think it's going to be the strongest part of your equipment.

--
Paul ============}
o o

// Live fast, die old //
Visit the gallery at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/NewGallery2.htm

Old December 14th 05, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

The problem is trying to compare something to 4x5, you won't match 4x5
using any digital camera currently offered and that includes Better
Light backs which are actually MF backs adapted to 4x5 cameras. 4x5 just
plain and simple holds more detail in the film.

And as some one else stated with 4x5 you have perspective controls.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old December 14th 05, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

You're asking a lot of 6M pixels...

You could make a composite pic with four shots and stitch them into a 24Mp
image...
Or use something like PhotoZoom Pro to up the resolution - this works rather
well on many images up to 300%

Or use a Mamiya/Hasselblad medium format digital...

Guy

Old December 14th 05, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I'm having a little trouble getting serious resolution with my D70.
Normally I shoot small product shots but a number of times a year I
have to blow the photos up to about 7' x 7'. ... the image is a bit soft.
Am I trying to get too much out of the camera?

Yes.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what camera I should
get if the D70 can't handle these huge posters?

I saw some exceptional 6x8 ft fine art prints once, shot by Richard
Avedon with an 8x10" view camera ... maybe you can do it with a 4x5"
view camera ... I've seen prints this size from 6x7 cm (Annie Liebovitz
exhibit) and at close range the images were soft and grainy ... at
'normal viewing distances' they were OK though.

I don't think any Nikon digital camera can do this, maybe a high rez
digital back will do fair, say the 39 Mpixel Imacon.

Bill

Old December 15th 05, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Normally, the lens would be sharpest at 2-3 stops down from wide. After f/8
or so, diffraction limits the sharpness in images formed by lenses. If f/16
is the sharpest aperture, then you have a bad/defective lens.
John

Old December 15th 05, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

635,040,000 pixels is what you are going to need to produce a 7' x 7'
print at 300ppi (doing the math, (7 feet) x (12 inches per foot) x (300
pixels per inch) [squared].

To further rectify your issue, the glass you need is much more than
what "comes with the camera". For that size picture, based on the fact
that you were shooting at 39mm, I would suggest one of the following
lenses to get the best picture out of the glass:

Manual-focus 35mm f/1.4
17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor
or, step back and shoot 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor

Ultimately,I find the best clarity comes from 2-3 stops past the rating
of the lens; but it's specific to the shot of what actually performs.

Old December 15th 05, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 14 Dec 2005 12:26:40 -0800, wrote:

[...]

It seems lik eyou're asking if an El Camino can carry as much as a
ten-wheel dump truck. The answer is no.
Asking a D70 to match output from a 4X5 MF camera is just asking too
much.

Now, if you had a Canon...

--
Bill Funk