Film Compact Vs Digital Compact.

Old October 16th 05, 11:37 PM

Default Film Compact Vs Digital Compact.

I sick of seeing all these film Vs Digital pages on the net comparing
film and digital SLRs. For a start no matter what result they get
(either in favour of film or digital) its nearly always inacurate since
they are comparing the images rather than prints and the film images
are rarly Drum scanned and even if they were they are still 3rd party
images, I am bored of them and no longer bother.

What I would like to see is a Film Compact Vs Digital Compact test, Ill
be putting my Fuji F10 up against my Olypus XA soon. Ill then get the
results printed at 9x6 and then scan the prints, Pointless I know, but
its really to settle an argument I got into and to be honist at ISO 400
(witch the test will be caried out at) I think the result is a forgone
conclusion.

Are there any other links to Film P&S Vs Digital P&S tests.

Old October 17th 05, 01:38 AM
ian lincoln

wrote in message
oups.com...
I sick of seeing all these film Vs Digital pages on the net comparing
film and digital SLRs. For a start no matter what result they get
(either in favour of film or digital) its nearly always inacurate since
they are comparing the images rather than prints and the film images
are rarly Drum scanned and even if they were they are still 3rd party
images, I am bored of them and no longer bother.

What I would like to see is a Film Compact Vs Digital Compact test, Ill
be putting my Fuji F10 up against my Olypus XA soon. Ill then get the
results printed at 9x6 and then scan the prints, Pointless I know, but
its really to settle an argument I got into and to be honist at ISO 400
(witch the test will be caried out at) I think the result is a forgone
conclusion.

Are there any other links to Film P&S Vs Digital P&S tests.

Been shooting since i was 11. 21 years. The digitals win. Best contestant
was the powershot 105. It was enormous. Didn't always focus on what i
thought it should but did a mostly good job. Sharpest lens going.

Old October 17th 05, 02:43 AM
Mr.Happy

"Didn't always focus on what i
thought it should but did a mostly good job."

and thats the problem with digital P&S.
If you dont focus thru the LCD, but thru the viewer, you
dont see the focus marks, and as a result your subject might
be out of focus.
That really ****es me off.
Why are there no focus marks in digital P&S view hole as there are in
film P&S?!

Old October 17th 05, 04:07 AM
Mark²

Mr.Happy wrote:
"Didn't always focus on what i
thought it should but did a mostly good job."

and thats the problem with digital P&S.
If you dont focus thru the LCD, but thru the viewer, you
dont see the focus marks, and as a result your subject might
be out of focus.
That really ****es me off.
Why are there no focus marks in digital P&S view hole as there are in
film P&S?!

Perhaps because it would only be an approximation anyway...due to it not
being a through-the-lens viewfinder...which leads to varying focus points
depending on distance, zoom, etc.

With an SLR, there is no question as to focus points, because you're looking
through the lens and the focus mechanism stays consitently placed in
relation to its appearance in teh viewfinder. This isn't the case with the
optical viewfinder in most point&shoots.

Old October 17th 05, 05:45 AM
William Graham

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Mr.Happy wrote:
"Didn't always focus on what i
thought it should but did a mostly good job."

and thats the problem with digital P&S.
If you dont focus thru the LCD, but thru the viewer, you
dont see the focus marks, and as a result your subject might
be out of focus.
That really ****es me off.
Why are there no focus marks in digital P&S view hole as there are in
film P&S?!

Perhaps because it would only be an approximation anyway...due to it not
being a through-the-lens viewfinder...which leads to varying focus points
depending on distance, zoom, etc.

With an SLR, there is no question as to focus points, because you're
looking through the lens and the focus mechanism stays consitently placed
in relation to its appearance in teh viewfinder. This isn't the case with
the optical viewfinder in most point&shoots.

That's right. This is the great advantage of slr's, whether film or digital.
WYSIWYG.....

Old October 17th 05, 11:20 AM

I seriously Doubt the digital will win this test, not because its
digital but because they have sensors smaller than that of Minox
cameras, I am not say a Minox Would beat a Digital P&S I am saying I
think the XA will, Especially Concidering the fact the size difference
is greater than that of between 35mm and 4x5.

Old October 17th 05, 12:47 PM
ian lincoln

"Mr.Happy" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Didn't always focus on what i
thought it should but did a mostly good job."

and thats the problem with digital P&S.
If you dont focus thru the LCD, but thru the viewer, you
dont see the focus marks, and as a result your subject might
be out of focus.
That really ****es me off.
Why are there no focus marks in digital P&S view hole as there are in
film P&S?!

1.Yes there are focus marks on digital. At least there is on my hpR707.

2. Apologies ofr not making myself clear but, i should have said "The
digitals win. Best FILM contestant was the powershot 105. It was enormous
Didn't always focus on what i
thought it should but did a mostly good job. Sharpest lens going. Gave
my A1 and FD 70-210mm a run for its money. The shutter delay on the
powershot was as bad or as worse as any digital camera.

Old October 19th 05, 12:39 AM
Colin D

wrote:

I sick of seeing all these film Vs Digital pages on the net comparing
film and digital SLRs. For a start no matter what result they get
(either in favour of film or digital) its nearly always inacurate since
they are comparing the images rather than prints and the film images
are rarly Drum scanned and even if they were they are still 3rd party
images, I am bored of them and no longer bother.

What I would like to see is a Film Compact Vs Digital Compact test, Ill
be putting my Fuji F10 up against my Olypus XA soon. Ill then get the
results printed at 9x6 and then scan the prints, Pointless I know, but
its really to settle an argument I got into and to be honist at ISO 400
(witch the test will be caried out at) I think the result is a forgone
conclusion.

Are there any other links to Film P&S Vs Digital P&S tests.

If you use 400 ISO film the digital will produce a cleaner image than
the film. Most tests use 50 or 100 ISO transparency film, and even then
the digital will be cleaner. It seems that photogs who stay with film
claim that they like the colors and gradation of film over digital, and
that they like the appearance of grain which to them makes the
photograph. To each his own.

The physical size of the sensor is less important than the pixel count.
Most compact sensors are about 6x8 millimetres and about 5 megapixels.
If you want an absolute comparison, enlarge a 6x8 mm section of a film
image to your 9x6 and compare that to the digital. The digi will p***
all over the film, from a great height.

Drum scanning is not a goer for ordinary shooting, as the costs are very
high, $60 and up for one frame, so 'tests' of digital against drum scans
are not representative of reality for the average amateur.

The final nail in film's coffin is cost. Every film you buy and have
processed costs in NZ dollars about $25 - $7 for the film and $18 for
good processing. Then you have 24 prints, of which you might keep 5 or
6, if you are selective. So each print has cost you about $4 each.

Weighing it all up, image quality, cost, etc., digital wins hands down.

Colin D.
Old October 20th 05, 12:56 AM

I am aware of what cropping the film will do but I don't have to do
that. As for use of ISO 400 unlike Digital SLRs, which I have a lot
more respect for, high ISOs is what film is good at compared to
compacts,

I will shoot at a lower ISO on the film as well.
With the cost it depends how much you print as I print a lot from
digital (or at least I did when I used to shoot all digital) the cost
of film (about £1 a roll) and printing isn't that much to me, of
course in digital you don't have to print all pictures and you can
delete some, I don't find that too much of a problem as MY SLR is
WYSIWYG and I don't take that many uless shots, or at least I try not
to.
The reason why I leave my Digital camera at home and carry a small film
P&S is because I am worrid about loosing it or getting it stolen, the
XA2 was the camera I took to work ETC before I lost it, Didn't need to
cry. I am trying to get a new one right now.