Surfing Novices

Old September 18th 17, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

Default Surfing Novices

While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.
While the surf was great, this is an imge of the ability of most of the
surfers I observed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcxbxh9oqliycro/20170917_surfing_5872.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
Old September 18th 17, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

PeterN wrote:
While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf. While the surf
was great, this is an imge of the ability of most of the surfers I observed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcxbxh9oqliycro/20170917_surfing_5872.jpg?dl=0

Even that is far beyond my surfing abilities.

Old September 18th 17, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.

try again tuesday or wednesday, when jose visits.
Old September 18th 17, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

On 9/17/2017 11:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.
While the surf was great, this is an imge of the ability of most of the
surfers I observed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcxbxh9oqliycro/20170917_surfing_5872.jpg?dl=0

IMHO way over cropped. From that shot I get the feeling
you've never been a surfer. (For me .. context is missing)

Yes, I have done such wipe-outs in my younger days.
[but no longer even try... ]

Lately I've been thinking about getting a good waterproof
camera and going out to get some serious in water shots.

....maybe next season.

--
==
Later...
Old September 18th 17, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 17, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In , PeterN
wrote:

While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.

try again tuesday or wednesday, when jose visits.

Onshore wind doesn’t make for great surf.

Savageduck

Old September 18th 17, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.
While the surf was great, this is an imge of the ability of most of the
surfers I observed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcxbxh9oqliycro/20170917_surfing_5872.jpg?dl=0

That is a pretty good capture, and the D500 is doing what it does best.
As far as the surfer’s ability goes, he was out there wasn’t he?

However, there are some things which I find odd.
What is it with his right hand, especially the fingers?
Then with the shot taken right into the Sun/flare behind the board there is highlight clipping, his body is put into shadow deep enough to hide detail, and the skin tones seem somewhat reddish.

Savageduck

Old September 18th 17, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 09/17/2017 10:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.
While the surf was great, this is an imge of the ability of most of the
surfers I observed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcxbxh9oqliycro/20170917_surfing_5872.jpg?dl=0

Great shot.

Though I'm too uncoordinated to have ever used a surf board, in LA many
years ago I did a little body surfing.

Once the receding wave pulled my swim suit off just as I got to shore
but luckily caught it with my feet just in time.
Old September 18th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.

try again tuesday or wednesday, when jose visits.

Onshore wind doesn¹t make for great surf.

it's going to be more than just a little wind.
Old September 18th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 9/18/2017 2:32 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 17, 2017, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

While you guys were arguing, I went out to take advantage of heavy surf.
While the surf was great, this is an imge of the ability of most of the
surfers I observed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcxbxh9oqliycro/20170917_surfing_5872.jpg?dl=0

That is a pretty good capture, and the D500 is doing what it does best.

That's why I got it.

As far as the surfer’s ability goes, he was out there wasn’t he?

Yep!.
There is a surfing competition coming up there next month. I was really
hoping to get some of the better surfers practicing.
There were few that were decent:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q49tiud6ywe5d5m/20170917_surfing_5859.jpg?dl=0

However, there are some things which I find odd.
What is it with his right hand, especially the fingers?
Then with the shot taken right into the Sun/flare behind the board there is highlight clipping, his body is put into shadow deep enough to hide detail, and the skin tones seem somewhat reddish.

It was a foggy day. Had there been sun it would have been from my left.
I was facing SSW. You can check the exact position of the Sun on TPE.
The images were taken at Gilgo Beach, At about 10:00. I applied the ACR
fog remover, sharpened, and are you sitting, noise reduction. Here are
the RAW files to play with:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3snxtwr76t53xx/20170917_surfing_5872.NEF?dl=0

Another wipeout:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x75vd7gk9mc239h/20170917_surfing_5875.NEF?dl=0

Since I plan to do monochrome conversions, I am not overly concerned
about the color.

--
PeterN

Surfing with a motorcycle Sandman Digital Photography 2 August 4th 15 02:59 PM
EVF's for novices Irwell Digital Photography 1 August 11th 10 04:15 AM
EVF's for novices bobwilliams Digital Photography 2 August 10th 10 05:36 AM
Surfing pics DD 35mm Photo Equipment 7 July 4th 06 06:30 AM
Website for DSLR/SLR Amateurs & Novices Sharp Shooter Digital SLR Cameras 2 June 7th 05 09:04 AM