Where I keep my spare cats.

Old July 24th 17, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

On 7/24/2017 10:12 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

I have fifteen functional computers here, all hardwire connected to my
network and online. Of those, six are laptops (Dell Latitude E6500),
four are desktops (HP dc5800), and five are older towers (Dell &
others). All are running Ubuntu Linux, and are perfectly capable of
doing whatever task I need done.

you're running a business. most people don't have anywhere close to
that in their homes and businesses don't normally buy music for their
employees.

As of 12/31/2014, I am no longer running a business. The laptops and
desktop machines were purchased after closing my business.

Your reply should have perhaps been: "Are you running a business?",
rather than assuming something about which you know nothing.

it was a reasonable assumption.

I am a computer hobbyist: I enjoy learning about Linux and networking,
and rebuilding older machines.

that's not a typical scenario and you know it.

plus, itunes doesn't run on linux (nor do most mainstream apps) so none
of this affects you in any way.

My nephew, OTOH, does run a business, and as a part of his business,
does buy music for his employees. He runs a radio station.

also not a typical scenario.

meanwhile, millions and millions of users have one or two computers,
not fifteen.

and again, even if someone does have 15 computers, not all of them need
to be authenticated.

it's a non-issue drummed up by haters who haven't used itunes.

--
PeterN
Old July 24th 17, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default PeterN Music Tx issue: was Where I keep my spare cats.

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Please let us know if it works or doesn't for you. I'm suspecting
that the DRM (which is why Apple probably told you no) is going to be
a problem, but, I admit, I could very well be wrong.

you suspect wrong. drm has *nothing* to do with his situation.

if he bought the music from the itunes store, he can re-download it. if
it's music he extracted from cds (or even pirated), then apple has
nothing to do with it.

his first mistake was not having a backup of his music library when he
got rid of his computer.

Yet again you spout without knowing the facts.

i'm going by what you said, which is that your ipod holds the only
copy.

that means you failed to make *any* backups of what's supposedly
irreplaceable, negligence on your part, but despite that, what's on the
ipod can be easily copied.

But keep on. I need to be
amused.

look in a mirror.

his second mistake is assuming the music cannot be copied off an ipod.
it can.

Not the issue.

it's exactly the issue.
Old July 24th 17, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , -hh
wrote:

...math snipped..

M = Expected value of units owned by those who report owning more than one =
2.3

Given that this is less than half of the DRM "limit 5", it again
indicates that a relatively small percentage of all users would
statistically be likely to encounter the limit.

exactly the point.

FWIW, what's probably much more likely is that old PCs get
retired off without being properly removed such that over a
course of several years of buying new replacement computers
(and/or a family household) that the "limit 5" gets encountered.
However, since the DRM was later eliminated, this is more of a
footnote to a functionally moot point.

also true, however, should that happen it's trivial to reset it.

it's a non-issue, except to haters, who wouldn't use the products even
if any of that didn't exist.
Old July 24th 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/24/2017 3:31 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , -hh
wrote:

[...]

Trivial if you know how.

--
PeterN
Old July 24th 17, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Trivial if you know how.

which i do and you clearly do not.
Old July 24th 17, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

-hh wrote:

[...]

Last time I looked, its an option on one of the pulldown menus in iTunes.

My recollection is that I found it awhile back while deliberating
how hard it would be to get an old 12" G4 Powerbook running again
to have it delist itself in iTunes, versus doing a "Master Reset"
and having to re-authorize all current PCs on the DRM account.

Of course, a third option was to burn/re-import all of the old DRM
protected tracks so that it would all be effectively moot.

-hh
Old July 25th 17, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/24/2017 1:41 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

Yawn

--
PeterN
Old July 25th 17, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 7/24/2017 4:28 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Trivial if you know how.

which i do and you clearly do not.

Four gold stars.

--
PeterN
Old July 25th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

-hh wrote:

[...]

Thanks,
I am seeking to avoid doing that, as it would take several days, and I
would need to find a good turntable to transfer the vinyl tracks. The
Toscanini and Armstrong tracks alone would be almost half a day.

--
PeterN
Old July 25th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I am seeking to avoid doing that, as it would take several days, and I
would need to find a good turntable to transfer the vinyl tracks. The
Toscanini and Armstrong tracks alone would be almost half a day.

what part of copy it off the ipod you claim to have was not clear?