Can photo (time and f-stop) info be recorded automatically?

Old June 28th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Can photo (time and f-stop) info be recorded automatically?

I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

Old June 28th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Hoshisato

On Jun 28, 5:10 am, wrote:
I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

The camera stores the information in the EXIF header, Exifer is a
great tool to view them: http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
Alternatively, services like Webshots do display them if the picture
includes an EXIF header: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/257...37002407mbEHcn

Old June 28th 07, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Bucky

On Jun 27, 9:26 pm, Pete wrote:
Most cameras record this information in the EXIF header in the JPEG file. A
convenient way to see this info is to use the free Irfanview software.

I second this. Pretty all photo software (from Irfanview to Picasa to
Flickr) will display EXIF info.

Old June 28th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
ray

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:10:31 -0700, aniramca wrote:

I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

That is 'metadata' which is automatically recorded by virtually every
digital camera - even my 6 year old Kodak DC210+.

Old June 28th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
rab

On 28 Jun, 05:26, Pete wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:10:31 -0700, wrote:
I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

Most cameras record this information in the EXIF header in the JPEG file. A
convenient way to see this info is to use the free Irfanview software.

Pete

I generally look at the EXIF data in File Viewer Utility which came
with my camera but this post encouraged me to experiment and I notice
that many photos on the web can be downloaded to read their EXIF data
which is good for newcomers to learn some basic simple techniques.

Roger

Roger

Old June 28th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
marrer

ray wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:10:31 -0700, aniramca wrote:

I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

That is 'metadata' which is automatically recorded by virtually every
digital camera - even my 6 year old Kodak DC210+.

wow,cheers all. i am just lurking on here, and this is something that
was perplexing me as i am just about to purcase a dslr. thanks for your
informative contributions.i have a ****ty digital snapshot camera and
never knew about this! cheers.
Old June 28th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
ray

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:54:51 +0100, marrer wrote:

ray wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:10:31 -0700, aniramca wrote:

I wonder if some digital cameras record the time and f-stop for each
photo which is taken automatically. How do people keep the time and f-
stop on their pictures? I don't recall that these data are recorded in
the jpeg file that are created... or does it need a special software
to capture them?
Thanks for info

That is 'metadata' which is automatically recorded by virtually every
digital camera - even my 6 year old Kodak DC210+.

wow,cheers all. i am just lurking on here, and this is something that
was perplexing me as i am just about to purcase a dslr. thanks for your
informative contributions.i have a ****ty digital snapshot camera and
never knew about this! cheers.

It's really no secret. One 'quick and dirty' way to see all the info is
with the 'strings' command on unix or linux.

Old August 6th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
darkroommike

As I recall there were a few film cameras (Contax 35mm and
645?) that could record this info between frames as well.
darkroommike