Does Anyone Know North Tampa Photography?

Old July 8th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

Default Does Anyone Know North Tampa Photography?

I was just given the bum's rush at North Tampa Photography. We spent the
day at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry), and on the way home I
wanted to go to NOrth Tampa Photography because I hadn't been there in a
few months, and wanted to see what they were doing, what they had in
stock now. I got there at about 4:17 PM, and went in. Soon thereafter,
they shut off the lights while I was trying to read a brochure on the
Canon Selphy printer. I asked what just happened. He said well,
psychologically, we shut off the lights so that people will know we are
closing in ten minutes. So I left.

Anyone encounter this kind of business before? Anyone deal at this store?

Gary Eickmeier
Old July 9th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Isaiah Beard

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
I was just given the bum's rush at North Tampa Photography. We spent the
day at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry), and on the way home I
wanted to go to NOrth Tampa Photography because I hadn't been there in a
few months, and wanted to see what they were doing, what they had in
stock now. I got there at about 4:17 PM, and went in. Soon thereafter,
they shut off the lights while I was trying to read a brochure on the
Canon Selphy printer. I asked what just happened. He said well,
psychologically, we shut off the lights so that people will know we are
closing in ten minutes. So I left.

Anyone encounter this kind of business before? Anyone deal at this store?

A Google search seems to indicate that they're a pretty decent store
from the customer comments. But evidently, they close at 4:30pm on
Saturdays. If the hours are posted somewhere on their storefront, then
I can't blame them. I wouldn't want to work on a Saturday either.

At least they're open at all on Saturday. In the New York area, the big
800lb Gorilla of camera shops is B&H, and not only are they closed on
Saturdays, but they even stop taking online orders on Friday at 8:00
p.m.! And I don't mean you can submit the order and they just won't
process it till Sunday. I mean the entire "checkout" function on their
web site is disabled, and you *cannot* buy anything.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Old July 9th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Schreiber

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I got there at about 4:17 PM, and went in. Soon
thereafter, they shut off the lights

Anyone encounter this kind of business before?

The lights off approach to alerting customers the store is about to
close is not at all uncommon. I've seen it in a variety of places over
the years.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old July 9th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gene Palmiter

B&H is owned and for the most part operated by Hasidic Jews. They close for
the Sabbath from sundown Friday until sundown Saturday. They do no work and
I suppose having computers do work for you while you are not supposed to be
working is more reasonable then say...having separate sets of dishes for
meat and for milk...or however they do it. Oh well....if religions had to
make sense we wouldn't have any...."Imagine all the people..."

B&H is above reproach by most accounts when it comes to business practices.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

Old July 9th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

Eric Schreiber wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I got there at about 4:17 PM, and went in. Soon
thereafter, they shut off the lights

Anyone encounter this kind of business before?

The lights off approach to alerting customers the store is about to
close is not at all uncommon. I've seen it in a variety of places over
the years.

Well, it really made me feel unwelcome. If I were a store owner, I might
flicker the lights or something, but turning them off before closing
time is downright unfriendly.

I think I would rather shop online at B&H.

Gary Eickmeier
Old July 9th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott in Florida

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 04:40:13 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

Eric Schreiber wrote:
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I got there at about 4:17 PM, and went in. Soon
thereafter, they shut off the lights

Anyone encounter this kind of business before?

The lights off approach to alerting customers the store is about to
close is not at all uncommon. I've seen it in a variety of places over
the years.

Well, it really made me feel unwelcome. If I were a store owner, I might
flicker the lights or something, but turning them off before closing
time is downright unfriendly.

I think I would rather shop online at B&H.

Gary Eickmeier

Plus you save the 7 percent Florida Tax... g

(I know you are supposed to send it in anyway....does ANYONE?)

--

Scott in Florida
Old July 9th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

wrote:

Well, it really made me feel unwelcome. If I were a store owner, I might
flicker the lights or something, but turning them off before closing
time is downright unfriendly.

I think I would rather shop online at B&H.

Gary Eickmeier

Plus you save the 7 percent Florida Tax... g

(I know you are supposed to send it in anyway....does ANYONE?)

Interesting tale about that... I just ordered a little GPS unit for my
car from http://www.finedigitalusa.com/product_400.asp and they charged
me Florida sales tax! I haven't inquired further about it, but I
remember something about it being legal now to do that. I let it go
because the shipping was free.

Shipping is the other side of the coin on shopping online vs at the
local stores. For a big ticket item it is probably cheaper than the tax
would be, but it should be considered.

Scott, you might be interested in the GPS unit. I just had to have one,
because of my wife's Prius. She had it, I didn't. So the Finedrive 400
was on sale at Staples for $399 with rebate. I toddled off to Staples,
attempted to buy one, and found out that it was out of stock. Great
sale. So I went online to their web site and ordered it that way.
Actually, it was the Staples web site that charged me the sales tax, not
the Finedigital site, but the point is some of them may do that now. I
just hope the state of Florida knows that they are getting it, and
collects from them.

Anyone else experience this? Are they forking it over to the state it
was collected for?

Gary Eickmeier
Old July 9th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
++==++

Well, it really made me feel unwelcome. If I were a store owner, I might
flicker the lights or something, but turning them off before closing time
is downright unfriendly.

However it is a great opportunity for a trip, a fall, and a lawsuit.

+

Old July 9th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Salomon

In article ,
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I was just given the bum's rush at North Tampa Photography. We spent the
day at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry), and on the way home I
wanted to go to NOrth Tampa Photography because I hadn't been there in a
few months, and wanted to see what they were doing, what they had in
stock now. I got there at about 4:17 PM, and went in. Soon thereafter,
they shut off the lights while I was trying to read a brochure on the
Canon Selphy printer. I asked what just happened. He said well,
psychologically, we shut off the lights so that people will know we are
closing in ten minutes. So I left.

Anyone encounter this kind of business before? Anyone deal at this store?

Gary Eickmeier

Why not just tell your feelings to Joyce first?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old July 9th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

Bob Salomon wrote:
In article ,
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

I was just given the bum's rush at North Tampa Photography. We spent the
day at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry), and on the way home I
wanted to go to NOrth Tampa Photography because I hadn't been there in a
few months, and wanted to see what they were doing, what they had in
stock now. I got there at about 4:17 PM, and went in. Soon thereafter,
they shut off the lights while I was trying to read a brochure on the
Canon Selphy printer. I asked what just happened. He said well,
psychologically, we shut off the lights so that people will know we are
closing in ten minutes. So I left.

Anyone encounter this kind of business before? Anyone deal at this store?

Gary Eickmeier

Why not just tell your feelings to Joyce first?

Who is Joyce?

Gary Eickmeier