Fuji raw processing

Old January 29th 19, 03:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Fuji raw processing

On 29/01/2019 13:24, newshound wrote:
On 29/01/2019 00:12, Savageduck wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 28/01/2019 19:09, Savageduck wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 28/01/2019 17:02, newshound wrote:
When I bought the X-E1 a few years back I also had a new Macbook,
and I
bought Affinity Photo for it. I had a play at raw processing but for
what I was doing, the JPEGs out of the camera were fine, all I
seemed to
need was cropping, straightening, maybe a touch of fill light, and
Picasa does all that easily. (I use Picasa for managing my photo
files
anyway).

Step forward a few years, I have some X-T3 raw images that need
tweaking, but Affinity won't open them. Evidently the T3 format is
"too
new". A bit disappointing.

Never mind, download X Raw Studio and see what it will do. I have my
files for processing on a NAS drive so that I can easily access them
from PC or Mac. But no, X Raw Studio has no "Network" option in
the file
manager, I can only open the physical drives on the PC.

And it turns out I can't even do basic tweaking on the PC without
copying the file back to the camera, because this software uses the
camera hardware. Thank goodness Picassa still works on the JPEGs.

Too many software developers seem not to live in the real world.

I don't really want to do much PP, maybe just a bit on the occasional
(and rare) really good shot. Can't justify PS or LR costs or learning
curve. At least Affinity was relatively cheap.

/rant

The idea of X RAW Studio is to give you the ability to process RAF
files
you have saved to your computer, using the in-camera CPU .

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/stories/fujifilm-x-raw-studio-features-users-guide/

I realise that *now*, but the interface when you open it not tethered
*looks* as though you have at least some basic features. Only you don't.

My other suggestion is download the free Capture One 12 Pro for
Fujifilm.
It does a pretty good job.

Only 30 day free trial, then similar price to the big boys by the look
of it.

I realise that there is an overhead to decoding a raw file especially if
it is tweaked to add features in a new version, but given that Fuji are
not making money from software I'd expect the encoding to be
straightforward, and presumably they provide the spec to Adobe, etc. I
guess I will just have to wait for Affinity to catch up.

It seems to be a lot of fiddling around to use x-raw-studio. My normal
"flow" would be to download all files, to review JPEGs and select a few
for tweaking and put them in a special temporary folder. I suppose I'm
just going to have to wipe the card after downloading and make that my
"special" folder.

Here you go. Capture One Express Fujifilm is free. Just scroll down the
page.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Capture-One-Fujifilm.aspx

Thanks, I had not spotted that. They don't make it easy, though. I
couldn't see how to just download the free version, I've been forced to
register and download the Pro Fuji one for a 30 day trial. Watch this
space for progress. Initial thoughts are that it is not terribly
intuitive (but I am used to steep learning curves for audio, video, and
some photo editing).

I'm being unfair, I had another go and managed to download the free
"Express" version for Fuji. And managed to do some basic colour /
contrast / saturation adjustments. Nothing I want to post a link to yet,
though!
Old January 29th 19, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

newshound wrote:
[...]

They have a pretty good set of tutorials, and you can get some good
results.

Also if you haven't found their version of the Fuji analog film sims, they
are hidden under custom curves.

Personally my head is still locked into a Lightroom CCC/Photoshop CC
workflow, but there are some things which Capture One does seem to do
better, sharpening for example.

Savageduck
Old January 30th 19, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/28/2019 2:09 PM, Savageduck wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

Topaz just came out with a converter called Reddit, They claim, it uses
AI to put sufficient detail in JPEGS, so they can be processed as well
as a RAW file. I have not tried it.

--
PeterN
Old January 30th 19, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Topaz just came out with a converter called Reddit, They claim, it uses
AI to put sufficient detail in JPEGS, so they can be processed as well
as a RAW file. I have not tried it.

either you got the name wrong or they're about to be sued.
Old January 30th 19, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/29/2019 10:12 PM, nospam wrote:

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/join-us-now-on-reddit-and-ask-us-anything?e=1044eb0c60

--
PeterN
Old January 30th 19, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Topaz just came out with a converter called Reddit, They claim, it uses
AI to put sufficient detail in JPEGS, so they can be processed as well
as a RAW file. I have not tried it.

either you got the name wrong or they're about to be sued.

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/join-us-now-on-reddit-and-ask-us-anything?e=1044eb0c60

yep, you got the name wrong.

the name of the app is jpeg to raw ai.

reddit is the venue where they're talking about it.
Old January 30th 19, 10:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Topaz just came out with a converter called Reddit, They claim, it uses
AI to put sufficient detail in JPEGS, so they can be processed as well
as a RAW file. I have not tried it.

either you got the name wrong or they're about to be sued.

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/join-us-now-on-reddit-and-ask-us-anything?e=1044eb0c60

I suspect Reddit is where they are answering the questions.

Eric Stevens
Old January 30th 19, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/29/2019 10:26 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Topaz just came out with a converter called Reddit, They claim, it uses
AI to put sufficient detail in JPEGS, so they can be processed as well
as a RAW file. I have not tried it.

either you got the name wrong or they're about to be sued.

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/join-us-now-on-reddit-and-ask-us-anything?e=1044eb0c60

yep, you got the name wrong.

the name of the app is jpeg to raw ai.

reddit is the venue where they're talking about it.

I know, that's why I posted the link. The important part is it's
availability to those who might want to use it.

--
PeterN
Old January 30th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Topaz just came out with a converter called Reddit, They claim, it uses
AI to put sufficient detail in JPEGS, so they can be processed as well
as a RAW file. I have not tried it.

either you got the name wrong or they're about to be sued.

https://mailchi.mp/topazlabs/join-us...s-anything?e=1
044eb0c60

yep, you got the name wrong.

the name of the app is jpeg to raw ai.

reddit is the venue where they're talking about it.

I know, that's why I posted the link. The important part is it's
availability to those who might want to use it.

you're not fooling anyone.

you certainly did not know what it was called because you initially
claimed the app was called reddit.

you only posted the link when i said it can't be named that, and you
still refuse to acknowledge that you got it completely wrong.