Graflex! a question

Old March 28th 04, 02:22 PM
Orso babele

Default Graflex! a question

Hi everybody
I'd like to buy a crown graphic special, but how can I know if a model has the Graflock back or not.
Serial number?

thx

Sam

Old March 28th 04, 03:36 PM
Frank N. Stein

Try www.graflex.org
--
Run down to Bob Storches they handle lights
for all occasions.
Old March 28th 04, 05:29 PM
Orso babele

Try www.graflex.org

thx

:-)

Sam

Old March 29th 04, 11:36 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Orso babele" wrote in message
Hi everybody
I'd like to buy a crown graphic special, but how can I

know if a model has the Graflock back or not.
Serial number?

thx

Sam

There is no way you can tell for certain from the serial
number. Only very early Pacemaker series cameras had spring
backs. By about 1950 or 1951 all Speed and Crown Graphic
cameras has Graflok backs but many cameras were re-fitted
for Graflok backs later. Its a relatively simple job and the
backs were not expensive when new.
There is great confusion about Graflex serial numbers
beginning about 1950. The numbers were issued in batches,
some numbers were never used, and some batches were issued
twice. AFAIK, this has never been straightened out. In
addition, some pages of the serial number record are
missing.
About the only way to determine if a particular camera has
a Graflok back is to ask the seller. You will have to make
sure he/she knows what you mean.
The Crown and Speed Graphic Special was the standard
camera equipped with a Schneider Xenar lens. Xenar lenses
are not among the standard lenses offered with the cameras.
Graflex sold Kodak Ektars and "Optar" lenses as standard
equipment on Pacemaker and later cameras. Optar lenses were
originally rebranded Wollensak Raptar lenses, avoid them.
Later Optar lenses were made by Rodenstock and are of very
good quality. These have the Rodenstock name and "Made in
Germany" on them. The Xenar lenses used on the Special are
also of good quality although I think the Kodak Ektar was
easily the best of the standard lenses.
The Graflex org web site will help to identify models.
Although the data there is not complete it is nonetheless
very helpful.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 30th 04, 03:24 PM
Orso babele

Although the data there is not complete it is nonetheless
very helpful.

thx :-)
you have been precious

I'm bidding on this graflex, seller can't tell me if it has graflock, from the position of the rangefinder it seems a late model (so
it has graflock) but from the picture I'm not able to understand if there is or not the lock

could u help me?
thx again

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EBBI%3AIT&rd=1

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 30th 04, 05:54 PM
AArDvarK

"Orso babele"
thx :-)
you have been precious

I'm bidding on this graflex, seller can't tell me if it has graflock, from the position of the rangefinder it seems a late model

(so
it has graflock) but from the picture I'm not able to understand if there is or not the lock

could u help me?
thx again

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...EBBI%3AIT&rd=1

That is definitely a graflock back, also called
'international' back. That fold-out viewer you
see on the back in the lower picture is removable,
and the same area will accept a 120 rollfilm back,
any international 120 back will work, and the old
graflex ones sell for less.

Normal lens for 120 film is 90mm and no doubt,
the lens on the camera now will be either a 127mm
or a 135mm, so that's quite telephoto for 120 film.
I don't think the back rotates though. Since it is a
crown and not a Speed, no focal plain shutter.
And you may have to pay for a CLA on that shutter.

Alex

Old March 30th 04, 06:29 PM
Tom

AFAIK all top range finder (TRF) Graphics which is what you are looking at came
with a Graflok (International) Back.

Old March 30th 04, 06:39 PM
AArDvarK

Default correction

Correction, not any Int'l back will work. There are ones
made for the smaller 2x3 cameras, of the which there
is no "flange"-like metal area around the film holder
that will cover the area of 4x5 inches. the backs come
with or without this square surrounding plate. You
want it "with".

Alex

Old March 31st 04, 03:58 AM
AArDvarK

"Richard Knoppow"
[...]

[snip]

I used to have a busch Pressman D 4x5, I bought it on
ebay. Not that I wonder if it was standard equipment
that it came with but I wonder about the quality of the
lens that came on it, it was a Steinheil culminar 135,
good stuff?

Alex

Depth of Field Preview Question: Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 6 June 25th 04 11:29 PM
Starting out with developing question. Jerry In The Darkroom 6 May 28th 04 05:52 PM
Bellows question T R In The Darkroom 4 March 10th 04 04:48 PM
faulty shutter on ancient Graflex 4X5 SLR Richard Knoppow Large Format Photography Equipment 0 January 27th 04 06:42 AM
MF resolution question Faisal Bhua Film & Labs 42 December 17th 03 02:14 PM