Need help with new olde field camera

Old March 27th 04, 12:21 PM
AArDvarK

Default Need help with new olde field camera

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message

Since I don't have an email address for you, I'll post here to sha
http://www.exoticwood.biz/exotic-woods.htm

Just out of curiosity what do you intend to
do with that maple?

Alex

Old March 27th 04, 06:23 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/27/2004 4:08 AM AArDvarK spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message ...

On 3/25/2004 9:29 AM jjs spake thus:

In article , David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 3/23/2004 9:08 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I've just inherited a nice old 5x7 field camera, in need of some attention,
but soon to be functional. The nameplate (on the front standard, white
ivoroid) says "Universal Manufactured by Rochester Optical Co. Rochester
N.Y.". I'm not positive, but the wood looks to be mahogany (possibly
Honduran).

An aside - Mahogany is nothing special to most North American photograhers
needs. There are harder, better woods for sure. Earlier wood might indeed
be a mahogany, but in a camera to be used here - who cares?

I suggest, if you're going to re-use screws (or get new screws),
go to Sears or a hardware store and buy a tube of loc-tite to
fill the old screw-holes first then put in the screws. Fill about
half way, It's what the stuff is made for and works excellently.

Actually, there's a better, simpler way. For old screw holes that are too
loose for their screws, I use the old woodworker's trick of sticking in a
toothpick dipped in glue in the hole, then re-drilling the pilot hole after it
dries. Low-tech and works like a charm.

Now, this is all very interesting and all, but please, can *someone* tell me
something about this camera?

[By the way, another suggestion: get yourself a news client that's smart
enough to snip out sigs (the sig being the saying tacked on to the end of a
message, always preceded by a line consisting of two dashes and a space).
You'll notice that my sig always gets embedded in your reply, which isn't
spozed to happen.]

[By "smart enough" I mean any mail/news client *besides* Micro$oft Outhouse
Express (I can see you're using version 6).]

--
.... but never have I encountered a guy who could not be bothered
to make his own case on his own show.

- Eric Alterman on his appearance on Dennis Miller's bomb of a show
on CNBC (3/17/04)

Old March 27th 04, 11:48 PM
jjs

I can't tell who wrote this:

I suggest, if you're going to re-use screws (or get new screws),
go to Sears or a hardware store and buy a tube of loc-tite to
fill the old screw-holes first then put in the screws. Fill about
half way, It's what the stuff is made for and works excellently.

That's so ****ed. Even Loctite (proper spelling) corporation focuses upon
applications for steel. Their 'rethreading' compound is for steel and it's
not just any old "tube of Loctite", but one in particular. When it comes
to wood, just forget Loctite. Period.
Old March 28th 04, 12:42 AM
AArDvarK

wrote:

[...]

[snip?]

You'll like loctite, it is very powerful stuff that does
no damage at all. If you try it, maybe on something else
you will agree, I promise. I was very impressed with it
for wood.

As far as news programs I am not willing to pay for one
and I hate using "x-news", the GUI is a pain in the neck.
Also I think your problem with my OE replies is no big
deal to me whatsoever, sorry. Other than that ... do you
know of any other free news proggies that are better
than either?

Alex

Old March 28th 04, 12:50 AM
AArDvarK

"jjs" wrote in message ...

I can't tell who wrote this:

I suggest, if you're going to re-use screws (or get new screws),
go to Sears or a hardware store and buy a tube of loc-tite to
fill the old screw-holes first then put in the screws. Fill about
half way, It's what the stuff is made for and works excellently.

That's so ****ed. Even Loctite (proper spelling) corporation focuses upon
applications for steel. Their 'rethreading' compound is for steel and it's
not just any old "tube of Loctite", but one in particular. When it comes
to wood, just forget Loctite. Period.

There is a Loctite* for wood and woodscrew use,
for the purpose of filling into old loose screwholes,
It works awesome. I have used it and was very
impressed. It does not expand or absorb deeply,
or do any damage, or stain. Just a totaly solid grip.

Alex

Old March 28th 04, 12:54 AM
AArDvarK

Were you talking about the following crap, is this the
garbage text that bothers you?:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message ...
On 3/27/2004 4:08 AM AArDvarK spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message ...

On 3/25/2004 9:29 AM jjs spake thus:

In article , David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I agree, outhouse should dump it.

Alex

Old March 28th 04, 03:20 AM
Donn Cave

Quoth David Nebenzahl :
| Now, this is all very interesting and all, but please, can *someone* tell me
| something about this camera?

Is there something in particular you're still wondering about?
If you're up for googling in the archives of this newsgroup,
you might try "Gundlach" as well as other more obvious terms.
It may need some joints re-glued, in the rail frames, to make
it reasonably rigid on the tripod.

Donn
Old March 28th 04, 03:46 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/27/2004 4:42 PM AArDvarK spake thus:

As far as news programs I am not willing to pay for one
and I hate using "x-news", the GUI is a pain in the neck.
Also I think your problem with my OE replies is no big
deal to me whatsoever, sorry. Other than that ... do you
know of any other free news proggies that are better
than either?

Su Opera, Netscape, Mozilla (Thunderbird) just to name the ones I can think
of at the moment. There are others. (I use Netscape 7.0.)

Old March 28th 04, 05:20 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/27/2004 3:48 PM jjs spake thus:

I can't tell who wrote this:

Not me. Having trouble determining attribution?

I suggest, if you're going to re-use screws (or get new screws),
go to Sears or a hardware store and buy a tube of loc-tite to
fill the old screw-holes first then put in the screws. Fill about
half way, It's what the stuff is made for and works excellently.

That's so ****ed. Even Loctite (proper spelling) corporation focuses upon
applications for steel. Their 'rethreading' compound is for steel and it's
not just any old "tube of Loctite", but one in particular. When it comes
to wood, just forget Loctite. Period.

Well, yes, most good woodworkers do. (Forget it, that is.)

Old March 28th 04, 05:24 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 3/27/2004 5:20 PM Donn Cave spake thus:

Quoth David Nebenzahl :
..
| Now, this is all very interesting and all, but please, can *someone* tell me
| something about this camera?

Is there something in particular you're still wondering about?

Yes, and it's something I mentioned in the very first post way up the what
kind of film holders this camera takes, and whether "standard" 5x7 holders
would fit its spring back. Nary a word has been spoken about this. I'm still
wondering.

If you're up for googling in the archives of this newsgroup,
you might try "Gundlach" as well as other more obvious terms.

Why "Gundlach"? That's not the manufacturer of this camera (to my knowledge).
Did they make similar cameras?

It may need some joints re-glued, in the rail frames, to make
it reasonably rigid on the tripod.

Ahem, actually, parts of the camera (the drop bed and front standard)
disassembled themselves nicely into little sticks of wood, which I'm now
reguluing, so yes, I think I know this.