Shutter repair

Old March 24th 04, 09:18 PM
Serge Korolev

Default Shutter repair

Nick Zentena wrote:
How about asking:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/3244/rebora/reb1.html

Plus these guys must have a lead

http://www.silvestricamera.com/

Wow! Those look beautiful!

I've been just advised by the people in Italian newsgroup to a
repair shop in my town.
Thanks anyway for such a source of information.

Serge
Old March 24th 04, 09:35 PM
Serge Korolev

Nick Zentena wrote:
Thanks, I didn't really intend to do it at the moment. I am trying
to discover possiblities to have it surely fixed and, if that would
be possible, to check that it works more or less properly at all
speeds. I am affraid to stick with a queue of issues that not
serviced shutter may give.

Have you tried asking the various shops selling LF cameras and film? Some
one must know a local repair shop.

Yes, I tryed to call some shops that looked professional, even the
one with the highest reputation among amateur's population of my town,
although their prices are on the same reputable level. Though I've
never seen LF cameras sold in any of them. Most of them were asking
for a _camera_ manufacturer, probably intending to redirect my case to
an official distributor center.
There was one answer that advised me to communicate a person who
might help with out-of-production camera things. The same person was
recommended to me in italian usenet group. I think I'll try to give
him a call tomorrow.

Serge

Old March 25th 04, 01:30 PM
Serge Korolev

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Forgive me for speculating, but I find it hard to believe that
there's not a single repair business in all of Italia that could
service this shutter for you. I mean, we know Italy has never
been a leader in photographic equipment (with the possible
exception of the Ducati), but still, there must be enough good
German shutters in the country to warrant a good repair shop.

Well, I've just collected information from an italian usenet group
and after questioning some local stores. As the result, I've been
given coordinates of a person whose repair shop is luckily located not
far from me. I don't believe he is the only one in Italy but I didn't
dig out any other address at the moment.
I just gave him a call to find out that he could try to open and
repair the shutter but wouldn't be able to replace or remanufacture
any part of it in case if something is broken/missing. Apart from the
cost of repair he would charge 150 euro (over $180) extra for a
typical CLA.
SKGrimes is still beating this price, together with delivering
expences and considering that they'll repair it but not merely will
try to.

Serge
Old March 26th 04, 03:45 AM
Frank Pittel

Have your friend send it to S. K. Grimes. They do good work at fair price.
If it's not worth repairing they'll tell you that too.

Serge Korolev wrote:
: Hello,

: Recently I tryed to enter a large-format fotography by acquiring an
: old Graflex Crown special model at eBay. I am residing in Italy and it
: would be quite hard to find those inexpensive cameras here and so I
: decided to pick one in the US. I had a friend there, coming to visit
: me for a vacation and he brought this camera to me.

: I suppose that, being not much experienced in the field, I could
: misoperate a leaf shutter in some way but after a couple of successful
: fires it's got stuck in charged closed position and I cannot release
: it.

: The person who sold me the camera claims that it used to work
: perfectly and I don't see a reason why it can be not true since the
: shutter fired succesfully first time. I believe it might be a "luck"
: of picking-up an old thing at the time when it's ready to break.

: I tryed to call some local stores in my town to ask if they know
: some repair shop or a person who could give a look at the shutter and
: restore its functionality. The only answer I've received so far is
: that _camera_ model is unknown to them and they have no idea where I
: could go with it.

: I don't really know yet if it would so difficult to find a good
: reasonably priced service here in Italy and so I thought that I might
: give it back to my friend who is returning to the US in the next few
: days and he could mail it to some recognized repair shop.

: The question is that does it make more sense to locate another used
: lens for this camera if it would cost me less than a possible repair
: (I don't really know how much it would be)?
: Does it make more sense to find a good service within the EU
: borders, say in Germany, than to have it sent to the US? I just heard
: that services in Germany are easier to find but they are quite
: pricey..

: I'd be grateful for any suggestions on the matter.

: Serge
: Brescia, Italy

: PS. If you answer privately, please replace "usenet" part of email
: with "serge".

Old March 27th 04, 03:12 PM
AArDvarK

Serge here is another business that specializes in shutter repairs:
http://www.khbphotografix.com/ in Canada. They need to be
e-mailed for a quote but you need to give all details of the
shutter's every operation as in the way it is currently working.
They might cost less.

Alex