Some recommendations about church/wedding pictures

Old September 30th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Some recommendations about church/wedding pictures

So, I'm going to shoot a wedding later in october and I've never
actually shot people inside a dimly lit church before. The ceremony
will be at 2 pm so the large mosaic windows will surely let some light
in, but the church is usually pretty dark either way.

So, with that in mind, I'd like some easy pointers about how to shoot
the ceremony. Both for when they walk in and out of the church (i.e.
motion, albeit slow) and shots when they're up on the altar. My
equipment is this:

Nikon D3S
|- Sigma 28mm/1.8
|- Nikkor 50mm/1.4
`- Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3

Nikon D80
`- Tamron 18-200/3.5-6.3 (same as above, but DX)

I will be going to the church prior to the shoot to do some test
shoots, but I was hoping to get some nudges in the right direction.
The D3S has awesome ISO so I was hoping that I wouldn't have to crank
down the aperture and thus get a deeper focus plane. I was also hoping
to get by without using a tripod.

Plus, I was kind of hoping to use the zoom lens when they walk into
the church, and since it has such high aperture, I am concerned about
the shutter speeds needed.

Either way, any comments are welcome - even flaming ones

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 1st 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Sandman
wrote:

Either way, any comments are welcome - even flaming ones

Just asking these questions shows that you are unqualified to
photograph this once-in-a-lifetime event. I don't think I could count
the number of times I've seen amateurs photograph weddings with
disastrous results in the end. Tell the couple to cough up the bucks
and hire a pro.
Old October 1st 10, 10:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Sandman wrote:
So, I'm going to shoot a wedding later in october and I've never
actually shot people inside a dimly lit church before. The ceremony
will be at 2 pm so the large mosaic windows will surely let some light
in, but the church is usually pretty dark either way.

And if you're lucky the groom will be wearing flat black,
and the bride pure white, just to make the exposure "interesting"

BugBear
Old October 1st 10, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 9/30/10 4:57 PM, in article ,
"Sandman" wrote:

[...]

Do yourself, and the newlyweds a favor: DON'T

Old October 1st 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MC[_3_]

Mr. Strat wrote:

In article , Sandman
wrote:

Either way, any comments are welcome - even flaming ones

Just asking these questions shows that you are unqualified to
photograph this once-in-a-lifetime event. I don't think I could count
the number of times I've seen amateurs photograph weddings with
disastrous results in the end. Tell the couple to cough up the bucks
and hire a pro.

Every wedding pro has to shoot their first wedding at some point.
However, if not as a pro's assistant, first weddings should be limited
to small, quiet, non church afairs IMO.

use high (noisy) ISOs. Try not to do this as the results can, and
often do, look awful. Use fast lenses. Most wedding photogaphers of
any worth will spend an awful lot of money on quality, fast lenses.

MC
Old October 1st 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
peter

On 10/1/2010 10:40 AM, MC wrote:
Mr. Strat wrote:

In , Sandman
wrote:

Either way, any comments are welcome - even flaming ones

Just asking these questions shows that you are unqualified to
photograph this once-in-a-lifetime event. I don't think I could count
the number of times I've seen amateurs photograph weddings with
disastrous results in the end. Tell the couple to cough up the bucks
and hire a pro.

Every wedding pro has to shoot their first wedding at some point.
However, if not as a pro's assistant, first weddings should be limited
to small, quiet, non church afairs IMO.

use high (noisy) ISOs. Try not to do this as the results can, and
often do, look awful. Use fast lenses. Most wedding photogaphers of
any worth will spend an awful lot of money on quality, fast lenses.

The Nikon D3s has a very high tolerance for noise. However better advice
would be for the OP to Google for some quick web courses for tips.

Even try a trial subscription to Lynda.com

--
Peter
Old October 1st 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-10-01 09:08:44 -0700, peter said:

On 10/1/2010 10:40 AM, MC wrote:
Mr. Strat wrote:

In , Sandman
wrote:

[...]

I suggest if, he goes ahead with this project unassisted, It might be
worth considering renting a 70-200mm f/2.8 and/or some other lenses
better suited to the difficult light conditions.

http://www.lensrentals.com/for-nikon
or
http://www.lensprotogo.com/

Savageduck

Old October 1st 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joel Connor

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:57:49 +0200, Sandman wrote:

[...]

Avoid using any camera with a loudly slapping mirror and shutter in it.
Lest you be easily perceived as just another one of those intrusive,
scene-stealing, inconsiderate, and disrespectful fools that have caused
cameras to be banned from most all public performances, ceremonies, and
public spaces.
Old October 1st 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 9/30/2010 2:57 PM, Sandman wrote:
[...]

Rent a fast, expensive, prime, VR telephoto lens like the 200mm f/2G ED
VR II. Rent it for two days, and go the day before to practice with some
stunt doubles. Find out the colors the bride and groom will be wearing
and dress the stunt doubles in the same colors. Forget about the slow
zoom--with the high quality prime lens you can crop later and get better
results.

Dimly lit venues can be challenging, it's the number two complaint that
people have with their P&S cameras (number one is the slow AF). With a
D-SLR and a fast lens you'll get much better results.

I had an amateur photographer shoot my wedding (film Nikon) and the
results were outstanding, but it was outdoors and with high end slide
film (at the time a lot of professionals shot slide film). Digital and
indoors, well I hope you practice in advance so the B&G won't be
disappointed.

You did not mention anything about a flash. Presumably they don't want a
flash going off in the church. With fast VR lenses you can probably get
by with no tripod.

Don't cheap out. Rent some professional lenses. Even if you already
quoted a price that doesn't include that cost, do it anyway and write it
off to experience. If you're doing it for a friend, then they should be
happy to pay the lens rental costs.
Old October 1st 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 10/1/10 12:40 PM, in article ,
"SMS" wrote:

[...]

Just WHEN was that time? Wedding photogs make their $$$ selling PRINTS to
the family. Friends, etc.

Have you ever seen Type R prints? They are AWFUL! They are more expensive.

The ONLY halfway decent prints that were direct reversal were Cibachrome and
they really were not that good for skin tones.

The TRUE way of getting good prints from chrome film is with an interneg
with true contrast masking. This would be almost prohibitly expensive for
the photographer. EVERY wedding photographer I have known, dating back to
the 60's, has used negative film, preferably VPS or Portra. And most true
pros shot film in medium format.