Adobe being punished for predatory marketing tactics

Old September 23rd 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

Default Adobe being punished for predatory marketing tactics

"RichA" wrote in message
Tsk, tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/22/tech...tock/index.htm

Just where does that link say that?

--
Peter

Old September 23rd 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
R. Mark Clayton

"Peter" wrote in message
"RichA" wrote in message
Tsk, tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/22/tech...tock/index.htm

Just where does that link say that?

I think the OP is suggesting that this is the reason for poor sales - i.e.
Adobe's tactics are deterring purchasers.

From Battle of Britain (film 1969)

Herman Goerring - "I feel that some [of our] pilots are showing insufficient
courage"
Gen. Hans Jeschonnek - "Nobody is making any suggestion of cowardice Herr
Reischmarschall".
Goering (a WWI fighter ace) - "You do not understand Herr General - I am
making the suggestion!".

Goerring went to his funeral though.

--
Peter

Old September 23rd 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote in message
"RichA" wrote in message
Tsk, Tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/22/tech...tock/index.htm

Just where does that link say that?

I think the OP is suggesting that this is the reason for poor sales - i.e.
Adobe's tactics are deterring purchasers.

I would like to hear it from the OP, then, in plain language, that is not
yellow journalism.
The article discusses the reasons for poor sales. The reason stated in the
article, is not what the OP implies through his posting.

--
Peter

Old September 23rd 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
GMAN[_12_]

"Peter" wrote in message
"RichA" wrote in message
Tsk, Tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

That sounds just like Microsoft and its Windows Products.
Old September 24th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On 9/24/2010 12:40 PM, RichA wrote:
On Sep 23, 3:03 pm, wrote:
"R. Mark wrote in m...

wrote in message
wrote in message
Tsk, Tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/22/tech...tock/index.htm

Just where does that link say that?

I think the OP is suggesting that this is the reason for poor sales - i.e.
Adobe's tactics are deterring purchasers.

I would like to hear it from the OP, then, in plain language, that is not
yellow journalism.
The article discusses the reasons for poor sales. The reason stated in the
article, is not what the OP implies through his posting.

--
Peter

My guess is the reporter isn't intimately familiar with Adobe
marketing tactics.

My guess is that you have no understanding of economics, cost accounting
and business.

--
Peter
Get the chip off your shoulder
Old September 24th 10, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On Sep 23, 3:07 pm, (GMAN) wrote:
In , wrote:

"R. Mark wrote in message

wrote in message
wrote in message
Tsk, Tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

That sounds just like Microsoft and its Windows Products.

They extended XP support to 2014(?) I think. Whereas Adobe simply
refuses to update raw conversion which kills the software's utility
for any new cameras.

For how long should Adobe be required to continue support for products
that are not out at the time of release.

Does that lack of support extend to JPEG and TIFF files, or only
proprietary RAW files?

--
Peter
Old September 25th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
peter

On Sep 23, 3:07 pm, (GMAN) wrote:
In , wrote:

"R. Mark wrote in message

wrote in message
wrote in message
Tsk, Tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

That sounds just like Microsoft and its Windows Products.

They extended XP support to 2014(?) I think. Whereas Adobe simply
refuses to update raw conversion which kills the software's utility
for any new cameras.

For how long should Adobe be required to continue support for products
that are not out at the time of release.

Does that lack of support extend to JPEG and TIFF files, or only
proprietary RAW files?

For software, how about 3 years? AFAIK, the problem is just with the
RAW files because JPEG and TIFF are universal and not proprietary code.

That is exactly my point. The camera manufacturers all provide a means
of converting the camera images to TIFF or JPEG. You are not being
forced to upgrade.

--
Peter
Old September 25th 10, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article 1a7ff44c-3e69-4967-8b98-b6538c0a54f3
@j5g2000vbg.googlegroups.com, RichA says...
Whereas Adobe simply
refuses to update raw conversion which kills the software's utility
for any new cameras.

Well no, because you can always convert to DNG and keep using an old
version of Photoshop. The DNG converter is free.

I had forgotten about DNG. However, IIRC I thought there were issues in the
DNG conversion with some formats. I could be wrong, though.

--
Peter

Old September 25th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 09:52:14 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
m...
In article 1a7ff44c-3e69-4967-8b98-b6538c0a54f3
@j5g2000vbg.googlegroups.com, RichA says...
Whereas Adobe simply
refuses to update raw conversion which kills the software's utility
for any new cameras.

Well no, because you can always convert to DNG and keep using an old
version of Photoshop. The DNG converter is free.

I had forgotten about DNG. However, IIRC I thought there were issues in the
DNG conversion with some formats. I could be wrong, though.

I shoot Nikon, RAW (.NEF), download via Bridge with a setting that
automatically converts files from .NEF to .DNG, and process in CS4.

I have no idea what problems you might have heard about. I have none.
(Except for the images not being as good or as interesting as I
thought they would be when I pushed the shutter.)

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 25th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 09:26:18 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
Tsk, tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/22/tech...tock/index.htm

Just where does that link say that?

I never even bothered with his link. I mean it's CNN for crying out
loud. Would you expect it to be complimentary about ANY big company?
CNN is the TV equalevent of The New York Times. Jaded, biased and
often just plain lying.