Adobe being punished for predatory marketing tactics

Old September 25th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Adobe being punished for predatory marketing tactics

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 05:21:22 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Tsk, tsk. No support for software just a year after its inception,
moving on to newer editions, forcing people to upgrade whether they
needed to or not.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/09/22/tech...tock/index.htm

So, Rich.... what Adobe products do you own legally and use daily?

Personally I own Photoshop CS4 and have had every version since it's
initial release. I also use Illustrator, LightRoom although I don't
have the mose recent versions but I use each several times a week.
I have used Adobe products on both Mac and PC platforms and have met
several Adobe developers and designers and attended countless Adobe
presentations. On top of that, I have had direct dealings with Adobe
customer support AND tech support many times over the decades and
never ONCE had a bad experience. TO INCLUDE the time I asked if there
was anything they could do to replace a stolen Photoshop CD which they
did without question, comment and even sent it to me free of shipping
charges!

Never once did they EVER force me to upgrade. Never once did I see any
lack for suctomer support or technical assistance. While there might
have been a few times they moved a new release along a bit faster than
I might have wanted..... I was never under any pressure to upgrade and
have on a couple of occasions completely skipped a version moving to a
more recent version.

So, in my OWN humble experience I will have to say that I could never
have written a script giving me better customer care than I have
gotten from Adobe. I would recopmment them first time, any place under
any circumstances where their products were applicable. They deliver
what they say as far as I have experienced and they do so with a great
attitude and have always seemed to appreciate my patronage.

Maybe if you were not always looking for the bad in every company and
every situation you too might be received a little better?

Think about. Try it. You might be surprised.
Old September 25th 10, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My experience with Adobe is somewhat similar.
My first PS experience was with a castrated version bundled with a
scanner. I muddled by with an upgrade to an early version of PS Express.
I then parlayed that into an upgrade to PS7 and I eventually bought CS2
because the features that brought to the table over PS7 were
unavoidable.

I was quite happy with CS2, which I combined with Lightroom (upgraded
to LR2). I skipped CS3.
Then I got my D300 and CS2 and its ACR combo would not deal with the
D300 NEF conversion. I muddled by making DNG conversions when importing
into LR2, and if I needed to edit in CS2 I would do that from LR2.
I held off on upgrading to CS4 for a while, but when I did I was
impressed with the changes from CS2. So when CS5 was announced, with
all it had to offer I did not hesitate to upgrade, and I have no
regrets.

Moving from LR2 to LR3 is a move I have not made. Most of the changes
in LR3 are found in ACR 6.1 and CS5. I did not see a need to duplicate
those features when I have already paid for them.

As far as customer care goes, I have had a few opportunities to seek
assistance and all issues were resolved to my satisfaction.
The most recent came a few weeks ago after I decided to get myself a
new 3.6 Ghz Core i5 Mac.
When I tried to load LR2 the install failed. The simple instructions I
was given by a courteous customer care person, was to download the
latest LR2 update as my LR2 on disc was not compatible with the latest
Mac OS X 10.6.4. This person did not try to upsell me into upgrading to
LR3, but gave me the advice I needed, quickly and efficiently.

I have no doubt that some time in the future my versions of LR2 or CS5
will no longer be supported by Adobe due to OS development and changes.
When that happens I might be a little irked, but I will deal with it.

Savageduck

Old September 25th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
On 9/25/10 PDT 11:10 AM, Doug McDonald wrote:
On 9/25/2010 11:55 AM, wrote:

Never once did they EVER force me to upgrade.

But did you every buy a new camera and find that Photoshop could not
open the raw files?

This has happened numerous times.

And it will continue to happen until software writers become omniscient
and can write code for products not released at the time of the software
release.....

They would have to become prescient first.

--
Peter

Old September 25th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-25 11:10:49 -0700, Doug McDonald said:

On 9/25/2010 11:55 AM, wrote:

[...]

Doug McDonald

I can only speak of my experience;
When I was using CS2 and I bought my D300. Adobe had moved on to CS4 by
then and I could not update the version of ACR built for CS2. However I
got by by converting the NEF's to DNG via LR2.
About a year later I upgraded to CS4, and I have since upgraded to CS5,
because of what both of those versions offered.
I am not a fan of the Nikon software.

I was an early G11 buyer and ACR had yet to catch up, so I converted
the CR2 files to DNG. Within 3 weeks there was an ACR update which
brought the G11-CR2 files into the fold.
I tried the Canon DPP software for my G11 CR2 shots, but I was not
happy using it.

Savageduck