Kodachrome

Old December 13th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
ChrisQuayle

Default Kodachrome

Must have been asleep for the past few months - seems that there is now
only a single Kodachrome lab left in the world and Kodachrome super 8 is
no more as well.

How the mighty have fallen...

Chris
Old December 13th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Irwin

ChrisQuayle wrote:
Must have been asleep for the past few months - seems that there is now
only a single Kodachrome lab left in the world

I think there are still two:

http://www.horiuchi-color.co.jp/index2/english/english.html

and

http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

both claim on their websites to do K-14.

Kodak sent my last roll of super-8 to Dwayne's after I just
missed the deadline for Kodak processing.

How the mighty have fallen...

It is too bad. I'm not sure I want to try Ektachrome in
Super-8. I may just stick with black and white.

Peter.

Old December 13th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

--

I just had a roll of Kodachrome done at my local, "Shutterbug". They sent it
to Dwayne's. It didn't cost too much, and they did a good job, but it took

Old December 14th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Summer Wind

"ChrisQuayle" wrote in message
Must have been asleep for the past few months - seems that there is now
only a single Kodachrome lab left in the world and Kodachrome super 8 is
no more as well.

I used mostly E-6 film when I was doing a lot of food photography about ten
years ago, but I would shoot the occasional roll of Kodachrome, mainly
because of its status as a classic. Kodachrome 64 was available at Wal-Mart
and Target in those days. While I liked the results, the wait to get the
chromes back from Kodak was excruciating, and the quality of their service
was deteriorating by that time. The slides were delivered in cheapo
cardboard mounts and were often dusty. I eventually concluded that
Kodachrome wasn't worth the trouble. I still have the Kodachrome Super-8
movies I shot as a teen in the 1960s and they looked great the last time I
viewed them, about two years ago while transferring them to Mini-DV. While
I haven't used it in a long time, my Kodak Instamatic M2 looks to be in
working order and I might run some film through it while I can still get it.
My Super-8 camera, close-up lens, and projector, all in their original
boxes, are tucked away in a closet. The smell of a Kodachrome Super-8
cartridge when you opened the foil package is a pleasant memory from my teen
years.

Does anyone happen to know if Kodachrome was the first film to use the
suffix "chrome"?

SW

Old December 14th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Summer Wind wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if Kodachrome was the first film to use the
suffix "chrome"?

IIRC (I'm not going to check it now), Agfachrome may have been the first.
Old December 14th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Irwin

Summer Wind wrote:

Does anyone happen to know if Kodachrome was the first film to use the
suffix "chrome"?

No, it wasn't even the first stuff that Kodak called "Kodachrome".
The first material of that name was a two colour process on glass
plates from around 1916.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_color_film_systems

"-chrome" was also a common suffix for highly orthochromatic
black and white films of the Verichrome type. Kodak Verichrome,
Ilford Selochrome and Agfa Plenichrome were all black and white
films launched in the early 1930s. People even talked about
"chrome" film meaning film of the Verichrome type.

Both Kodak and Ilford later made panchromatic versions
called "Verichrome Pan" and "Selochrome Pan" respectively.

Peter.

Old December 14th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert

ChrisQuayle wrote:
Must have been asleep for the past few months - seems that there is now
only a single Kodachrome lab left in the world and Kodachrome super 8 is
no more as well.

How the mighty have fallen...

Chris

Here in the UK we used to have a lab in hemel hempstead. When it
closed many years ago we had to send to France, now the only lab is in
Switzerland.

Until a month or so ago, they used to offer as choice of card or
plastic mounts but now they only offer cardboard (or unmounted).

We can still buy process-paid Kodachrom 64 and 200 at about £7-8 for
10 rolls.

Robert

Old December 14th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
James Robinson

"Robert" wrote:

Here in the UK we used to have a lab in hemel hempstead. When it
closed many years ago we had to send to France, now the only lab is in
Switzerland.

The Lausanne lab has also stopped processing Kodachrome recently. The only
two labs left in the world are in the USA and Japan.
Old December 14th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Toni Nikkanen

James Robinson writes:

The Lausanne lab has also stopped processing Kodachrome recently. The only
two labs left in the world are in the USA and Japan.

That's what everyone says, but someone who sent Kodachromes to Lausanne
2 weeks ago got them back, developed, yesterday. It could be the films
made the trip across the ocean and back in two weeks, though.
Old December 14th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
James Robinson

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

James Robinson writes:

The Lausanne lab has also stopped processing Kodachrome recently.
The only two labs left in the world are in the USA and Japan.

That's what everyone says, but someone who sent Kodachromes to
Lausanne 2 weeks ago got them back, developed, yesterday. It could be
the films made the trip across the ocean and back in two weeks,
though.

There is a Wikipedia page that goes into a bit more detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodachrome

"On June 30, 2006, Eastman Kodak announced the closure of the Lausanne
Kodachrome lab, the world's only remaining lab for Kodachrome processing
owned by Eastman Kodak itself. Since September 30, 2006, only Dwayne's
Photo in Kansas and the Horiuchi Color Lab in Tokyo remain: two private
Kodachrome laboratories, both monitored by Kodak. ... From October 2006
onwards, all Kodachrome processing for Europe and North America will be
consolidated to Dwayne's."