Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

Old August 27th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Default Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:54:21 -0400, Walter Banks
wrote:

What took you to Afghanistan? You have done some interesting trips
Sorry about the lens.

I'm not sure, really. I'd been to Syria and Lebanon and was very
interested in Greek, Roman and Persian histories. So that made
Afghanistan a candidate for visiting...and I guess I took the phrase
"off the beaten path" to heart!
--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Website : www.metalvortex.com
Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

"Brain" and "brain"! What is "brain"?!
Old August 27th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas Johnson[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
posed shots would have been welcome.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting faces in
that collection. It's fun to think about the things that formed those faces.

Yes, I like the action shots, too. But there is nothing wrong with impromptu
portraits. I think they can give a brief view into the person.

-- Doug
Old August 27th 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
B. Colton

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:38:38 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
posed shots would have been welcome.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting faces in
that collection. It's fun to think about the things that formed those faces.

The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives says
much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen religion(s).
This could be why the rest of the world has advanced into the 21st century
and they're still a 3rd-world country with nothing but rocks and sand to
show for their beliefs and values for the last 2000 years.

"The size of your weapons doesn't show the heights of your strengths, it
only reveals the depths of your fears and insecurities." -- caMel

Old August 28th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Elliott Roper" wrote in message

Why are us Western idiots bombing the B'Jasus out of those beautiful
people? I don't care if they look static and posed. I'd like to be able
to sit down and hear their story, just after looking at their faces.
Why can't we just get along?

I believe we are attempting to bomb the B'Jesus out of the terrorists who
took out our twin towers and their supporters. (The Taliban) If you want to
turn your back on those actions, then be my guest. But don't bitch at me for
taking the fight over there. I am only exhibiting common sense. I was only
just, "getting along" on September 10th, 2001. But there were others who
obviously didn't want to just, "get along" with me. People reap what they
sew in this world.......

Old August 28th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
J. Clarke

wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more
about the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and
less of the posed shots would have been welcome.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting
faces in that collection. It's fun to think about the things that
formed those faces.

The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
religion(s). This could be why the rest of the world has advanced
into the 21st century and they're still a 3rd-world country with
nothing but rocks and sand to show for their beliefs and values for
the last 2000 years.

I believe that that "artillery" says more about having been invaded by two
different superpowers in the past 30 years than it does about "the ignorance
of their culture and childish chosen religion(s)".

As for their having nothing but rocks and sand, see above.

Old August 28th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

There is a huge difference between the relationship between the Soviets and
Afghans and the U.S. and Afghans over the years since the middle of the 19th
century. I advise reading up on it. (Wikipedia has some nice write-ups) I
certainly wouldn't lump us together as, "Invaded by two superpowers". In
general, we (the US) has done little but give billions in friendly aid to
the Afghans over the years.

Old August 28th 09, 08:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
posed shots would have been welcome.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting faces in
that collection. It's fun to think about the things that formed those faces.

The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives says
much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen religion(s).

It says that for the last hundred or so years they've been fighting a
civil war and been fighting off invading foreign armies who were
taking sides at the same time.

This could be why the rest of the world has advanced into the 21st century
and they're still a 3rd-world country with nothing but rocks and sand to
show for their beliefs and values for the last 2000 years.

I think it's very impressive that they beat off the Russian army and
are now giving the US army a very hard time.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old August 28th 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

While doing nothing effective to stop the distortion of their economy
and the financing of their criminal warlords by the free world's
insatiable demand for black market heroin.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old August 28th 09, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

In message , Bill Graham
writes

"J. Clarke" wrote in message news:h778ep113j0@
news2.newsguy.com...
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

Interestingly both the Afghans and Pakistanis would lump the US and the
USSR together. They can see little between the US and USSR except the
USA has done more damage.

In general, we (the US) has done little but give billions in friendly
aid to the Afghans over the years.

Much the same as the USSR did... however the USSR did not kill as many
Afghan civilians as the USA did..... and is still doing.

The US has given aid but has still not put enough in to repair the
damage it has done over the last 8 years.

As for advanced.... there is a lot more to life than the measures used
by the relatively new USA. Afghanistan was civilised a millennium
before the USA came into being.

Old August 28th 09, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

In message 2009082710430816807-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom
, C J Campbell writes
On 2009-08-26 11:48:43 -0700, Elliott Roper said:

In article , Kulvinder
Singh Matharu wrote:

I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:
http://www.ninjatrek.com/

Thanks. Wonderful. Beautiful.
Why are us Western idiots bombing the B'Jasus out of those beautiful
people? I don't care if they look static and posed. I'd like to be able
to sit down and hear their story, just after looking at their faces.
Why can't we just get along?

Something about freeing them from an oppressive regime called the
Taliban which made Hitler's Germany look like a children's choir.

I have seen interviews recently in both Pakistan and Afghanistan that
say the Taliban and the USA are as bad as each other. Though the USA
forces have killed more civilians of late.