Canon EF Shift Lenses, I miss something....

Old February 25th 05, 11:56 PM
Bandicoot

"David Littlewood" wrote in message
In article , Bandicoot
writes
"David Littlewood" wrote in message
.. .
In article . com,
writes
I've worked with a couple of tilt / shift systems and it has always
seemed to me that the tilt and shift are in the same direction for
typical subjects. The focus plane and perspective plane are usually
tilted in the same direction, both for architecture and table top

work.
I'm trying to think of a subject where I needed to control

perspective
in one direction and depth of field in the other. Obviously you and
the Canon designers have one in mind but I'm drawing a blank. I can
imagine shooting along the front of a building, controlling vertical
convergence with shift and using the flat field geometry to give
sufficient vertical depth of field but allowing normal perspective and
large depth of field horizontally would be a possibility but that

would
be a minor application.

Actually, that is precisely the kind of thing it would be used for, and
for my kind of photography would be the normal case. I cannot think of

single occasion when I would have wanted the tilt and shift in the same
plane - but then I don't do much table-top photography. I *do* use it a
lot for architecture, and such a need has *never* arisen.

Never? As in, you've never wanted to sit the camera near the nice black

and
white chequered floor, use some rise to get in the top of the door at the
end of the corridor, and then some tilt to get the floor tiles all sharp?

;-)

Peter

(No, neither have I. I do use fall and tilt in the same direction quite
often in landscapes though.))

I can see that this would be a valid application; nevertheless, it is
not something I have ever needed to do in 35mm landscape work -
there is so much more depth of field. Now in 5x4, that's a different
story.

David

Ahhh - I didn't specify 35mm, for a reason....

Peter