Anybody have direct experience on the Canon EOS Rebel Xsi?

Old May 17th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered

Default Anybody have direct experience on the Canon EOS Rebel Xsi?

Read an advance look in, I think, Popular Photography on the Rebel Xsi
and was intrigued and highly interested in it to replace my 3 year-old
Rebel XT. There's nothing wrong with the Rebel and it's 8 mega pixels are
enough, but I see great advantes for the 3" LCD especially in live
preview mode, and I think it's improved AF and AE algorithms as I
understand them will help.

I assume all my lenses and 430EX external flash will work. And, I hope
that the Xsi still uses CF cards. If not, can you comment on what it does
use?

TIA.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If it waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck"

Old May 17th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
Read an advance look in, I think, Popular Photography on the Rebel Xsi
and was intrigued and highly interested in it to replace my 3 year-old
Rebel XT. There's nothing wrong with the Rebel and it's 8 mega pixels are
enough, but I see great advantes for the 3" LCD especially in live
preview mode, and I think it's improved AF and AE algorithms as I
understand them will help.

I assume all my lenses and 430EX external flash will work. And, I hope
that the Xsi still uses CF cards. If not, can you comment on what it does
use?

CAn't comment other than it does use SD/SDHC cards, that should not be a
show stopper, a couple of 4Gig cards will only cost a few dollars.

Old May 18th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
l v

HEMI-Powered wrote:
Read an advance look in, I think, Popular Photography on the Rebel Xsi
and was intrigued and highly interested in it to replace my 3 year-old
Rebel XT. There's nothing wrong with the Rebel and it's 8 mega pixels are
enough, but I see great advantes for the 3" LCD especially in live
preview mode, and I think it's improved AF and AE algorithms as I
understand them will help.

I assume all my lenses and 430EX external flash will work. And, I hope
that the Xsi still uses CF cards. If not, can you comment on what it does
use?

TIA.

According to the Xsi manual from Canon's web site - page 178...

"Recording media: SD memory card, SDHC memory card"

--

Len
Old May 18th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard J Kinch

HEMI-Powered writes:

but I see great advantes for the 3" LCD especially in live
preview mode

I upgraded from a 400D to a 40D featuring a larger LCD and live view as the
XSi. I find both features are significant and useful.
Old May 18th 08, 07:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"BobW" wrote in message

"Pete D" wrote in message

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
Read an advance look in, I think, Popular Photography on the Rebel Xsi
and was intrigued and highly interested in it to replace my 3 year-old
Rebel XT. There's nothing wrong with the Rebel and it's 8 mega pixels
are
enough, but I see great advantes for the 3" LCD especially in live
preview mode, and I think it's improved AF and AE algorithms as I
understand them will help.

I assume all my lenses and 430EX external flash will work. And, I hope
that the Xsi still uses CF cards. If not, can you comment on what it
does
use?

CAn't comment other than it does use SD/SDHC cards, that should not be a
show stopper, a couple of 4Gig cards will only cost a few dollars.

Be aware that the SDHC cards (SD cards that are 4GB and larger) may
require you to get a new card reader for your computer.

I tried merely installing Windows XP hotfix KB934428 but it did not
resolve the problem I had reading my 4GB SDHC cards. I bought a new card
reader that specifically says that it supports SDHC (not just SD) and it
works like a champ.

Bob

Some SDHC cards come with a SDHC reader, I think my 4Gb Sandisk card did.

Old May 18th 08, 08:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_5_]

BobW wrote:
[]
Be aware that the SDHC cards (SD cards that are 4GB and larger) may
require you to get a new card reader for your computer.

[]
Bob

So stick with 2GB cards - probably more than enough.

David

Old May 18th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered

Pete D added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

I assume all my lenses and 430EX external flash will work. And, I
hope that the Xsi still uses CF cards. If not, can you comment on
what it does use?

CAn't comment other than it does use SD/SDHC cards, that should not
be a show stopper, a couple of 4Gig cards will only cost a few
dollars.

maybe not a show stopper, but a PITA because I can't use my CFs. Thanks
for the comment.

btw, I would NEVER use more than a 1 gig card EVER - too great a chance
of blowing many hundreds of shots if anything at all goes wrong. much
better to spread the risk across 4 1 gigs, I think. still, since it is
highly unlikely that I'll shoot at over 4 MP, I barely need 2 gig of
memory.

Old May 18th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered

l v added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

I assume all my lenses and 430EX external flash will work. And, I
hope that the Xsi still uses CF cards. If not, can you comment on
what it does use?

According to the Xsi manual from Canon's web site - page 178...

"Recording media: SD memory card, SDHC memory card"

Thanks. If I buy it, I guess I'll have to connect the 4-way card reader I
bought some time back!

Old May 18th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered

Richard J Kinch added these comments in the current discussion du jour

but I see great advantes for the 3" LCD especially in live preview
mode

I upgraded from a 400D to a 40D featuring a larger LCD and live view
as the XSi. I find both features are significant and useful.

I have done no research yet but plan to take a look maybe this afternoon
or early next week. I really like the compact size and weight of the
Rebel series which prevented me from getting a better Canon in the first
place or a Nikon D70s or higher end which I also evaluated. My strength
and endurance isn't what it was when I wore the clothes of a younger man,
so light weight is important to me.

I'm not sure what camera stores, if any, still allow full refunds for any
reason. I think that Ritz still does but I haven't talked to them or any.
I much prefer to buy ONLY from a store that allows refunds just in case I
just don't like it or don't see $800 in improvements with a few hundred
test shots.

Anybody know for sure about the L-glass lenses and Canon external
flashes? Thanks.

Old May 18th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
HEMI-Powered

gotbait added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

As far as I know any EF glass will work including L lenses,Ive been
lookin at this one for mine
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2578A002_70_20
0mm_f_4_0L_USM_Autofocus.html .
Ive had my xsi about a month and am happy with it, taking some
getting used to as my last slr was a minolta x370, that ive used
since 1985.
The flash should be ok also as the 430 was what the Canon Dealer has
been pushing at me.

Great, thanks! You'll be quite happy with it, I think. It is, IMO, a
very good compromise of size/weight, power, and price.

My understanding is that any of the accessories from their newer
cameras will work from the rebels to the d models (30d+).

I would expect that and will find out for sure when I go looking. I
intend to take my Rebel XT with my most commonly used L-glass zoom and
the 430EX and test drive them in the store.

I do know that it used a different battery grip and a different
battery, the sd cards seem fine , but get higher speed ones I was
told, I know the high speed ones transfer data to the puter faster
but not sure if the write in the camera faster.
This is the only photo Ive posted with the xsi, and I degrade the
quality and size to make it less desirable for rippers and other
photo I may have online was taken with a sony dsc v1.
http://faw67.deviantart.com/art/Da-Frog-85827142

It annoys me that I need to buy new SD cards but I guess that's
progress. Also, it is annoying from a $$$ standpoint also, but
expected, that the battery would be different. Seems all the camera
makers have some sort of compulsion to change this stuff each time they
release a new model.Maybe that's an easy way to more revenue when
people upgrade.

Thanks for the link. As I said earlier this morning, I hope I can find
a store that will allow a full Visa refund if I don't like it, but
since I feel so strongly that my current XT was and still is a great
camera, it seems pretty far fetched that I wouldn't like the Xsi with
what I believe are so many improvements.

The main issues I've had with the XT taking my main subject, cars at
outdoor shows and museums are these:

1) AF failures about 2% of the time even though I always use AF lock
and only use one sampling point in the center
2) Flash AE failures even though I also always use AE lock on the back
of the camera (once I found it). It is tedious and never quite right to
keep moving the AE sampling point to different parts of the car until
it looks OK in the LCD. And, the much larger LCD will give me a better
chance at success here
3) Problems with dynamic range both outdoors and with flash. Outdoors,
it is usually when shooting an engine or car interior and everything
else is blown out from being way over-exposed. And, with flash, I have
similar dynamic range problems.

Dang! Forgot to ask people how the noise is on the Xsi!

Since you own one, you're a very good source for an opine. On my XT, I
find that it is pretty much useless above ISO 400 but I would love to
shoot at 1600 (or higher if the Xsi can) because I could get away many
times with the flash which causes it's own kind of problems.

Thanks for the comments and if you have more based on my reply now,
please let me know, I'd appreciated it.