Ferrari butchered by Sony A350

Old May 3rd 08, 10:38 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

Default Ferrari butchered by Sony A350

Boy, bad colors, no sharpness, useless IS and bad software; Sony has a lot
to learn.

But what do you think of the pics?

http://photos-of-portugal.com/

--
Focus

Old May 3rd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Ferrari butchered by inexperienced photographer

Focus wrote:
Boy, bad colors, no sharpness, useless IS and bad software; Sony has a lot
to learn.

But what do you think of the pics?

http://photos-of-portugal.com/

Given the mainly poor composition and clutter I would put the butchery
on the photographer, not the camera. But that is so often the case,
isn't it?

The colors, where not influenced by reflections and open shade (blueness
in the shadows) are as correct as a JPG shown on the internet on a
variety of screens is likely to be.

Shooting so close to dead noon is bound to have issues, isn't it?

Automobile photos done by anyone who knows what they are doing are done
with a lot more care to reflections, lighting and color.

Keep up the good work. You'll get there in time.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 3rd 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Focus wrote:
Boy, bad colors, no sharpness, useless IS and bad software; Sony has a
lot to learn.

But what do you think of the pics?

http://photos-of-portugal.com/

Given the mainly poor composition and clutter I would put the butchery on
the photographer, not the camera. But that is so often the case, isn't
it?

The colors, where not influenced by reflections and open shade (blueness
in the shadows) are as correct as a JPG shown on the internet on a variety
of screens is likely to be.

Shooting so close to dead noon is bound to have issues, isn't it?

Automobile photos done by anyone who knows what they are doing are done
with a lot more care to reflections, lighting and color.

Keep up the good work. You'll get there in time.

It was late in the afternoon, about 4.00. Not my time, but the client wanted
it. Also I wanted to go to a nice place at a beach, but he preferred this
background.
The colors aren't good. If you look closer, you'll find magenta bleeding in
the red. The RAW files were even worse, with some parts more orange and
others total magenta.
Just shows how useless those reviews are on all sites.

--
Focus

Old May 3rd 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Focus wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message

The colors, where not influenced by reflections and open shade (blueness
in the shadows) are as correct as a JPG shown on the internet on a variety
of screens is likely to be.

Shooting so close to dead noon is bound to have issues, isn't it?

n the afternoon, about 4.00.

Portugal at 16:00 the sun is very high in May ... same thing.

Not my time, but the client wanted
it. Also I wanted to go to a nice place at a beach, but he preferred this
background.
The colors aren't good. If you look closer, you'll find magenta bleeding in
the red. The RAW files were even worse, with some parts more orange and
others total magenta.

Again, look up. Sky=blue: this will bleed into the blue channel. Point
you photoshop cursor at the pavement shadow are near the car and you'll
see a huge magenta component. This is not the camera's fault - it is
the 'fill' from the blue sky.

In a raw file the only colors are RGB (for this sensor). How did you
import them? What s/w? What settings?

Actually I have seen reports on the 350 referring to softness issues,
but not color issues.

The IS of even the lowly Maxxum 7D is very good to about 2 stops if you
use good handholding technique. OTOH, if I were shooting a car I would
definitely be using a tripod.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 4th 08, 12:28 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2008-05-03 14:38:27 -0700, "Focus" said:

Boy, bad colors, no sharpness, useless IS and bad software; Sony has a lot
to learn.

But what do you think of the pics?

http://photos-of-portugal.com/

Nice car. Too bad about the terrible lighting conditions. Even shading
it with a bed sheet would have helped.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 4th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Focus wrote:

It was late in the afternoon, about 4.00. Not my time, but the client wanted
it. Also I wanted to go to a nice place at a beach, but he preferred this
background.
The colors aren't good. If you look closer, you'll find magenta bleeding in
the red. The RAW files were even worse, with some parts more orange and
others total magenta.
Just shows how useless those reviews are on all sites.

For cars, work at dusk with the afterglow of sunset in sky - a big, soft
light over the top of the car. Go down to the beach or use a light
ground not black tarmac.

It's the harsh light which is at fault here, not the camera in any way.
For this colour, you should shoot or process to AdobeRGB (doesn't help
web viewing I know) and adjusting the White Balance can have useful results.

But the secret to really great car shots is after-sunset or dawn light
plus water or sand - loads of reflection.

David

--
Icon Publications Ltd, Maxwell Place, Maxwell Lane, Kelso TD5 7BB
Company Registered in England No 2122711. Registered Office 12 Exchange
Old May 4th 08, 12:43 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Smeeegles

On 2008-05-03 14:38:27 -0700, "Focus" said:

Boy, bad colors, no sharpness, useless IS and bad software; Sony has a
lot
to learn.

But what do you think of the pics?

http://photos-of-portugal.com/

Nice car. Too bad about the terrible lighting conditions. Even shading
it with a bed sheet would have helped.

looks like a typical point and shoot quality camera picture.
composition is excellent so it makes up for the poor quality equipment.
Old May 4th 08, 03:04 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dj_nme[_2_]

On 2008-05-03 14:38:27 -0700, "Focus" said:

Boy, bad colors, no sharpness, useless IS and bad software; Sony has
a lot
to learn.

Says you.
What, no exif data?

But what do you think of the pics?

http://photos-of-portugal.com/

Nice car. Too bad about the terrible lighting conditions. Even shading
it with a bed sheet would have helped.

looks like a typical point and shoot quality camera picture.

Or, a "point and shoot" quality user.
To compensate for the high contrast between the top of the car and the
side, infill flash should have been used to fill the shadow and reduce
the contrast between side and top.
Set the camera to expose the rest of the scene correctly (eg ISO 100
1/100th f1:16) and the flash at -2EV to put some light in the shadows on
the car without washing them out completely.

composition is excellent so it makes up for the poor quality equipment.

We only have the word of the OP that the camera used to take these was
actually a Sony A350, the exif has been stripped and so there is no way
to confirm or disprove his(?) claims.
Old May 4th 08, 04:11 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

dj_nme wrote:

We only have the word of the OP that the camera used to take these was
actually a Sony A350, the exif has been stripped and so there is no way
to confirm or disprove his(?) claims.

Except he's been posting here (dslr.systems) for a while, seems a
reasonable person - not a troll, and some of us tend to believe him.
EXIF proves nothing anyway - it's very easy to forge.
Old May 4th 08, 10:00 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Focus says...
Boy, bad colors, no sharpness, useless IS and bad software; Sony has a lot
to learn.

But what do you think of the pics?

http://photos-of-portugal.com/

I don't understand your "no sharpness, useless IS" claim. First of all
to judge sharpness you would have to inspect the high resolution
originals, not some resized images.

Secondly, on such a bright day the exposure times must have been very
short, so IS will not have been used. So why are you complaing about IS?

As for the colours if you shoot RAW, the camera output does not matter.

And what do you mean with bad software?
--

Alfred Molon