Why does English call a "still life" what the Italians call "Natura Morta"

Old April 27th 07, 02:36 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
[email protected]

Default Why does English call a "still life" what the Italians call "Natura Morta"

In looking up the American English meaning of "still life", I find the
Italians & French refer to it as "dead nature".

What do the British call a photograph of fruits sitting on a table?

Any idea of the origin of the opposite feelings across the pond?
Old April 27th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
Don Phillipson

" kaci wrote in message
t...

In looking up the American English meaning of "still life", I find the
Italians & French refer to it as "dead nature".

What do the British call a photograph of fruits sitting on a table?

"Still life" is a type of painting characterized by
(1) No people in the picture (no portraits, no figures);
(2) Close-up focus i.e. not a "landscape" or picture
of a building etc.

A century ago these pictorial categories were used to
talk about photographs: but much less nowadays.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old April 27th 07, 04:00 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
Grrr

In alt.usage.english Don Phillipson wrote:

"Still life" is a type of painting characterized by
(1) No people in the picture (no portraits, no figures);

I was thinking about Cezanne the other day. He was the bourgeois' favorite
peasant painter because he hardly puts any nasty peasants in his Provencal
paintings.
Old April 27th 07, 04:05 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
Peter Duncanson

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:36:01 GMT, "
kaci wrote:

In looking up the American English meaning of "still life", I find the
Italians & French refer to it as "dead nature".

What do the British call a photograph of fruits sitting on a table?

A "still life".

From the COED:
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/stilllife?view=uk

a painting or drawing of an arrangement of objects such as
flowers or fruit.

The SOED definition is broader:

Still life. 1695 [f. STILL a. + LIFE sb., after Du.
'stilleven'.] Inanimate objects, such as fruit, flowers, dead
game, vessels, etc., as represented in painting.

Any idea of the origin of the opposite feelings across the pond?

I wonder whether we should interpret the words as "dead" = "still",
and "nature" = "life".

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Old April 27th 07, 04:16 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
Erik A. Mattila

Biljo White wrote:
" kaci wrote:
".

What do the British call a photograph of fruits sitting on a table?

Parliament

Touché, Biljo...and thanks for the morning laugh.
Old April 27th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
Bert Hyman

kaci ) wrote in
t:

In looking up the American English meaning of "still life", I find
the Italians & French refer to it as "dead nature".

I think you're making a mistake by simply taking one dictionary
definition of each word of a phrase in another language and expecting
the result to make sense in English.

I can imagine some non-Enlish speaker doing the same with "still
life" and wondering about the non-carbonated aspect of it.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Old April 27th 07, 04:30 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
Purl Gurl

cityinvestor wrote:

In looking up the American English meaning of "still life", I find the
Italians & French refer to it as "dead nature".

What do the British call a photograph of fruits sitting on a table?

A gathering of gay.

Purl Gurl

Old April 27th 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.usage.english,rec.photo.digital,rec.arts.fine
gpaleo

Ï "Biljo White" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

" kaci wrote:
".

What do the British call a photograph of fruits sitting on a table?

Parliament