Almost Arrested In NYC

Old March 6th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Default Almost Arrested In NYC

wrote:
I guess it makes sense with all the added post 9/11 security measures,
but I have been questioned numerous times taking photos of manhole
covers in the city. I've traveled the world taking pictures - not
always of manhole covers of course - and never been hassled, but it's
happened on more than one occasion here. I suppose photagraphing
anything that's affiliated with the 'workings' of the city could be
presumed as suspicious activity. This hasn't dampened my enthusiasm,
I just thought it was interesting to share.

John

www.johnkenneyink.com

Looked at your site man.

They probably thought you were just shuckin' about the photography and
only waitin' for 'em to split 'fore you whipped out a can of spray paint
& started wit' the graffitti!

Hang in there.

BTW, I'd never seen wooden man-hole covers before.
Old March 7th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Mar 5, 9:21 pm, Pudentame wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The wooden ones seem to be te coolest looking. I tend to see them
more in Europe, but the one you saw on my site was taken on the Upper
East Side of New York City. It was actually the first one I took in
the series!

John

Old March 7th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Bob Hickey" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I guess it makes sense with all the added post 9/11 security measures,
but I have been questioned numerous times taking photos of manhole
covers in the city. I've traveled the world taking pictures - not
always of manhole covers of course - and never been hassled, but it's
happened on more than one occasion here. I suppose photagraphing
anything that's affiliated with the 'workings' of the city could be
presumed as suspicious activity. This hasn't dampened my enthusiasm,
I just thought it was interesting to share.

John

www.johnkenneyink.com

Speaking as one who's been stopped by everyone but cops, I don't think it
has anything to do with 911 any more. It's just a golden opportunity for
every unemployable who can find a pencil. And it never occurs to the
idiots
that a terrorist would ever tell a lie. OTOH, if I had a choice between
talking to photographers on the street or checking sneakers at the
airport,
the choice would be obvious. Great website. Bob Hickey

Yeah.....Don't forget, cops get bored too.....Sometimes it's OK to humor
them a little.......

Old March 8th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Magic Lantern

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Yeah, if I were a cop I would arrest you too for photographing manhole
covers. For Christ's sake the sheer stupidity of this act is borderline
insane. What purpose does it satisfy? The only manhole covers worthy of
photographing are the 1954 George Washington Carver collectors' edition, all
of which are in museums.

You did even ask him about his camera system... What if he has a Nikon? What
else can you meaningfully photograph with a Nikon besides manhole covers?