General Electric (GE) camera

Old February 14th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
moonsotti

Default General Electric (GE) camera

General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
manufacturers,
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07...ralimaging.asp

They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
sensitivity, and
panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.

"Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
3-inch LCD screens."

In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
"me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

Old February 14th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

I don't see it working out. The market is already so saturated with
digicams - and digicam makers - that manufacturers are dropping out of
it. The number of possible first-time digicam buyers in America must
drop by the day - and be few now. And the camera phone sales are
eating into the "Instamatic" side of the digicam market.

Old February 14th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article . com,
" wrote:

I don't see it working out. The market is already so saturated with
digicams - and digicam makers - that manufacturers are dropping out of
it. The number of possible first-time digicam buyers in America must
drop by the day - and be few now. And the camera phone sales are
eating into the "Instamatic" side of the digicam market.

I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have never once -
in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer electronics product that was
satisfactory. They would have been better off with a new brand name,
but I'm sure they're just relabeling some Taiwan junk anyway.

Nice jet engines, though.
Old February 14th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:35:35 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:

I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have never once -
in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer electronics product that was
satisfactory. They would have been better off with a new brand name,
but I'm sure they're just relabeling some Taiwan junk anyway.

Nice jet engines, though.

I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r.../gesr_faq.html

Old February 14th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"moonsotti" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think we should start a pool and all pick dates on when GE will drop this
foolish activity. Or pick how many months they'll stay at it. God, what a
stupid move. Did anyone every think of the name "GE" when referring to a
camera? Nope, never, not in their over 100 year life.

Old February 14th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Feb 14, 7:31 pm, "moonsotti" wrote:
[...]

Welcome to yesterday......

K202

Old February 14th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , ASAAR
wrote:

I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

Nope; it would never have occurred to me to look at it. Interesting,
though - I've often bemoaned the miserable AM performance of almost all
recent car stereos, stereo receivers, etc. - even some very high-end
units.

I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
before finding one that's satisfactory."
Old February 14th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill K

On Feb 14, 3:26 pm, Scott Schuckert wrote:
In article , ASAAR

wrote:
I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

Nope; it would never have occurred to me to look at it. Interesting,
though - I've often bemoaned the miserable AM performance of almost all
recent car stereos, stereo receivers, etc. - even some very high-end
units.

I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
before finding one that's satisfactory."

GE is a huge company--one of the largest corporations in the world. It
has a tremendous amount of resources and doesn't undertake an
initiative without exhaustive research. Maybe they believe theyve
found a niche where they can dominate. Whether or not it's successful
remains to be seen but given GE's reputation, it has a strong chance
of success.
--
Gator Bait

Old February 14th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:23:28 GMT, "Kinon O'Cann" wrote:

"moonsotti" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Nobody ever thought of GE when referring to an airplane engine until
they built their first one. Now they're a major player in hat market.

GE's more than twice the size of, say, Sony--they certainly have the
capitalization to establish themselves in the market. The question is
whether they can come up with a competitive product.
Old February 14th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:26:22 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:

I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
before finding one that's satisfactory."

The article that I provided the link to does not contain the word
"severe" nor the word "quality". It does contain several dozen
links to additional articles, and what you read is probably from one
of those, but after checking a couple of them, including one on
"repairs and modifications" I still didn't locate what you found.
Considering the type of person these FAQs were written for, the
"severe quality control issues" may have been the types of quality
control issues that would affect performance, and would be typical
of most similarly constructed and inexpensive electronic products,
but would probably go unnoticed by most purchasers. For a while,
Radio Shack sold a similar radio, possibly trying to capitalize on
the reputation of the GE SuperRadios. Now *there* was a product
that had severe quality control issues, as well as lesser
performance due to the use of inferior parts, such as a smaller
ferrite loop antenna and other things that most owners would never
see. To get better performance that this $50 analog radio one might
have to buy a radio from companies such as Drake, but then be
prepared to spend from $400 to $1,000. That makes it very easy to
tolerate most quality control issues. I can't think of any problem
I had with mine, and have had many quality control issues with
several of Sony's much more highly regarded and expensive AM/FM/SW
portable radios, none of which matched the SuperRadio's performance.