35mm film vs Digital..what is the difference?

Old December 22nd 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Marion

Default 35mm film vs Digital..what is the difference?

Minolta Maxxum 9. (More expensive, but a pro level full featured machine)
Maxxum 7 (Full featured)

Canon Elan 7e.

Nikon F100, F80, F5

Pentax MS-Z, ZX-5

Many others...

Oh my!

I'm already having trouble with picking stuff from ebay as it is from
just the Pentax K1000. There are 4 pages of stuff to sort through and
now there are others...lol.

I think I should visit my local camera shop and see if I can pick
something that way or once I see their prices, maybe run back to ebay

So many cameras, so little time...

Old December 22nd 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

It really doesn't matter in the end _how_ you learn as long as you
_learn_.

I don't know. I think I would turn it on it's head:

The only thing one needs to be taught is how to learn.

The difference between me and my dog is that I learn faster
and with more comprehension. That and women seem to like
the dog better ...

I think meta-learning (learning about learning) is best
taught by someone else - it is a hard skill to master
and best approached obliquely: one studies Shakespeare
under tutelage to learn how to study literature.

It's not what I know that really matters - Google will
beat me every time - but how fast I can learn something
new.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old December 22nd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

Starlord wrote:
I will never use a digital camera, I have and use the following:

Never?? never is a long time. You will use a digital one day.

Topcon Super D (1968)

Exa (1954)

Exacta (1930)

Also film can be stored and you can take it out at some later date and have
prints made from the Neg's, all done without the high priced software
photshop or any other. I used to have a darkroom ages ago and with some
touchs of my littles tools, I could burn in or soften an area of a print and
you'd not notice it in the print either. Plus I can shot slides and still do
too.

Film is far from being "Dead", right now I have at lest 50 rolls of film in
my freezer and anytime I see a deal on film, even outdated, I'll grabe some
and stach it in my freezer, which allows it to be used far down the road of
time. All my cameras are loaded with film and are always at the ready to
take out and do some shooting.

What will you do when one day there will not be anyone processing film?
Already there is only one kodachrome lab left in the entire world. It
doesn't take a genius to see the trend.

Colin D.

Old December 22nd 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

Greg Campbell wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:

Marion wrote:

I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera instead of a digital camera.

Sounds like a History class to me. Tell them to get into the game.
Film is dead.

What a worthless troll you are.
I suppose you just can't help yourself, can you...

Annika is right. Film is obsolescent - still available, but shrinking
by the day. If your health was going the way of film right now, your
relatives would be booking the funeral celebrant.

Colin D.

Old December 22nd 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Colin_D

Chris Loffredo wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Marion wrote:
I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera instead of a digital camera.

Sounds like a History class to me. Tell them to get into the game.
Film is dead.

They could require using Canon equipment, just so the students can
discover what trash really is...

If there's such a thing as an anti-fetish, you've got it.

Colin D.

Old December 22nd 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Marion" wrote

I think I should visit my local camera shop and see if I can pick
something that way or once I see their prices, maybe run back to ebay

You get what you pay for on ebay, same as anywhere else. True
bargains are few and far between. Low priced junk abounds --
run from the warning sounds: I don't have the batteries but I
was told it works, the original owner used it very little,
would make a fine addition, you will like this camera,
I don't know much about cameras so ask, it makes a noise
when I press the shutter release, from an estate sale, as is.

Stores often have quite a bit of wiggle room on used equipment
pricing, try making a deal [how much for the camera, xxx film,
xxx paper, that tripod if I buy it as a package...].

A proper camera shop should be piled high with photographic
junque. If it is all clean and tidy and modern and most of
the display space is filled with picture albums, frames and
fanny packs and their darkroom section consists of a bag of
Dektol and a 25-sheet pack of 8x10 RC on a bottom shelf then
you need another camera shop.

The best 2nd hand location is KEH camera brokers. On the
web. The place to go if you need it and you need it to
work.

Old December 22nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Colin_D wrote:
Chris Loffredo wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Marion wrote:
I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera instead of a digital camera.

Sounds like a History class to me. Tell them to get into the game.
Film is dead.

They could require using Canon equipment, just so the students can
discover what trash really is...

If there's such a thing as an anti-fetish, you've got it.

So speaketh a digital (and humor-challenged) troll...
Old December 22nd 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Colin_D wrote:
Starlord wrote:
[...]

Yes, please do what the mainstream does; otherwise you might be
suspected of being "different"...
Old December 23rd 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Greg Campbell wrote:

Still, I've always wondered by people always seem to pimp the K1000 as
some sort of Super Noobie Camera.

Because it's super simple. It's about as close to a point 'n shoot as
you can get with interchangeable lenses.

Secondly, there's a ton of them out there, most are in reasonably good
shape and they're *CHEAP* (as in inexpensive).

It works well with several of Pentax's better bayonet mount lenses (50
f/1.4M ... YMMV)

And it will still work at all shutter speeds with a dead battery.

So, Marion, where you taking Photography?
Old December 23rd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pudentame

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Marion" wrote

I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera ... can't understand why
anyone would want to use a 35mm when you can instantly download your
pictures into your computer to put to use immediately with a digital.

Ask the question again after you have finished the course.

Reasons:

1) By analogy, you can learn to play the piano on a
Bösendorfer or you can learn using a $100 digital
keyboard from K-Mart.

2) The instructor is over some age older than the reader
years old and just doesn't get all this digital thing
the kids are doing nowadays.

3) Digital isn't photography, and photography isn't art,
and some posters, and your teacher, are off their medications.

4) It's the way your teacher learned. If it was good enough
for him it is _certainly_ good enough for you.

But seriously, it _is_ different. There is no skill in
getting _some_ results using a digi-cam. If you want to
learn the skill/craft/art of photography then you start
from the basics.

If you want to be good at photography, or at anything else,
some principles a

o Quality over quantity
o Control over luck
o Permanence over ephemerality
o Transcendence over commonality

and these are not the guiding principles of digital
technology. One has to _overcome_ the limitations
of digital to achieve them.

To really start a photographic education you would
first take courses in drawing and painting -- the thing
is all about making an image. The best 'how' depends
on the image to be made.

Yeah, where I went to school, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"
was one of the required first semester texts, and we worked from it
every day.

Of course, they also required you to start with a Medium Format camera.
We didn't get to touch 35mm until the third semester.

Although during that same semester we did 35mm film and "35mm" digital,
Large Format film and digital capture in both large and medium format.

Very "old school" ... Portrait Lighting - Studio Lighting - Product
Lighting; matting & presentation - spotting prints - retouching
negatives - digital workflow.

The first two semesters were all wet darkroom, B&W, then color RA-4
printing.