35mm film vs Digital..what is the difference?

Old December 22nd 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Greg Campbell

Default 35mm film vs Digital..what is the difference?

Annika1980 wrote:

Marion wrote:

I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera instead of a digital camera.

Sounds like a History class to me. Tell them to get into the game.
Film is dead.

What a worthless troll you are.
I suppose you just can't help yourself, can you...
Old December 22nd 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Marion

jeremy wrote:
I have two recommendations and a link for you.

1: Pentax made a camera for nearly 30 years, that was well-received by
students and teachers back in the 70s, called the K-1000. There are tons of
them out there, but I suggest that you get one of the models that was
designed to replace it: either the P3n or the P30t. You can buy them on
eBay, with an excellent 50mm f/2 lens, for under $100.00, and most of them
are in near mint condition, because they were sold primarily to amateurs
that typically shot only a roll or two per year. I have 4 of them, and they
all arrived from eBay sellers looking as though they had just come out of
their new boxes.

Don't get the P3 or the P30, as they did not have all of the features of the
P3n and P30t. Be careful when you go through the eBay listings.

Awesome advice.

I looked on ebay and all I could find were manuals for the Pentax P3t
P30t. But as you said there are tons of K1000 cameras out there and I
might go with this only for availablity.

Film is still used for a reason, I'm sure and I"m likely to realize
what that reason will be after this class.

Thanks all for your input, I truly appreciate it.

Marion

Old December 22nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Annika1980 wrote:
Marion wrote:
I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera instead of a digital camera.

Sounds like a History class to me. Tell them to get into the game.
Film is dead.

They could require using Canon equipment, just so the students can
discover what trash really is...
Old December 22nd 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Marion wrote:
jeremy wrote:
[...]

The K1000 was a "best buy" 15 or 20 years ago - I actually convinced
some of my friends to buy it.

The situation is no longer the same now: You can get some of the best
film cameras ever made for less than the price of a K1000 (which,
fatally, doesn't have DOF preview) and which is now a highly overrated
camera.

Digital is like fast food and film is like some obscure ethnic cuisine:
Each has its supporters and detractors. But if you want to learn real
cooking, I'd suggest starting with the ethnic cuisine...
Old December 22nd 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Advocate54

--
"The voices in my head told me to stay home and clean guns today"
"Greg Campbell" wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:

Marion wrote:

I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera instead of a digital camera.

Sounds like a History class to me. Tell them to get into the game.
Film is dead.

What a worthless troll you are.
I suppose you just can't help yourself, can you...

He certainly isn't a troll...I am a die-hard film user and do not shoot
digital. I love my film cameras and frequently "exercise" my Nikkormat, FE,
F3, OM2 etc. But I am enough of a realist to see that film, although not
dead, is bleeding from an artery.

Old December 22nd 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Marion

Chris Loffredo wrote:

The K1000 was a "best buy" 15 or 20 years ago - I actually convinced
some of my friends to buy it.

The situation is no longer the same now: You can get some of the best
film cameras ever made for less than the price of a K1000 (which,
fatally, doesn't have DOF preview) and which is now a highly overrated
camera.

Oh? What cameras are those that are less than the price of a K1000?
(Trying not to get overwhelmed by all the stuff I see on Ebay...this
lens, that lens ...can't wait till I figure outthe diff between lens
and such. They all look alike to me!)

Old December 22nd 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Advocate54

The K1000 was a "best buy" 15 or 20 years ago - I actually convinced some
of my friends to buy it.

The situation is no longer the same now: You can get some of the best film
cameras ever made for less than the price of a K1000 (which, fatally,
doesn't have DOF preview) and which is now a highly overrated camera.

The K1000 wasn't even a best buy 20 years ago. It was always an over rated
camera by its loyal following. It was a decent learning tool that was
capable of taking a hard knock though.

Old December 22nd 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Marion wrote:
I'm sorry for such a newbie sort of question.

Does anyone have a recommedation for a relatively inexpensive 35mm film
camera for a newbie photographer?

There are gazillions for sale, used.

Minolta Maxxum 9. (More expensive, but a pro level full featured machine)
Maxxum 7 (Full featured)

Canon Elan 7e.

Nikon F100, F80, F5

Pentax MS-Z, ZX-5

Many others...

I'm about to start a class in Photography and noticed the class
required a 35mm film camera instead of a digital camera. Is there
really a difference in quality of pictures between 35mm and digital
cameras? I already have a digital camera, and can't understand why
anyone would want to use a 35mm when you can instantly download your
pictures into your computer to put to use immediately with a digital.

The photography course wants you to focus on composition, exposure, etc.

It's 6 one way, half a dozen the other. IMO, the instant feedback with
digital will help you evolve quicker in terms of composition and
creativity.

OTOH, being forced to think through exposure with a film camera and then
waiting for the results will improve your technical skills.

It really doesn't matter in the end _how_ you learn as long as you _learn_.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 22nd 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Väinö Louekari

(snip)

It really doesn't matter in the end _how_ you learn as long as you _learn_.

Cheers,
Alan

Right!
After all, photography is not about digital/analog (yes, I use both). It
is not about cameras. It is about images and why You want to make images.
You can learn the basic techniques both ways if the will to learn is there.
Well, having said that, I just love those late 1970s frying-pan-iron
mechanical Pentaxes and would not trade my KX for anything.

And the original question was a good one.

Väinö Louekari

PS
As for image quality, a high-end DSLR with a big enough sensor and big
enough pixels will produce image quality on par or even better than 35
mm film. And a bad lens will produce a bad image on both.

PPS
Darkroom is a truly magical place
Old December 22nd 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Marion wrote:
Chris Loffredo wrote:
The K1000 was a "best buy" 15 or 20 years ago - I actually convinced
some of my friends to buy it.

The situation is no longer the same now: You can get some of the best
film cameras ever made for less than the price of a K1000 (which,
fatally, doesn't have DOF preview) and which is now a highly overrated
camera.

Oh? What cameras are those that are less than the price of a K1000?
(Trying not to get overwhelmed by all the stuff I see on Ebay...this
lens, that lens ...can't wait till I figure outthe diff between lens
and such. They all look alike to me!)

Just to name a few:
Pentax KX, K2, KM...
Nikon FM, FM2, FE, FE2, FM2n...
Canon (various junk...) ;-)
Rolleiflex: SL35-E (if you can find one in good working condition)
Leica R4s (just picked one up from a shop with guarantee for €135),
otherwise a Leicaflex Sl goes for under €200 now.
And many others which I haven't tried...