Visual perception and gamma encoding

Old October 7th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Johannes

Default Visual perception and gamma encoding

Hi,

dealing with linear, non-linear and gamma encoding of digital images
Iīve read several older postings in this and related newsgroups
stating that our visual perception allows us to distinguish more
lightness levels in the brighter parts of an image than in itīs darker
parts and that this is one reason that 8 bit gamma encoding works quite
well. As those postings never stated on what source they were based or
how this effect can be quantifyed (and I wasnīt able to find any
material either) I would like to know if someone could give me a hint.

Best regards!
Johannes

Old October 8th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

I would strongly suggest a visit to Norman Koren's excellent site, and
in particular this page.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1B.html

There is another guy who has some interesting (but in parts,
controversial) stuff on Gamma - Timo Autiokari - there are links to his
stuff on Norman's page. Be prepared for some interesting but heavy
reading!

Old October 8th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Whoops, left off the main link I intended to put first!

Charles Poynton's page:
http://www.poynton.com/Poynton-color.html

Old October 8th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Johannes wrote:
Hi,

dealing with linear, non-linear and gamma encoding of digital images
Iīve read several older postings in this and related newsgroups
stating that our visual perception allows us to distinguish more
lightness levels in the brighter parts of an image than in itīs darker
parts and that this is one reason that 8 bit gamma encoding works quite
well. As those postings never stated on what source they were based or
how this effect can be quantifyed (and I wasnīt able to find any
material either) I would like to know if someone could give me a hint.

Best regards!
Johannes

The surroundings (light color and brightness, wall colors,
eye fatigue) affect perception. Galleries try to control
the light and wall colors.

The eye/brain visual system does not work like a camera.