35mm film, how much longer?

Old August 23rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Sander Vesik

Default 35mm film, how much longer?

jeremy wrote:

Does anyone really believe that all film will suddenly disappear?

Yes. Does it matter? People belive in all kinds of weird things. Or
conversly, weirldy enough don't believe in well known facts ... Beliefs
are not really a goo dindicator of facts or future trends.

I think Kodachrome is on borrowed time, but it seems doubtful that the
owners of those many millions of film cameras out there will all pack it in.
I wouldn't be surprised to see virtually all film being manufactured in the
Third World, rather than Rochester. That has already begun with some Kodak
consumer emulsions (Gold 200 is one that comes to mind). One day our Kodak
and Fuji-branded films may be manufactured under license, but I think that
film cameras will go completely out of production long before film itself is
withdrawn.

The manufactire of professional films has not really changed though.

Consumers will probably abandon film entirely--at least in industrialized
nations.

That is not so certain. A lot of esp. elderly people won't. Because of
ease of use really.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old August 23rd 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"no_name" wrote in message
.. .
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

jeremy wrote:

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message

The coffee and tea analogy is not really appropriate as they are
concurrent.
A more appropriate analogy might be the horse and buggy being superceded
by
the automobile. The process took about 30 years, but then it was
largely
complete. Only the Amish hold out now.

Don't bet the farm on that prediction.

There is no talk whatsoever about digital being able to even come close
to the quality of 4x5 or 8x10. Digital is certainly well on its way to
replacing film for consumer and advanced amateur applications, but studio
work with LF remains the domain of film.

It hasn't been 30 years either. Digital sensors will grow to accommodate
demand and will be priced according the market. Time is all that is
required.
The writing is on the wall. I wish it weren't so as I really love using
slide
film.

I expect in the digital world of the future, there'll be a lot more
"Amish" hold outs.

It's not a bad anology btw, somebody still makes buggy's for the Amish to
buy.

Lots of people do....Check out some of these links:
http://www.best-price.com/procSystem...+Carriage.html

Old August 23rd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
no_name

jeremy wrote:

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
link.net...

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

Bandicoot wrote:

"no_name" wrote:

jeremy wrote:

Does anyone really believe that all film will suddenly disappear?

Some of the digirati are hoping.

One has to wonder why ... [tea Vs coffee]

horse and buggy ... [Vs] ... automobile.

Psychological? Maybe the digirati wonder if they have spent
money wisely on a technology in flux [though that does not seem to
be an American trait]. And it isn't like the film camp doesn't
stick its finger in the binary eye. I think both sides
have doubts and cover them up with bombast.

Truth is, nobody knows what future developments will bring.

I concede that, if digital can yield all the advantages of film, there would
be little reason not to switch. Film would go the way of the wind-up alarm
clock.

Of which I currently have two.

Hurricane Fran, the power was out for at least a week. No TV, no ice, no
microwave popcorn, but the damn alarm clock worked.

But I suspect that there may be some areas where film is more
appropriate to produce the results that a photographer wants. So I don't
see it completely disappearing, although it may shrink to becoming a very
small percentage of the overall photo market.

But I do predict that one-hour or drug store photofinishers will one day
become as extinct as Fotomat booths. The American consumer is going to be
all-digital. Of that I am convinced.

Actually I think the 1-hr places will probably hang in the longest. Most
are already digital hybrid, and if you've got a working system that does
process film, why not go ahead and process film?

I have one I use whenever I shoot 35mm C-41; have them process it w/o
any frills i.e. no CD, no cute little mini-contact sheet, no prints at
all - "Cut 'em in strips of 5 please. Here's the sleeve to put 'em in."

Take 'em home and look at 'em to see if there's anything I want to
print. If I do, I scan it, tweak it in Photoshop (levels, curves, crop -
spot out dust ... resize to print size) and then take it back to get a
genuine digital RA-4 process print.

All that's left then is mount it, frame it and find some sucker to buy it.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John
Old August 27th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Gordon Moat

Bandicoot wrote:
"no_name" wrote in message
. com...

jeremy wrote:

Does anyone really believe that all film will suddenly disappear?

Some of the digirati are hoping.

One has to wonder why, though it does seem to be the case. I drink tea, but
it doesn't mean I want coffee to go away. Some people just make no sense...

Peter

Hello Peter,

Perhaps because when there is no film, then digital imaging will not
need to be compared to film. Also, at whatever future point in time that
happens, a digital camera might just be called a camera.

The funny thing is that oil paints are vastly obsolete technology, yet
there are several companies still making them. I know, not film . . .
but at least with B/W films a very small operation can make these, and
provide chemicals to process them. If someone really wants to do some
unusual imaging, like processes from over one hundred years ago, there
is plenty of information available to make it possible.

I think it is mostly the practical aspect that when someone's local
store, or local lab no longer have anything to do with film processing,
or selling film, then film is essentially gone. Just look at Scott W.
living on the big island in Hawaii: no place to buy film, no lab to
process it . . . leaving no other choices for convenience.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com