35mm SLR for newbie

Old April 19th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default 35mm SLR for newbie

I've used a Nikon a few years ago for a few shots and you could manually
focus it but it also
had an "auto" mode or something where it focused itself.

Any thoughts on those?

Look into getting a Nikon N80, the build and specs/performance can't be beat
at the current pricepoint. I would advise buying new unless you're on an
absolute shoestring budget.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses guys, that really helps. I do have another
question, aren't there "auto-manual" cameras? I've used a Nikon a few
years ago for a few shots and you could manually focus it but it also
had an "auto" mode or something where it focused itself.

Any thoughts on those?

Thanks,

Kevin

Mike wrote:
Consider the used market. People are unloading their 35mm film cameras

in
droves as they march towards digital. Lots of great equipment at great
prices.

For example, you can probably find a used Canon Elan 7 in great

condition
for the same price as a brand new Canon Rebel.

www.keh.com is a solid place to buy used equipment. They back up
everything with a 30-day no risk guarantee. A "EX+" Canon Elan IIE

sells
for $99 at keh.com. An "EX+" will look brand new to you. Add $100 for
a lens and that is a solid camera (this is the previous generation Elan
7).

Or how about an "EX+" Nikon N80 camera body for $165?? This is a
fantastic, modern camera body that is definitely higher quality than a
Canon Rebel.

--Mike

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:58:07 -0700, kebuchan wrote:

Hi all,

I was looking into buy a non-digital SLR camera for my wife. She's an
amateur photographer, we have a 5.0 Digital (Minolta DiMage 7hi) that
we bought 3 years ago but she's been talking about getting a film
camera.

Anyway, wanted to surprise her with it and was looking at buying
something for her over the next few days. So far just looked at the
Canon EOS Rebel but am not sure what the differences are in the T1,

T2,
K2 etc etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also on the type of lens? I am
looking to spend between $200 to $250.

Thanks!

Kevin

Old April 19th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses guys, that really helps. I do have another
question, aren't there "auto-manual" cameras? I've used a Nikon a few
years ago for a few shots and you could manually focus it but it also
had an "auto" mode or something where it focused itself.

Any thoughts on those?

Thanks,

Kevin

Most auto-focusing SLR's have the ability to switch off the auto focus, and
focus them manually. My Nikon can do this, and I do use mostly non auto
focusing lenses with it. However, I can leave the auto focus switch on, and
still use the green led in the viewfinder to inform me when I am in focus.
The only difference is that I have to slew the focusing on the lens
manually, instead of having it slewed by a motor in the camera body or lens
itself.

Old April 19th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Gordon Moat wrote:
Thanks for your responses guys, that really helps. I do have another
question, aren't there "auto-manual" cameras? I've used a Nikon a few
years ago for a few shots and you could manually focus it but it also
had an "auto" mode or something where it focused itself.

I Nikon F4 has a focus confirmation in the viewfinder when using manual
focus lenses. I think that was one of the earliest like that, though
undoubtedly there are probably several other cameras that do that.

The 8008 also had it. The 8008 and it's slightly faster cousin the 8008s
cameras should be pretty cheap these days.

They are pretty good cameras even in comparison to the F4. The 8008 had
a "high eyepoint" finder, decent motor drive and lots of exposure modes.

The F4 had a lot of features that a pro would want, but IMHO would never
be used by the original poster. Such things as interchangeable finders,
ability to mount pre-AI lenses, manual film rewind, a motor drive
booster battery pack (with veritcal shutter release), and 5 rolls a film
a day, 365 days a year reliability.

The F4 was also bigger, heavier and much more complicated.

I'd look up the price for a used one at KEH, but their site is broken.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old April 20th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses guys, that really helps. I do have another
question, aren't there "auto-manual" cameras? I've used a Nikon a few
years ago for a few shots and you could manually focus it but it also
had an "auto" mode or something where it focused itself.

Any thoughts on those?

Thanks,

Kevin

One factor to consider is cost. The older manual focus bodies and
lenses are vastly less expensive than the more recent auto focus
offerings. This is particularly true for lenses. If your wife wouldn't
be embarrassed by using an "antique," consider going "vintage."

Older MF Canon lenses are incompatible with auto focus bodies, be they
digital or film. (Most/many Nikon, Oly, etc. lenses DO work, to one
degree or another, with modern cameras, so they hold better value.)
This is both a blessing and a curse. Since they're useless for any
recently build body (and, of course, any you might purchase in the
future!) you can buy some very nice vintage glass for next to nothing.
These lenses feature excellent optics and bombproof (real steel!)
construction. See
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/starka/CanonFD_ebay2.htm
At your cost point, you could buy an older MF body and several lenses.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SLRs/index.htm

and
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...SLRs/index.htm
Give a good rundown on older Canon stuff.

FWIW, I'd aim for an A1, AE1-P or the ugly-but-lovable (and very
functional) T-70. A clean T-90 makes an awesome picture taking machine,
but they're still a bit spendy. (Well worth it, IMO, if your wife's
gift will become an active hobby.) For lenses, a 24/2.8, 50/1.8 and
maybe a 200/4 (or tele zoom?) would make a good starting point, offering
excellent sharpness at bargain prices.

info. Ask away, but be sure to emphasize your price point; some of the
members are more into collecting, and lean strongly toward the
fancy/spendy path.

Of course there are dozens of equally superb Nikon, Pentax, Contax, etc.
models available!! http://photo.net/equipment/35mm/old-slrs

-Greg

Old April 22nd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Chris Loffredo wrote:
*Bright* doesn't always mean good focusing. Some of the brightest
screens that exist don't allow focusing at all (apart from any
additional focusing aids).

A first-rate focusing *system* (because it's not only the screen that
counts) is both bright *and* snaps into focus well.
The really good ones are few and far between.

The reason for the F80 not being "bright" is that it's not a "high eyepoint"
finder. The F60, F70 and F90 were all high eypoint, the F80 was the first
one in a long time of that series that were not. (The F5 was, the FM3a
was not). The F80 started the trend to smaller, darker, cheaper finders,
which was repeated in the Fx5 series, the F75, F65 and with an even cheaper
mirrors in a moudled box instead of a prism F55.

The F100 was and the F6 is high eyepoint.