35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

Old November 11th 04, 02:38 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

More good news about the 35mm-lens database
(http://www.exc.com/Photography ): Some of the old reports have been
restored. While I don't have the database from the old server, I do
have an old backup from before the old server, when I used to house
the server myself. And I've put those reports back on-line. Once
again, I'll be grateful if you can take a moment or two to help
repopulate this database.

-Joel

Old November 11th 04, 04:40 PM
Bill Tuthill

Alan Browne wrote:

Happily, there is a database at photozone that is full of lenses and user
evaluations. www.photozone.de . It also has a report on ratings given by
photography magazines and similar sources where the results are averaged
for each lens.

From my limited experience (just Minolta and Nikon systems, mostly)
Photozone's Lens Comparisons, from magazine tests, seem very reliable.
http://photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

www.photodo.com has measured sharpness and distortion data, but the graph
links are all screwed up and have not been repaired.

It was fixed recently, at least for me...

Old November 11th 04, 04:59 PM
Alan Browne

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Happily, there is a database at photozone that is full of lenses and user
evaluations. www.photozone.de . It also has a report on ratings given by
photography magazines and similar sources where the results are averaged
for each lens.

From my limited experience (just Minolta and Nikon systems, mostly)
Photozone's Lens Comparisons, from magazine tests, seem very reliable.
http://photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm

www.photodo.com has measured sharpness and distortion data, but the graph
links are all screwed up and have not been repaired.

It was fixed recently, at least for me...

Nope. Most of the MTF charts are still hard coded with an IP address that
didn't follow the new location of the other pages. I always (including after a
refresh) get a broken link symbol for the graph. I copy out the link, paste it
in the URL bar of a new windo, fix the link and then I get the graph. Decidedly
tedious when looking at several lenses...

I've written numerous times to the numerous alleged e-mails of the page owners
with no reply or effect.

Cheers,
Alan

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
Old December 16th 04, 03:16 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

More good news about the 35mm-lens database
(http://www.exc.com/Photography ): Some of the old reports have been
restored. While I don't have the database from the old server, I do
have an old backup from before the old server, when I used to house
the server myself. And I've put those reports back on-line. Once
again, I'll be grateful if you can take a moment or two to help
repopulate this database.

Someone just pointed out a bug in the database, wherein the results
page, displayed from:

http://www.exc.com/Photography/Lenses.cgi

only printed every other result. So if you've searched the database
recently, when you go back you'll find twice as many lenses
displayed. (The digitial camera database at

http://www.exc.com/Photography/digicams.cgi

suffered from the same flaw, but there aren't really enough reports
there yet to make that database all that useful.)

Enjoy.

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography