35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

Old November 10th 04, 02:25 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Default 35mm Lens Database back on-line (finally!)

We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at
http://www.exc.com/Photography . The good news is (1) it is back
on-line:

http://www.exc.com/Photography

or more directly:

http://www.exc.com/Phorography/Lenses.cgi

and (2) it will soon include a digital camera database.

The bad news is that the old lens database was wiped out. User reports
about lenses are often much more valuable than published specs. So if
you have time to enter information about lenses you own, now's the
time!

Thanks.

-Joel

Old November 10th 04, 03:17 PM
Alan Browne

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

The bad news is that the old lens database was wiped out. User reports
about lenses are often much more valuable than published specs. So if
you have time to enter information about lenses you own, now's the
time!

....happily, there is a database at photozone that is full of lenses and user
evaluations. www.photozone.de . It also has a report on ratings given by
photography magazines and similar sources where the results are averaged for
each lens.

.... www.photodo.com has measured sharpness and distortion data, but the graph
links are all screwed up and have not been repaired. You simply get the link to
the graphs and replace the IP with 'www.photodo.com' and then you can get the
graphs.

Cheers,
Alan

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

Old November 10th 04, 04:25 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

We used to have a wonderful resource for evaluating 35mm lenses ---
the on-line user-supported 35mm lens database at
http://www.exc.com/Photography . The good news is (1) it is back
on-line:

http://www.exc.com/Photography

or more directly:

http://www.exc.com/Phorography/Lenses.cgi

And, of course, that should be

http://www.exc.com/Photography/Lenses.cgi

-Joel
Old November 10th 04, 06:08 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

...happily, there is a database at photozone that is full of lenses and user
evaluations. www.photozone.de . It also has a report on ratings given by
photography magazines and similar sources where the results are averaged for
each lens.

It looks great. Unfortunately, that database doesn't seem to have a
place for comments, which can be particularly useful, both in
evaluating a lens an in evaluating the person submitting the report.
Nor can one look at individual results. (Surprisingly, the DB also
doesn't have Olympus lenses. Http://exc.com/Photography has --- well,
used to have, and hopefully will have again --- Olympus and a wide
variety of other manufacturers.) Having cumulatie results and
individual responses was a nice treat that, hopefully, we'll have
again.

-Joel

Old November 10th 04, 06:56 PM
Stephen H. Westin

(Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) writes:

...happily, there is a database at photozone that is full of lenses and user
evaluations.
www.photozone.de . It also has a report on ratings given by
photography magazines and similar sources where the results are averaged for
each lens.

It looks great. Unfortunately, that database doesn't seem to have a
place for comments, which can be particularly useful, both in
evaluating a lens an in evaluating the person submitting the report.
Nor can one look at individual results. (Surprisingly, the DB also
doesn't have Olympus lenses. Http://exc.com/Photography has --- well,
used to have, and hopefully will have again --- Olympus and a wide
variety of other manufacturers.) Having cumulatie results and
individual responses was a nice treat that, hopefully, we'll have
again.

The worst thing about Photodo is that it seems not to have been
updated in the last four years, as far as I can tell. I think the
broken links are a byproduct of that; they are numerical addresses,
and I think the numerical address has changed without anyone updating
the links. Using a single number to rate a lens is, of course, a bit
silly, but the MTF charts were useful, especially as they were
measured at Hasselblad, as I recall.

--
-Stephen H. Westin

Old November 10th 04, 09:07 PM
TP

"Eric Miller" wrote:

You can find plenty of user commentary at www.photographyreview.com.

Ah yes, www.photographyBEWARE.com.

I have grave doubts whether more then a small percentage of the
"reviewers" at that site have ever *seen* the equipments they are
"reviewing", let alone used them. There are so many examples of
"users" hyping products they clearly don't know anything about that
the whole site is worse than useless.

Old November 11th 04, 07:30 AM
DALLAS

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:07:11 +0000, TP wrote:

"Eric Miller" wrote:

You can find plenty of user commentary at www.photographyreview.com.

Ah yes, www.photographyBEWARE.com.

I have grave doubts whether more then a small percentage of the
"reviewers" at that site have ever *seen* the equipments they are
"reviewing", let alone used them. There are so many examples of
"users" hyping products they clearly don't know anything about that
the whole site is worse than useless.

So why do you let it bother you, your Highness?