Canon 10D

Old October 17th 04, 02:45 PM
Art Salmons

Default Canon 10D

I'm currently a film only photographer with a Canon system. I have two
Canon 1N bodies and the following lens.

Canon 20mm f2.8
Canon 50mm Mark I f1.8
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro (does the macro lens still work on the 10D as a
macro)
Canon 28-70mm f2.8 L
Canon 28-135mm IS

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 10D to start shooting digital and I
was wondering what accessories I would need. Do they make a vertical
grip? What size memory cards and how many, how many spare batteries?

I understand the multiplier factor for the lens and I just sold a non
IS 300mm f4 L which I will probably regret once I go digital because a
480mm f4 would be awesome.

I'm also thinking of getting a 70-200mm f4 L. I Know I would love the
f2.8 IS version of this lens I don't want to spend the extra money and
quite frankly lug around the extra weight. I sold my 80-200mm 2.8 L
because I never used it and didn't like the weight. The 70-200mm f4
would be a 112-320mm f4 lens, which at least seems like a nice
solution.

I just bought the 28-135mm IS lens and haven't used it yet but it
seems like a perfect lens for walking around at 45mm-216mm IS lens.
The 70-200mm f4 may be redundant so I'd like some thoughts from this
group. Another option is the 200mm f2.8 L lens which equates to a
320mm f2.8 lens.

Sorry this is so long.

Art Salmons
Old October 17th 04, 03:25 PM
Joseph Meehan

Art Salmons wrote:
I'm currently a film only photographer with a Canon system. I have two
Canon 1N bodies and the following lens.

Canon 20mm f2.8
Canon 50mm Mark I f1.8
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro (does the macro lens still work on the 10D as a
macro)
Canon 28-70mm f2.8 L
Canon 28-135mm IS

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 10D to start shooting digital and I
was wondering what accessories I would need. Do they make a vertical
grip?

Yes.

What size memory cards and how many,

The come in various sizes. I suggest starting with one or two 1 or 2
gig cards. You can buy more anytime. Less than 1 gig is a bother IMO.

how many spare batteries?

I believe the vertical grip accepts AA's or the rechargeable Lithium. I
believe you can use two Lithiums in it. I suggest that you start with the
lithium that comes with it or add one more if you like. Test out AA's (less
capacity than the (lithium) and buy what you need or want locally. NiH is
the AA of choice although I believe it will accept Alk as well.

BTW a lot of the "I thinks" are due to the fact that I have the D20 and
they share a lot of features, but some details may be different, If it is
important to you check before you buy.

Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old October 17th 04, 03:38 PM
GT40

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:25:54 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Art Salmons wrote:
[...]

The grip for the 10D only takes the Canon Lithium Ion batteries, not
AA's

Old October 17th 04, 07:42 PM
Art Salmons

I believe the vertical grip accepts AA's or the rechargeable Lithium. I
believe you can use two Lithiums in it. I suggest that you start with the
lithium that comes with it or add one more if you like. Test out AA's (less
capacity than the (lithium) and buy what you need or want locally. NiH is
the AA of choice although I believe it will accept Alk as well.

The grip for the 10D only takes the Canon Lithium Ion batteries, not
AA's

Whats the model number for the grip

Thanks, Art

Old October 17th 04, 08:54 PM
Doone

Hi Art,

I've had a 10D since they first came out. It is my third Canon DSLR. All have performed satisfactorily for me, recognizing that each newer
generation has offered improvements over the latter. The 10D is a bit heavy, but that's not a problem for me.

See my comments below

On 17 Oct 2004 06:45:50 -0700, (Art Salmons) wrote:

I'm currently a film only photographer with a Canon system. I have two
Canon 1N bodies and the following lens.

Canon 20mm f2.8
Canon 50mm Mark I f1.8
Canon 85mm f1.8
Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro (does the macro lens still work on the 10D as a
macro)

Yes, but you don't really need the 85mm if you keep the 100mm. You will likely lose one f stop on the digital.

Canon 28-70mm f2.8 L

You can probably sell the 28-70. The 28-135 will give you the same range plus.

Canon 28-135mm IS

I'm thinking of getting a Canon 10D to start shooting digital and I
was wondering what accessories I would need. Do they make a vertical
grip? What size memory cards and how many, how many spare batteries?

I have the additional grip which is always attached to my camera and find it indispensable. It houses two Lithium batteries, and has the
shutter button, main dial, AE/FE lock and AF point selector as well as an on/off switch. I always carry 4 batteries with me on field trips
though two batteries will allow me to shoot about 600 RAW images easily. I carry the extras in my pocket in cooler weather as a backup.
Keeping them warm increases their strength.

I understand the multiplier factor for the lens and I just sold a non
IS 300mm f4 L which I will probably regret once I go digital because a
480mm f4 would be awesome.

I have a 100-400MM lens. An essential lens for wildlife photography, and for improved DOF when shooting certain things.

I'm also thinking of getting a 70-200mm f4 L. I Know I would love the
f2.8 IS version of this lens I don't want to spend the extra money and
quite frankly lug around the extra weight. I sold my 80-200mm 2.8 L
because I never used it and didn't like the weight. The 70-200mm f4
would be a 112-320mm f4 lens, which at least seems like a nice
solution.

I had this lens and sold it. While it is nice glass, it never seemed to be quite enough, that's why I went with the 100-400.

I just bought the 28-135mm IS lens and haven't used it yet but it
seems like a perfect lens for walking around at 45mm-216mm IS lens.
The 70-200mm f4 may be redundant so I'd like some thoughts from this
group. Another option is the 200mm f2.8 L lens which equates to a
320mm f2.8 lens.

The 28-135 is an essential lens in my opinion. It is the one most frequently found on my 10D.

Sorry this is so long.

Art Salmons

Good shooting Art. Digital has completely changed the way I look at photography. Field trips become an exciting event after returning home
and seeing what the day has provided

Doone

Old October 17th 04, 09:14 PM
Mark M

"Art Salmons" wrote in message
om...
I believe the vertical grip accepts AA's or the rechargeable

Lithium. I
believe you can use two Lithiums in it. I suggest that you start with

the
lithium that comes with it or add one more if you like. Test out AA's

(less
capacity than the (lithium) and buy what you need or want locally.

NiH is
the AA of choice although I believe it will accept Alk as well.

The grip for the 10D only takes the Canon Lithium Ion batteries, not
AA's

Whats the model number for the grip

The grip is called the BG-ED3, and it does NOT accept AAs.
It's the same grip that fit the D30 and D60.
The 20D has it's own model grip due to it's smaller camera body width.
AAs can be used with the 20D grip...but not the 10D one.

The grip is definitely worth having, IMHO.
Also... Forget the Canon batteries!
-Instead, buy the excellent, less expensive ($34.99 vs 49.95 for Canon's
weaker battery!), and better performing (1500mA vs. 1380 for the Canon)
batteries from Power2000.

Here's the URL for them at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=232733&is=REG

-Mark