Basic camera query: which one (Canon vs. Sony)

Old October 14th 04, 03:11 PM
MB_

Default Basic camera query: which one (Canon vs. Sony)

We are looking for our first digital camera. It will be used in a general
sort of ways: vacations, family get-together, grandchild, etc.

I had decided I liked the Canon Powershot A75.
I went to Best Buy to check out the prices and look at more cameras.
The Price was $199.99.

I also saw a Sony Cyber-Shot, Model DSCP41. It is on sale for $179.99.

The Canon has 3.2 mpix; the Sony has 4.1. (I had determined that 3.2 should
be more than adequate for our purposes, but 4.1 might be better??). The
Canon has 12 scene settings; the Sony has 6. I'm not sure if that really
matters. I forgot to compare the zoom features. I remember the Canon seemed
pretty good.

One thing we really liked about the Sony: it was smaller than the Canon,
hence easier to carry in a purse or bag.

Still, previously I had wanted the Canon. But the price of the Sony looks
good for a 4 mpix.

So, before making a final decision, any opinions from you folks???

Mel

Old October 14th 04, 03:25 PM
Dave Cobb

You better be comfortable with the memory prices for Sony! Batteries are
probably different too.

Old October 14th 04, 07:19 PM
Martin Francis

"MB_" wrote in message
We are looking for our first digital camera. It will be used in a general
sort of ways: vacations, family get-together, grandchild, etc.

I had decided I liked the Canon Powershot A75.
I went to Best Buy to check out the prices and look at more cameras.
The Price was $199.99.

I also saw a Sony Cyber-Shot, Model DSCP41. It is on sale for $179.99.

The Canon has 3.2 mpix; the Sony has 4.1. (I had determined that 3.2

should
be more than adequate for our purposes, but 4.1 might be better??). The
Canon has 12 scene settings; the Sony has 6. I'm not sure if that really
matters. I forgot to compare the zoom features. I remember the Canon

seemed
pretty good.

If absence of zoom on the Sony sounds "pretty good", fine. The digital zoom
feature is unadulterated crap.

Still, previously I had wanted the Canon. But the price of the Sony looks
good for a 4 mpix.

So, before making a final decision, any opinions from you folks???

If scene modes, a true optical zoom lens, aperture and shutter priority,
cheap and widely available media, and reasonable pedigree all appeal to you,
go with the Canon. If you prefer smaller size, higher resolution, and better
video clips, go Sony. I know i'd regret the latter (actually i'd regret the
former, given that i'd consider the A95 better value).

no, and yes...."

Old October 14th 04, 10:01 PM
Larry

says...
[...]

Im a Sony fan and owner of Several Sony Cameras, but the choice you present
makes me tell you to buy the Canon.

Reasons:

AA batteries
CF card memory

Though Im happy with the picture quality from the Sony cameras I own (V1,
F717, F828) The limiting factor on two of these (717, V1) is the price of
memory sticks. Even the non-Sony branded memory sticks are much more
expensive than cf-cards.

The proprietary battery in most Sony cameras is VERY EXPENSIVE and some
recent cameras from Sony can tell if you use a non-oem battery, and will tell
you on the viewscreen you MUST use a Sony Info-Lithium in the camera, then
the camera shuts off.

I've had this problem with My F-828 using a radioshack info-lithium clone
that works in all my other sony cameras that it fits (including my digital 8
cam corder).

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old October 14th 04, 10:35 PM
Scott

You can get the Canon Powershot A75 for $179 (and no sales tax):
http://digital-camera.review-center....SIN=B0001G6U4S

Or you can get the Sony Cyber-Shot, Model DSCP41 for $168.95 (and no sales tax):
http://digital-camera.review-center....SIN=B0001G6U8O

Both excellent cameras!

-Scott

Old October 15th 04, 01:09 AM
Jer

Larry wrote:

[....]

The proprietary battery in most Sony cameras is VERY EXPENSIVE and some
recent cameras from Sony can tell if you use a non-oem battery, and will tell
you on the viewscreen you MUST use a Sony Info-Lithium in the camera, then
the camera shuts off.

I've had this problem with My F-828 using a radioshack info-lithium clone
that works in all my other sony cameras that it fits (including my digital 8
cam corder).

Sony uses DNA-laced batteries? Damn, that's evil.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'