Apple Macs: Can't upgrade, can barely repair them.

Old May 31st 21, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Apple Macs: Can't upgrade, can barely repair them.

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

It has sort
of crashed once or twice, but rebooting cleared I up.

the app or the entire mac?

The entire Mac. I canıt remember exactly what happened, but I couldnıt do
much of anything anywhere. It was no big deal - I was able to use the mouse
to reboot.

no way to diagnose that now, but nothing is perfect.
Old May 31st 21, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

And my ~1 year update on the MacBook for anyone interested: it does, as
they say, ³just work². The only problems Iıve had have been the native mail
client, and that seems to have sorted itself out, and the spinning beach

Apple Mail is good until it isn't.

Thatıs mostly how I feel about it. I donıt put any demands on it because
I donıt work anymore. Itıs just simple, basic personal use. It works okay
for that until it crashes. Itıs been good for a while for that, now.

i've never seen apple mail crash.

however, i have seen it frequently fail to properly sync mail, plus its
filters are a lost cause.

unfortunately, other email apps are worse.
Old May 31st 21, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2021-05-31 10:55, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 30 May 2021 at 15:17:17 UTC-4, Alfred Molon wrote:
Am 29.05.2021 um 16:30 schrieb Alan Browne:
Yep just like many all-in-one computers from various companies.

With the one I'm using now, I can upgrade the RAM, the SSD and the 3.5" HDD.
--
Alfred Molon

I loved where people who might want to increase/upgrade ram or a CPU are called, "geeks" by
Apple-sheep.

I've upgraded RAM on several Macs including this one, Macs at work, etc.

CPU's are another matter, but on most Mac Pros it is certainly doable.

It's theoretically possible to upgrade a 2020 i7 iMac to i9. No reports
that I can find that anyone actually did it.

There are a couple guys who managed to upgrade the RAM on an M1 Mac
Mini, but that is way beyond most people's skill set - and requires the
right sort of equipment to do it reliably.

IAC, I will order my new Mac with ample RAM for a 10 year run.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old May 31st 21, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 31, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

It has sort
of crashed once or twice, but rebooting cleared I up.

the app or the entire mac?

The entire Mac. I canÂıt remember exactly what happened, but I couldnÂıt do
much of anything anywhere. It was no big deal - I was able to use the mouse
to reboot.

no way to diagnose that now, but nothing is perfect.

I finally remembered what actually happened - crippled internet connection. I
kept getting messages of “no internet”, but I did have internet, just
very slow, and it was the same in Chrome, Safari, and apps. And my ISP was
fine on my phone and other computers. I had no idea what to look at, so I
rebooted, and that fixed it.

Old May 31st 21, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

I doubt I'll do as well trying to sell this iMac, however. The jump
from intel to Mx will make this a dinosaur fast.

only because intel has stagnated for the past decade.

To Hell with Intel. AMD is a better choice.

neither are a good choice.
Old May 31st 21, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

It has sort
of crashed once or twice, but rebooting cleared I up.

the app or the entire mac?

The entire Mac. I can1t remember exactly what happened, but I couldn1t do
much of anything anywhere. It was no big deal - I was able to use the
mouse
to reboot.

no way to diagnose that now, but nothing is perfect.

I finally remembered what actually happened - crippled internet connection. I
kept getting messages of ³no internet², but I did have internet, just
very slow, and it was the same in Chrome, Safari, and apps. And my ISP was
fine on my phone and other computers. I had no idea what to look at, so I
rebooted, and that fixed it.

if it was network connectivity, then disabling/re-enabling networking
would likely have sufficed.

rebooting is a sledge hammer, when a small screwdriver is all that's
needed.
Old May 31st 21, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 31, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

And my ~1 year update on the MacBook for anyone interested: it does, as
they say, ³just work². The only problems IÂıve had have been the native
mail
client, and that seems to have sorted itself out, and the spinning beach

Apple Mail is good until it isn't.

ThatÂıs mostly how I feel about it. I donÂıt put any demands on it because
I donÂıt work anymore. ItÂıs just simple, basic personal use. It works okay
for that until it crashes. ItÂıs been good for a while for that, now.

i've never seen apple mail crash.

It disappears, and then won’t reopen. The fix to get back up is easily
found with Google, and it appears to be fairly common:
https://macreports.com/mail-keeps-crashing-on-mac/. That is now in my
favorites, and I’ve had to use it 3 times now, but it’s been quite some
time since the last one. It wasn’t a big deal - I never lost anything but a
little time.

Old May 31st 21, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

Apple Mail is good until it isn't.

That1s mostly how I feel about it. I don1t put any demands on it because
I don1t work anymore. It1s just simple, basic personal use. It works okay
for that until it crashes. It1s been good for a while for that, now.

i've never seen apple mail crash.

It disappears, and then wonıt reopen. The fix to get back up is easily
found with Google, and it appears to be fairly common:
https://macreports.com/mail-keeps-crashing-on-mac/. That is now in my
favorites, and Iıve had to use it 3 times now, but itıs been quite some
time since the last one. It wasnıt a big deal - I never lost anything but a
little time.

rebuilding the mail store might help or recreating the account (which
would build it from scratch).

resetting nvram will have no effect whatsoever, which means the author
has no clue and is just filing space, likely for seo purposes.
Old May 31st 21, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 31, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

[...]

That just goes back to my unfamiliarity with MacOS. I knew how to quickly
reboot, but not how to quickly turn networking on and off, even though I’m
sure it’s pretty simple.

And for anyone reading this who might be in a similar situation as me -
living in a ruralish area - I got T-Mobile Home Internet, a cell based ISP. I
am admittedly within a mile of the nearest cell tower, but I do get over
100Mbps, and it’s only $60/month with no data caps or throttling. Verizon
has also started a similar service, but both are available only in limited
areas right now. I do recommend them. Good customer service, too from
T-Mobile.

Old May 31st 21, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
, Bill W
wrote:

I finally remembered what actually happened - crippled internet
connection.
kept getting messages of 3no internet2, but I did have internet, just
very slow, and it was the same in Chrome, Safari, and apps. And my ISP was
fine on my phone and other computers. I had no idea what to look at, so I
rebooted, and that fixed it.

if it was network connectivity, then disabling/re-enabling networking
would likely have sufficed.

rebooting is a sledge hammer, when a small screwdriver is all that's
needed.

That just goes back to my unfamiliarity with MacOS. I knew how to quickly
reboot, but not how to quickly turn networking on and off, even though Iım
sure itıs pretty simple.

apple menu, system preferences, network preference pane.

if the seemingly random arrangement of preference panes makes no sense
(quite likely) you can switch to alphabetical in the view menu. another
option is use the search field to find the relevant panes for whatever
setting you want to change.

And for anyone reading this who might be in a similar situation as me -
living in a ruralish area - I got T-Mobile Home Internet, a cell based ISP. I
am admittedly within a mile of the nearest cell tower, but I do get over
100Mbps, and itıs only $60/month with no data caps or throttling. Verizon
has also started a similar service, but both are available only in limited
areas right now. I do recommend them. Good customer service, too from
T-Mobile.

this might be of interest:
https://www.netgear.com/home/mobile-wifi/hotspots/mr1100/