Opinions Wanted

Old May 25th 14, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Opinions Wanted

On Sat, 24 May 2014 11:35:48 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/23/2014 10:24 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

smip

Now it's
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...s0Am5pTwRtDQva

In your BW conversion you seem to have lost the texture in the sky. I
lit a subtle sky with texture, the green foreground a darker green, and
the bare branches gone. I don't think you need them.
Please post another link to the NEF and I should have a chance to play
later today.

Link coming up:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC1370.NEF

Eric Stevens
Old May 25th 14, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On 5/23/2014 10:24 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

smip

Now it's
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...s0Am5pTwRtDQva

In your BW conversion you seem to have lost the texture in the sky. I
lit a subtle sky with texture, the green foreground a darker green, and
the bare branches gone. I don't think you need them.
Please post another link to the NEF and I should have a chance to play
later today.

I don't think Dropbox photos helps the images. Here is a JPG of my
quick and dirty B&W.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...26W%20copy.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old May 25th 14, 12:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 24 May 2014 11:27:11 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/23/2014 8:00 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:22 -0700, John McWilliams

On 2014-05-23 12:42:13 +0000, Savageduck

On 2014-05-23 11:29:25 +0000, Savageduck
said:

Snipped bits out

OK! First the ACR adjustments.
This time I used *Camera Neutral* instead of *Camera Standard*
Then I fixed the spots.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_708.jpg

Next the CA adjustment.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_710.jpg

Now the basic adjustments including black & white point setting.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_711.jpg

Then a further adjustment to the foreground using the adjustment brush.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_712.jpg

Finally in ACR some sharpening. Note the settings with a fairly heavy
handed on the masking to exclude the areas where sharpening is not
wanted.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_709.jpg

Only resizing and crop was done in PS CC, and the final version added
to the DB folder with the other two. No additional sharpening.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/10ne14df8...Eric%20Project

BTW:

Here was my crop POV.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_714.jpg

For my taste, foreground is too crunchy, diverts attention.

As to cropping, I'd like to see more open space- a gap in the flora- on
the left side, showing a bit of open ocean.

I also like the B+W better.

How about:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

Error 404.

Dropbox seems to be playing games with me today. I think that was
supposed to be my B&W, URL's for which I've already posted in another
article.

Eric Stevens
Old May 25th 14, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-24 23:06:12 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Wed, 21 May 2014 15:46:16 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Some years ago I used my trusty D70 to take a photograph of a west
coast bay in rough conditions. Recently I've been trying to arrive at
a composition suitable for printing on matte paper in A2 size and
suitable for framing and hanging on a wall.

My present problem is that every member of my family has a different
idea of the best composition and in an attempt to bring peace I have
made three different versions. That hasn't really helped as I now have
three different sets of strong opinions.

I know that computer monitors are not ideal for viewing and proofing
prints of this kind but I am interested in gathering the opinions of
anyone in this newsgroup who is bold enough to state one. You can find
a JPG of each version in:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...M2OQuylz7CgFza

A surpringly large number of people have responded to my email above,
for which I am very grateful. I would like to thank everyone for
responding.

Opinions were expressed with 2 as the very clear favourite as follows:

In favour of 1 2 3
0 10 1

I will now admit I wasn't completely honest in my initial article. I
had already made my decision in favour of 2 about a week before I
posted article. I had arranged for the print to be framed and in view
of the conflicting opinions expressed in this house I wanted to find
outwhether or not I had no taste or merely very poor taste. In any
case, here is the framed print alongside the one it was suppose to
match.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...s0Am5pTwRtDQva

Notice the difference in the colour of the matting. I was never
entirely happy with the colour of matte on the left and now I am less
happy.

Before anyone comments: I have two small spotlights up on the ceiling
and these have yet to be correctly re-aimed.

The off white, two tone matte is OK. It would just have been nice to
have matched mattes in both frames. It might be worthwhile getting one,
or the other, or both, re-matted.

Savageduck

Old May 25th 14, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

On 5/23/2014 10:24 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

smip

Now it's
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...s0Am5pTwRtDQva

In your BW conversion you seem to have lost the texture in the sky. I
lit a subtle sky with texture, the green foreground a darker green, and
the bare branches gone. I don't think you need them.
Please post another link to the NEF and I should have a chance to play
later today.

I don't think Dropbox photos helps the images. Here is a JPG of my
quick and dirty B&W.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...26W%20copy.jpg

Sorry that doesn't work for me. It is neither here, nor there as a B&W
conversion. Your opacity adjusted layer technique isn't right for that
image. The way it is presented it has a bad selective color feel to it,
and the contrast for the hills looks too harsh.
This is where I prefer my softer approach with the sight selenium tone.
https://db.tt/TT7e6kYX

Savageduck

Old May 25th 14, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Yours works better in a smaller print viewed more closely. I think
mine works better in a larger print likely to be viewed from across a
room. Mind you, I'm not going to print a large and small of each to
find out whether I'm right or not. :-)

My views have nothing to do with the fact that I can't find a quick
and dirty way in PS to emulate your image. I have several ideas which
will make it a piece of cake if they work. I would particularly like
to try a gradient 50% grey fill. Right now I'm going to have lunch.

Considering everything overall, this has been a very helpful
discussion.

Eric Stevens
Old May 25th 14, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

I'm going to.

Eric Stevens
Old May 25th 14, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-24 23:17:30 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

Le Snip

[...]

I am not really a fan of “quick & dirty” B&W conversions, straight
greyscale mode changes, etc. I feel that I can get so much more out of
the original by using a color sensitivity adjustment, or filter
approach in ACR, LR5, or with a dedicated plugin such as NIK Silver
Efex Pro 2.
That way I can take a relatively bland shot and get an acceptable B&W
rendition.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_718.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...951_Edit-3.jpg

BTW: One might be tempted to comment on the level of the horizon, but
from that position out on the Carrizo Plain, which is bisected by the
San Andreas Fault Zone, there is very defined rise from West to East.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_719.jpg

Savageduck

Old May 25th 14, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 2014-05-24 23:17:30 +0000, Eric Stevens
said:

Le Snip

[...]

I like it.

--
PeterN
Old May 25th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

On 5/23/2014 10:24 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:

smip

Now it's
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ok28ebd3p...s0Am5pTwRtDQva

In your BW conversion you seem to have lost the texture in the sky. I
lit a subtle sky with texture, the green foreground a darker green, and
the bare branches gone. I don't think you need them.
Please post another link to the NEF and I should have a chance to play
later today.

Link coming up:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC1370.NEF

Here is my version, using a 2 x 3 aspect ratio:

I saved a layered tif. To help you to follow what I did, the layers are
labeled.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Eric%20file.tif

I had some DB issues, so I also saved a jpeg. I assigned the ICC profile
Adobe RGB to maintain tonal integrity.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Eric%20file.jpg

--
PeterN