35mm: where to from here?

Old May 3rd 05, 09:45 AM
Roxy d'Urban

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:23:53 -0700, Mark² wrote:

Sounds like you need some basic categorization...
I do everything by braod category...then by years as sub to those
categories.
Within each sub-category year, I name folders based on the event.

What I have been doing of late is creating a folder for each month of the
year and dumping all my images into those respective folders. Trouble with
this is that Windows sorts the bloody things alphabetically, so April
comes first, then August, then December... What's wrong with those 'nana's
at Microsoft??? ;-)

In addition to this, many photo viewers offer calendars which will show you
all images on a particular day, or span of days.

I use ACDSee and have never lost anything...ever.

I had that for a while but I canned it because it was just too slow.
Windows Explorer is okay (except for it's sorting).

--
"My beef about digital is that you see certain images out
there, and things are so digital and retouched that you lose
Old May 3rd 05, 12:07 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Nuttin wrong with them engineers, you don't understand sorting engines...
Name your months numerically 2005.1, 2005.2etc.... Or like this A-January,
B-February... Or watch StarTrek and pick up their fancy date/time scheme...
denny

Old May 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
Paul Bielec

Roxy d'Urban wrote:
[...]

2005_04_29_description
they are always in order this way.
Old May 3rd 05, 02:37 PM
Paul Bielec

Philip Homburg wrote:

In article ,
Longfellow wrote:

OTOH, photography nowadays is becomimg part and parcel of the same sort
of mindset: DSLRs presume the dependable presence of a computer, or
appropriate image rendering device. I observe the looming concern of
cyber-ergonomics, such that one "wears" one's digital devices as a layer
of clothing. Thus one needs be "dressed" in order to enjoy one's
images? Part of that apparel will probably be some form of solar arrays
that will free one from the present constraint mentioned above.

Don't know how far away we are from this state of affairs, but I doubt
I'll partake. Different strokes...

I think that prints were the exception rather than the rule. Viewing
slides by holding them towards a light source is not all that pleasant.
Of course you need a projector for movies, you need equipment for records
and CDs, for video, for DVDs, etc.

That said, I very much prefer prints to viewing images on a computer screen.

Same here. That's why we still print all shots we like.
Old May 3rd 05, 03:46 PM
Mark²

"Roxy d'Urban" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:23:53 -0700, Mark² wrote:

Sounds like you need some basic categorization...
I do everything by braod category...then by years as sub to those
categories.
Within each sub-category year, I name folders based on the event.

What I have been doing of late is creating a folder for each month of the
year and dumping all my images into those respective folders. Trouble with
this is that Windows sorts the bloody things alphabetically, so April
comes first, then August, then December... What's wrong with those 'nana's
at Microsoft??? ;-)

You have to be smarter than the computer...
Name your months by their number (01, 02) if you really like their actual
NAMES, name them "01January, 01February, etc. This really isn't very tough.

In addition to this, many photo viewers offer calendars which will show
you
all images on a particular day, or span of days.

I use ACDSee and have never lost anything...ever.

I had that for a while but I canned it because it was just too slow.
Windows Explorer is okay (except for it's sorting).

ACDSEE catalogues over 150,000 images for me, and it's blazingly fast.
Something is wrong on your end...or...you have the wrong version of ACDSee.
Version 7 is rock solid fast.

Old May 4th 05, 02:54 AM
Mark²

"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

[...]

Oops...
(02February...03March...etc. so the months are presented in the correct
order).

Old May 4th 05, 04:31 AM
Mr. Mark

It took me a long time to
learn to burn my files into a CD with the CD burner that came with my new
machine. I become annoyed easily at new software that isn't user friendly,
and I resent having to learn new ways of doing things that are aren't

really
any better than the old way....Only different.

Well, I'm 36 and I am exactly the same way.

Since reading "The Design of Everyday Things" by Donald Norman eight years
ago, I'm even more cynical and annoyed by today's software. This extends to
some camera designs that make it clear to me that no one ever took one of
these babies into the field to shoot a few photos before lifting the designs
out of the CAD images and into the manufacturing line. :/

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Corporate
http://www.onelauter.com

Old May 4th 05, 07:16 AM
William Graham

"Mr. Mark" wrote in message
. ..
It took me a long time to
learn to burn my files into a CD with the CD burner that came with my new
machine. I become annoyed easily at new software that isn't user
friendly,
and I resent having to learn new ways of doing things that are aren't

really
any better than the old way....Only different.

Well, I'm 36 and I am exactly the same way.

Since reading "The Design of Everyday Things" by Donald Norman eight years
ago, I'm even more cynical and annoyed by today's software. This extends
some camera designs that make it clear to me that no one ever took one of
these babies into the field to shoot a few photos before lifting the
designs
out of the CAD images and into the manufacturing line. :/

--
Mark

Yes.....Sometimes its astounding how manufacturers can screw up what would
otherwise be a brilliant design. I think part of my problem is not being
willing to learn things twice. I am willing to put out the effort to learn
it the first time, and then I expect to be able to use that knowledge for
the rest of my life....This explains why I went into mathematics and hated
geography. Once they changed the name of some country to something else, I
threw the book away and said, "That's it! - I'm not going to relearn the new
name." But the math I see in the latest textbook is exactly the same as the
math in the 1890's book I find in the antique bookstore......