Canon A70...loose internal connector?

Old November 4th 04, 02:41 PM
nafod40

Default Canon A70...loose internal connector?

Yep, I have an A70. Just the other day (out of warranty, of course) I
started getting a psychedelic screen on my LCD. It wasn't just the LCD,
it's in the pictures I take.

Tried the universal repair method of gnetly tapping on top and sides,
and that fixed it. More tapping duplicates the error. Something is loose
in its innards.

I am loathe to send it off to Canon for a $100+ repair.

Anybody else ever have this problem? I downloaded the parts list with
the exploded view of hte A70 that someone else posted to the forum. Any
idea which connection might be the culprit? Or is it more likely to be a
poor solder joint on a board, in which case I'm probably screwed?

Wish I'd known about the A70 relaibility problems sooner, as in before I
bought it.

What would be a recommended replacement? Not a Canon, of course. I'd
like similar features, the ability to do movies with sound, 3+
megapixels, use AA batteries, and CF card.

Old November 4th 04, 05:13 PM
Steve

nafod40 wrote:
[...]

nafod40:

I replaced a defective A series Canon that Canon failed to repair 3 times
with a Nikon Coolpix 3100 and I do no regret the move away from Canon and
over to Nikon. As you found out the hard way, the A series Canons are not
known for their reliability. If you want to stick with CF, Nikon has
unfortunately replaced the 3100 with the 3200 which uses SD. If you can
find a 3100 (there are still some out there), then I highly recommend it.

Good luck,

Steve

Old November 5th 04, 12:31 AM
tomcas

nafod40 wrote:
[...]

I'd like to offer to repair it for you, $30 if I fix it, $0 if I can't.
Problem is I can't figure out a way to assure you I'm not a scam artist.
You wouldn't happen to be located in Connecticut?